• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    Looks like at least one of our Senators is going to vote yes on it. Also there's a recent post from someone on his facebook page who says she got a response from him & he intends to vote for it.

Senator Evan Bayh — Senator for Indiana: News - Press Release

June 17, 2009

Bayh Measure to Keep Energy Dollars in Indiana Advances in Senate

Amendment would send payments directly to state to lower utility rates, support local renewable projects

Washington—Bipartisan energy legislation cleared the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee today, by a vote of 15-8, and included a key provision written by Senator Evan Bayh to send money directly to Indiana to lower the cost of Hoosier electric bills.
    Bayh, a member of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, last month voted to strike the committee’s Renewable Electricity Standard (RES), a mandate that electric utilities produce 15 percent of their power from renewable sources—such as wind, solar, biomass and geothermal energy—by 2021.
    “It’s important we pursue renewable energy alternatives and the creation of green jobs as part of Indiana’s economic future,” Bayh said. “I have supported many efforts to promote this, including tax credits for companies that produce renewable energy and create green jobs. The costs of this approach are borne equally by every American taxpayer.
    “The approach adopted by the committee—requiring every state to produce at least 15 percent of its electricity from renewables by 2021 or pay a fine—threatens utility ratepayers in states that rely on coal, such as Indiana. Fortunately, the committee adopted my proposal to keep the money in Indiana, rather than send it to Washington. This will allow the governor to return it to Hoosier ratepayers, keeping their electric rates from going up in the event the ambitious goals of this legislation prove to be unattainable.”
    Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels lauded Bayh for his role in improving the energy bill, which now advances to the full Senate for consideration.
    “Senator Bayh’s amendment is a big improvement and I commend him for it,” Daniels stated. “The parent bill’s fines and penalties would still be highly unfair to Hoosiers, but thanks to the senator, at least our citizens’ money won’t be sent to Washington to fund federal spending in other states.”
    Utility companies unable to meet the renewable energy mandate may pay an “alternative compliance payment” to meet the requirements of the mandate. Under the original bill, utility companies were directed to send their penalty payments to the Department of Energy in Washington, D.C. Bayh’s amendment instead directs the money to an Indiana renewable energy fund managed by the governor to reduce electric bills and support green energy projects.
    “Important decisions about utility rates and energy projects should be made by Hoosiers, not bureaucrats in Washington,” Bayh said.
    The Energy Committee today passed several other important Bayh provisions in the bipartisan American Clean Energy Leadership Act of 2009 (ACELA). Bayh provisions will:
    • Incentivize the electrification of the American transportation sector to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and spur the creation of new auto-related jobs in Indiana for advanced electric drive vehicles;
    • Help Hoosier manufacturers maintain their competitive advantage in the global marketplace by providing incentives to help companies boost their productivity while using less energy;
    • Require the federal government to develop a comprehensive oil savings plan to reduce our nation’s economic vulnerability and strategic dependence on oil-rich nations run by governments hostile to American interests;
    • Commission a report on how to protect energy-intensive and trade-exposed manufacturers so American jobs are not shipped overseas as a result of global warming legislation; and,
    • Commission a report to learn what China and India are doing—and not doing—to address their role in the global warming crisis, given that they are some of the largest greenhouse gas emitters in the world.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Anyone know what Lugar's take on Cap & Trade is? I called his office and asked him to VOTE NO but have no clue what his position is on the legislation. Being a liberal RINO I have my doubts about him opposing C&T.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    More and more, I don't think there's an honest politician in the bunch. I think any one of them would stab their constituents in the back for a dollar.

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wrote this to him,

Cap and Trade or Cap and Tax. What the heck has happened? I thought democrats were for the poor? I understand you plan on voting for this abomination of a bill where the "particulars" are decided on later by the administration.

Who will be hit first and the hardest by all of the hidden taxes and costs this bill will create? Those who live on the edge, the poor.

Are you voting for this because you are afraid of the administration of or of the party? It can't be because it is a good idea or a well crafted bill. This is just another tax!

Where is the Senates concern for the power grab by this administration?

