Even Hickok45 has played with the Shield!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I'm still bent on whether it is worth $200 more than the Kel Tec PF9 (I already own one), which is much thinner, and lighter. It sure is a perty gun though. I'm spending my $400 on a M&P9C for now.

Hickok is one of my favorite reviewers. I trust his opinions.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm watching this right now and so far so good! I have a few other items on the wish list before one of these but I really would like to try one out sometime soon.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I too am after a summertime carry gun that is a little bit smaller than my XDm. I have always liked the grip feel of the M&P line so I was estatic to find out that the Shield was coming out. UNTIL I realized that the Shield is actually TALLER than the M&P 9mm subcompact. Is it really any better to choose the Shield over the M&P 9mm subcompact?

For my needs, the 9mm subcompact will work fine so I like the idea of better holster options, the bugs have been worked out, higher mag capacity, etc. If you examine the specs for each model, they are very close to each other.

I am not trying to knock down the Shield. BUT, if I had to choose between the M&P subcompact vs. one of the hottest items on the market right now, WHY would I choose the Shield?

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I too am after a summertime carry gun that is a little bit smaller than my XDm. I have always liked the grip feel of the M&P line so I was estatic to find out that the Shield was coming out. UNTIL I realized that the Shield is actually TALLER than the M&P 9mm subcompact. Is it really any better to choose the Shield over the M&P 9mm subcompact?

For my needs, the 9mm subcompact will work fine so I like the idea of better holster options, the bugs have been worked out, higher mag capacity, etc. If you examine the specs for each model, they are very close to each other.

I am not trying to knock down the Shield. BUT, if I had to choose between the M&P subcompact vs. one of the hottest items on the market right now, WHY would I choose the Shield?

Thinner grip. Straight off their site: SHIELD .40 - 95” , M&P40c - 1.2".

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If anyone around Bedford area wants to shoot mine, you are more than welcome.

I chose the Shield instead of :

G26 because it's thinner, more hand on grip
    M&P9c because it's thinner and the trigger is better
    LC9 because it's better built and striker fired
    PF9 because it's a Kel-tec (been there, won't ever do that again)

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'm not ready to buy a smaller pistol yet really but I keep my eyes on them. And I also trust Hickok45's opinions, saw this and figured I would post for all to enjoy. I think S&W makes fine weapons, but I have no idea what I want in a smaller cc weapon. I like the S&W J frames, and Glock G26's, and maybe these. Who knows but it looks like a fine piece. :yesway:

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I was actually thinking about picking up a J frame until this came out.

Serves just fine in my front right pocket.

Good deal, I generally wear jeans so I doubt it would be a pocket gun for me. But I don't mind wearing my cc IWB so I dunno. I like both styles of handguns so I am pretty open minded. Good time to be picking up a CC gun! :D

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    I'm still bent on whether it is worth $200 more than the Kel Tec PF9 (I already own one), which is much thinner, and lighter. It sure is a perty gun though. I'm spending my $400 on a M&P9C for now.

Hickok is one of my favorite reviewers. I trust his opinions.
    It is worth it. And you can have it for the $400 you are going to put on the mp9c. I have both and like the shield better. but thats just my :twocents:

I think we need to have a "Test Drive a Shield Day" at a local range :)
    Maybe like a 'Gun Pitch In' we all bring something that someone else wants to shoot:ar15:

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    If anyone around Bedford area wants to shoot mine, you are more than welcome.

I chose the Shield instead of :

G26 because it's thinner, more hand on grip
    M&P9c because it's thinner and the trigger is better
    LC9 because it's better built and striker fired
    PF9 because it's a Kel-tec (been there, won't ever do that again)

Thanks for the comparison. Again, I wasn't trying to be negative but also couldn't figure out just why the Shield is so popular right now. I think I will have to hold the two M&P's side-by-side at some point in the future and pick the one that fits my needs better.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Why is this a better option than the Khar CM9. Haven't tried the shield yet.
    One big advantage would be the trigger. Kahrs aren't bad, but the reset is way long, not so good if you're used to safe-action type guns. This is one reason I really like my PPS.

Top Bottom