Et tu, Steak n' Shake? Ejected for OC...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrubaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Yes. We were perfectly civil customers before and during the manager's questions. We weren't dressed liked hoodlums. We weren't loud or obnoxious. No one appeared to be panicked or terrified. It's definitely frustrating to be singled out when well within my rights. I would like to get in contact with corporate. Any suggestions about what I should try and communicate with them?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The key factor was South Bend. Manager and staff are influenced by that liberal college up there. Students are indoctrinated there. Con tact corporate. Tell them about INGO. 20k customers in the state carries weight.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I don't OC much, but I just happened to be at Mooresville Steak-n-Shake tonight eating dinner with my wife and MIL. I was CC so nobody knew except the people I was with. The reason I say this is that it is a safe bet you were not the only ones there armed at the time. I would not go to a Steak-n-Shake where the manager throws people out for carrying.

BTW, Great video someone posted in #36.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yes. We were perfectly civil customers before and during the manager's questions. We weren't dressed liked hoodlums. We weren't loud or obnoxious. No one appeared to be panicked or terrified. It's definitely frustrating to be singled out when well within my rights. I would like to get in contact with corporate. Any suggestions about what I should try and communicate with them?

I personally prefer direct communication, and collecting a name and number from (preferably) the manager of a reasonably nearby location (i.e., within the same district manager's district) would seem to be the way to go. Worst likely case, the manager will go the other way and take contact information for the DM to call you. It is a lot easier than trying to craft the perfect typed message via the website and wonder who may end up responding to it. As for the conversation, just tell the story the same way you would tell me or anyone else here. Poor treatment of paying customers makes its own argument.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Last time I ate at Steak n Shake I was buck naked except for my Rossi .357 Magnum and my backup .380 on my ankle...no one said a word to me.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Ride a bicycle through the drive thru:D

My wife and I laughed for real on that one.. (she isn't aware of the evansville thing).. although, I don't think it would have the same effect...

On a side note, Shake-n-Steak is a bit of a haul from my house to be riding (fat guy not in such good shape).. although.. I could toss the GSG and my bicycle in my truck, drive down there (cheating, i know) THEN hop on the bicycle, and have my wife get it on video from the parking lot.... :D

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Maybe everyone in the area should stop by at the same time OC'ing and see what the manager does.:):

I would TOTALLY be down for an OC breakfast followed by range time at Kodiak :rockwoot:

Who's in ?? (heck, if we can get enough ppl, I might be the smart alec sap that rides a bicycle through the drive thru w/ a rifle slung to my back)

"why yes officer, I am going to the range with breakfast" :laugh::laugh:

jbrubaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Actually an OC event at the Steak 'n Shake was more or less the first idea that struck me after they asked me to leave. And Kodiak is right there...

Who wants to organize...

Madine85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Same here! They did have a management problem a few years ago, which caused me to refuse them my business (not enough employees, took WAYYY too long to get food), but they got that worked out, and I've since returned. Never had an issue with anybody there about carrying. Never had an issue in Clarksville, either, but I AM pretty well known around these parts.:D

We often have that issue too. We waited for over an hour to get our food once and ended up not paying once the manager got wind of it.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    We often have that issue too. We waited for over an hour to get our food once and ended up not paying once the manager got wind of it.

That was at the Steak 'n Shake in Richmond KY, dear. ;)

Edit: I have been corrected; it has happened multiple times. Don't mind the bruises....I fell down the stairs. :dunno:

Last edited:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Sort of true! If the DM or corporate was told that OP was asked to leave for doing something totally legal, they would go APE $%##!! The right to refuse service is more for people being general A-holes. Sounds to me like he was talking with the family when he was asked to leave. Nothing A-hole like or illegal about it. He also need to bring INGO into it. If the word of 20,000 less potential customers reaches higher ears, there will be follow ups to this.

I worked in retail for almost two years before i went of to school. The company had no rule against firearms in the store, OC or CC. According to my manager, who has been with the company for years, if a manager asked someone to leave the store for OC, that manager can get into a LOT of trouble.

I have a feeling S&S may be the same way

Wish the retail store I work at felt that way. According to their hiring policies, employees cannot carry even if shopping off the clock on their day off AND they are not allowed to keep a gun locked in their car during working hours. Of course, I ignore both. I don't OC though when I go to shop or get my check, but I always CC.

Top Bottom