I cannot abide by you or any politician raising my taxes, even under the guise of "saving me money on my electric bill", which is absurd since all energy costs will rise with this crap bill. My house payment is going up $330 a month this year due to increased local taxes, when will it stop? I am not poor but I only live in a 1400 sq/ft house and I can't afford any more of yours, or any politicians tax shenanigans.

Where is the outrage?

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    just sent this on
    Mr. Bayh,

First I would like to thank you for your service to this state, however if you vote in favor of any form of a Carbon tax/ Cap and trade bill I will be forced to do everything I can to remove you from office.

I am far from wealthy, and usually you have done great things to people of my financial standings. However this bill will destroy what is left of the manufacturing industry in this state, and it will furthermore cause the cost of energy and goods to rise. So if you vote for this you will be taking away my job, and then jacking up the rates for the heat in my home and the items I need to live.

It is moral and good to protect our environment, however I can't eat good intentions, nor can I heat my home with honor. So unless your intention is for me to start burning wood and eating rabbits, then there is no logic behind supporting this bill.

Sir, I am a native Hoosier, and that means that I work hard, take care of my family and neighbors, and that I do and mean what I say. And I can assure you that if you vote in favor of any form of a Carbon Tax that I will do whatever is in my power to make you a private citizen once more. I will not allow someone to represent this state that is willing to destroy the economy of this state, to take food off of my table, and to tax me to death. I have been fairly proud of your service thus far, but make no mistake; if you cross this line I will spend every spare dime and moment to end your career.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    not really along the subject but i i felt the need to contact.

Why are you letting this great nation fall? why are you letting our freedoms and rights be stripped from us every day? Why do ALL politicians stab their people in the back and lie just to get a vote? Don't you care about our people and our country? Its come time now the only people that believe politicians are morons and have to be spoon fed everything, isn't what the government wants? Isn't that what you want? I would honestly like a response.

I am concerned about our government and what they are doing and thinking. What the government thinks is good for us is in fact oppressing the people, and the ones that don't think it is are delusional.

I cant afford GAS to find a JOB to make MONEY to support my family, and if I find a JOB the government will TAX my check and take so much money that I can barely afford FOOD and leave me with just enough to get GAS MONEY to get to the store to buy FOOD. Cant obama just print more out for the people after all he printed out a trillion dollars from nowhere.

The reason why these TEA PARTIES are happening is because WE THE PEOPLE have had enough. We are trying to make the government see what they/you are doing to the people is wrong. Haven't you read the constitution? Better yet the Declaration of Independence (you know the reason why we celebrate the 4th of July, or have you forgotten)? Both of those documents show that our government is doing the people wrong. Adding amendments and then adding more to counter act previous amendments. Doing and supporting moves like these help the fall this country. I'm not trying to slander, disrespect, or anger you, but I hope I do strike a nerve on letting you know how WE THE PEOPLE feel. Here is my last question. Why and how did this country start? I'll give you a hint its what our government is doing to us now.

If my spelling and grammar don't make much sense blame it on the poor education system.

Please answer all of my questions and DONT'T LIE TO ME

Last edited:

porkpie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I guess it's time to call again and ask what happened. Just last week when I called Bayh's office,I was told he was opposed to it and would not vote for it if it in any way hurt Indiana's economy or raised taxes on us. Lugars phone monkey said she didn't know how the Senator intended on voting. Whatever.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Did you guys know that Indiana stands to lose the most jobs & money from this bill, second only to the State of Texas? Our steel industry will be wiped out from Cap & Tax. This bill will be the nail in the American economy's coffin.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Indiana Senators

Do not depend on either of our senators to know what is in the cap and trade or the health care bills. They, themselves, do not read those large documents. They have staffs, including idealistic college kids, to read them for them and then just give them the Cliff's Notes summaries. I read an article recently, but can not find it to accurately quote my source, but does anyone ever wonder how Evan Bayh became worth over 600 million dollars in just a few short years as a senator (if the article was true)????

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If cap & trade passes, no one will be able to buy or sell homes without environmental impact audits. private residences will be subject to retroactive environmental standards audits with manditory compliance to the new standards. this will require tens of thousands of dollars of "upgrades" for the average homeowner to the new windows, insulation, roofing, lighting, and HVAC benchmarks. the government will "loan" you the money to make the upgrades or fine you.

