• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So I've been carrying these mags pretty much everyday now and I've never had a problem with them at the range shooting all sorts of ammo through them. Then like the internet, I've seen some disturbing vids about how they might be garbage such as not feeding, but one vid that I can't seem to find on Facebook has a guy loading the mag and smacking the bottom a few times and the baseplate just falls off and everything comes out. He did this with an empty and a loaded mag. This got me concern. Has anyone ever heard of this problem with their ETS mags because I tried to simulate this horrible failure and got no problems

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    No problems with mine. I only have the 31 rounders though. Left it loaded for months and it still works fine.

Depends on how hard you are on your gear. There are people on the internet that specifically try to break stuff. If you beat the crap out of anything, especially something made of plastic, it will eventually break. Are the ETS mags as good as glock factory? Probably not. Are they good enough to reliably work if you aren't beating the crap out of them? I think so. But again, I have a small sample size.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I got several types. 1 for my G19, the full size G17 type and the 31 round type and they've all functioned fine and I've dropped them during reload drills onto hard floors with no problems. These things takes a beating and seeing how people would run them over with cars and purposefully drop them onto concrete and they still function is pretty impressive

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    We had 12 mags, all sizes in 9 that e tested out during a range class. We used them in every size 9mm glock and s few glock pattern AR's. After 2000 rounds that day we had issues with 5 of the 12 mags. While none came apart the conclusion was quick that these mags would become training mags with dummy rounds and would never be more than range toys. Ymmv

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Good to know. Thanks for the input. But does one need to really shoot that many rounds to actually test if their mags are reliable or not?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    In my case you're not seeing the bigger picture. We weren't there to test magazines that day, we were there for firearms training. It was by chance we had the mags there. So as a by product of the training class in essence it was a test of magazines. And as a by product of the issues with the mags we were leaves to be forced to practice malfunction drills, it was win win win for us. I don't know if there's a magic number for testing. Did we have to go through all the rounds to come to the conclusion the mags sucked, no.... We realized that after 700. But as in sure you can agree, but to few rounds through something and someone will say " that's not a test", user only one mag and they'll say " well there's always one lemon out there". I think 2000 rounds, a 12 magazine sample and a 9 gun variety leave nothing to chance or the critics

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    In my case you're not seeing the bigger picture. We weren't there to test magazines that day, we were there for firearms training. It was by chance we had the mags there. So as a by product of the training class in essence it was a test of magazines. And as a by product of the issues with the mags we were leaves to be forced to practice malfunction drills, it was win win win for us. I don't know if there's a magic number for testing. Did we have to go through all the rounds to come to the conclusion the mags sucked, no.... We realized that after 700. But as in sure you can agree, but to few rounds through something and someone will say " that's not a test", user only one mag and they'll say " well there's always one lemon out there". I think 2000 rounds, a 12 magazine sample and a 9 gun variety leave nothing to chance or the critics

I don't believe you. I have 50 rounds through mine and it has been fine.

In seriousness though, I had problems with the ETS mags as well, they did have a problem with the springs in the early ones and have replaced them. good for them, but just like with the Magpul mags, if I have a bunch of problems once, I tend not to trust that product again even if it has been "fixed".

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    This is kinda sad considering how novel the idea is that these 3rd parties are pushing forward. Cheaper priced than OEM, for one and with Magpul, expanding their legacy that they produce pretty good mags and can translate well into other mags than AR. ETS group does have the "tacticool" factor, but for the most part, seem to work. I supposed not all mags are 100% reliable even factory OEM mags, but one can say that mags that were designed alongside their guns would tend to work better than 3rd party that focuses on how to sell them...I'll keep on shooting my ETS mag I use for carry to see what problems it might give me. Thankfully, I do carry a spare, which is a factory OEM with an extension from Glock.

skyman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    So what kind of issues?I have used the 22,27,and 31 rounders with no problems.I am not to 700 rounds in them yet,but I am past 200.
    thanks.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Never had one splode as such, but I've had numerous problems with all iterations of ETS, and Magpul Glock mags. Enough so, I only by factory G's now. My problems were nose down rounds that bind up the whole machine. Never had that with factory G's, only problem with them, I was a little too enthusiastic on a mag change with a factory+2, and I sploded all the rest of the rounds everywheres. Hasn't happened since, and I run factory G's with factory +2's, and Arredondo +5's? ETS and Magpul both have been unsat for me out of a sample of 15-16ish each. YMMV.

rransford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2016
    Elwood
    I've not had any issues with mine. I've put the Falkor base plate on my 17 ETS mag, and have a 31 round mag and a couple for my 19. No issues at all with these. I've seen them get ran pretty hard, and they stay in tact.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've run a couple of ETS and Glock 15 rounders for awhile and put a few hundred rounds through them. No issues. I use them for practice, and carry with the OEM's. However, I don't have any more rounds through the OEM's than the practice mags, so who am I to say the OEM mags are more reliable?

I do know this, though. Those *$#!@* Glock OEM mag plates won't come off without a real fight. I guess that's comforting.

Note: I've got a couple 33 round Korean Glock knock-off mags and both run 100% reliably after a few hundred rounds. I'm really surprised by that.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Never had one splode as such, but I've had numerous problems with all iterations of ETS, and Magpul Glock mags. Enough so, I only by factory G's now. My problems were nose down rounds that bind up the whole machine. Never had that with factory G's, only problem with them, I was a little too enthusiastic on a mag change with a factory+2, and I sploded all the rest of the rounds everywheres. Hasn't happened since, and I run factory G's with factory +2's, and Arredondo +5's? ETS and Magpul both have been unsat for me out of a sample of 15-16ish each. YMMV.

I bought two new Magpul mags when DSG had the Zev plus 5 extensions on special. I am only using brass case in them (running them in competitions), and want to see if they do better. I have heard from a number of people who had the same problems you and I have with the magpuls and all say they were using steel case ammo in them.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I bought two new Magpul mags when DSG had the Zev plus 5 extensions on special. I am only using brass case in them (running them in competitions), and want to see if they do better. I have heard from a number of people who had the same problems you and I have with the magpuls and all say they were using steel case ammo in them.
    I'd be interested in hearing how they do. My problems were with brass case, I've never used steel case, and only shortly used Blazer aluminum.

DCowboysCR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Greenwood
    I haven't heard anything about the ETS mags having problems other than early mags with weak springs. I hope the upcoming extended Glock 42/43 mags work out.

Saminator67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2017
    Mooresville
    I recently bought anew ETS mags and a pmag for my glock 17. I'm disappointed to hear about issues with them, but I guess I'll run them as practice mags for now and see how it goes after 500 rounds or so.

Top Bottom