Essentially, they just seized everyone's home. you do not have ownership if you do not control your property. the federal government now controls all property (assuming this passes and is signed by obama). commercial and residential.

the politically favored get credits to pay for their upgrades.

i just wanted to give a little more color about what this is about.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Essentially, they just seized everyone's home. you do not have ownership if you do not control your property. the federal government now controls all property (assuming this passes and is signed by obama). commercial and residential.

As long as you are paying property taxes then you are just renting the land from the government. When you own something it is all yours and you are the only one who is responsible for it. I own my guns, I own my clothes, I own my cars and my truck, I own my tools, but I do not own my own time or any land because I must pay someone else for the privilage to work or have a home.

mattfoley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Wayne Co.
    I wrote our Senators about cap and trade. Here is what I wrote:

Senators Lugar and Bayh,

I urge you to vote against any and all Cap and Trade legislation in the Senate.

Indiana is heavily powered by coal and as a result would be heavily impacted by cap and trade. Being from a county that has a coal plant and having relatives that work at that plant, I would see and feel the effects of cap and trade through massively higher rates and through family members that may lose their jobs as a result. The rest of Indiana is heavily reliant on coal power as well and massive rate increases would affect the entire state. This would destroy what is left of the manufacturing base in the state and would effect an exodus of companies going to other states or more likely overseas.

If you are serious about reducing emissions from fossil fuel sources, consider an expansion in nuclear power as an alternative to this bill.

In addition, the House version of the bill contains all sorts of language that would create all sorts of bureaucracy with respect to home sales that would further hurt the housing sector.

Your vote against this measure is important to me as it directly affects my family's bottom line. If you choose to vote for this bill or any other form of cap and trade legislation, ***I will actively campaign for your opponent in my community in 2012***, as I will for any of my representatives, Republican or Democrat, who votes for this legislation.

Respectfully,

mattfoley

Lugar has yet to get back to me. Here is Bayh's response:

Dear mattfoley:
    Thank you for contacting me regarding the impacts of global climate change. I appreciate your thoughts and concerns on this issue.

I am deeply concerned about the threat posed by global climate change. The scientific consensus on this issue is unequivocal. Global warming is real and greenhouse gas emissions from human activity are causing it. Scientists and others warn that climate change threatens our nation's security, and may imperil future generations' opportunity for safe, healthy, and prosperous lives.

However, any carbon-constraining mechanism must protect Hoosier ratepayers, workers and businesses from increased costs. Additionally, other nations of the world must be included in this effort, because if they are not, our action will be for naught.

Please rest assured, should legislation regarding global climate change be introduced in the 111th Congress, I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I hope the information I have provided is helpful. My website, Senator Evan Bayh — Senator for Indiana: Home, can provide additional details about legislation and state projects, and you can also sign up to receive my monthly e-newsletter, The Bayh Bulletin, by clicking on the link at the top of my homepage. I value your input and hope you will continue to keep me informed of the issues important to you.

Office of Senator Evan Bayh
    (202) 224-5623
    Russell 131
    Washington, D.C. 20510

Last edited:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    As long as you are paying property taxes then you are just renting the land from the government. When you own something it is all yours and you are the only one who is responsible for it. I own my guns, I own my clothes, I own my cars and my truck, I own my tools, but I do not own my own time or any land because I must pay someone else for the privilage to work or have a home.

Brilliant. Seriously, I want to quote that in a sig line. :yesway::yesway::yesway: +1

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    OK, I couldn't resist another email.

A quote from your response "The scientific consensus on this issue is unequivocal."

Consensus is a political term, not a scientific term. The "consensus" is political, not scientific. Everyone is not blind to what is going on here. I can hope you are only sincerely ignorant.

Have you not read the latest EPA report? Are you truly in the grasp of the mob hysteria? Read some history and you will see this cropping up from time to time. Do you really want to be remembered as a political tool instead of a rational thinking man?

I have worked in computers longer than we have had PC's, much longer. One term that is common is, "garbage in, garbage out." I could model a program to come to any conclusion I wanted. I just did not know that it would be so easy to convince everyone the conclusion would be true. Sort of like a cult. Sort of like Ron Hubbard's invented religion. Maybe I will create one that will convince you to lower my taxes.

Top Bottom