• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Last night, I was “tasked” with taking my 13-year-old daughter and 14-year-old niece to a concert. It was in a small city not far from my house. The area is known for crime and drugs.

It was a “boy band” that we were going to see. I would say the demographics of the crowd were 80% females between 14-16 years old. The majority of the girls were white and from the surrounding areas, not the city.

It seemed like a never-ending stream of mini-vans dropping off girls in groups of 2-5. The parents would just wave and drive off. From the dimly lit side entrance of the venue, you could expect at least a 20-minute wait in freezing temperatures before getting in the door. It was a huge group of kids obviously out of their element texting with their heads down as the indigenous people walked by. Right across the street was a huge, dimly lit parking garage.

Funny that in a state with very liberal concealed carry laws where people usually cite the reason for carrying a firearm is to protect their families; they had no problem dropping their kids off in an unknown area in unknown conditions. Even though there was a lounge for parents to relax during the concert, I would have to estimate that fewer than 5% attended with their kids.

Once in the “bull pen” waiting for doors to open, there were no employees visible. Eventually, a security guard dressed in a black “staff” t-shirt came out and opened the doors. Later, I would see that all staff wore black. There was nobody for the kids to go to if they had an emergency. Unlike any venue I have ever been to before, (I am a huge Dropkick Murphys fan, and attend concerts at these smaller venues often), there was absolutely no security screening. From what I could see, there was also no sign listing prohibited items. They just scanned your ticket and you walked in. Those over 21 had their hand stamped allowing them to drink.

Once inside, the girls were able to move within about 7 yards of the stage. As the room was filling, I took the time to locate the exit that would be best for us in case of fire or other emergency. Personally I feel that fire is the biggest danger in these types of places. The exit I chose and identified to the girls was just off the side of the stage. In an emergency most people are going back towards the way they came in, this would allow us to use the side door. I positioned myself next to a security guard so I could watch the crowd and the girls. If I needed to I could signal them with my small Streamlight flashlight. This would be helpful since from what I could see no security personnel had flashlights.

Now to the security staffing, it was way below what I would have used. To be fair, I can only comment on the bottom level of the three-story venue. During the course of the night, I saw four men wearing black shirts marked with “event” or “staff”. Two guys handled the front, near the band. This should have been a six-man detail. Since the other side of the stage was flush with the wall, there should have been three staff between the barriers and the stage. The two-man team next to me should have been a three-man team. It did not take long to show why. The two guys next to me seemed to have two jobs, dealing with the crowd, and controlling access back stage. About two hours into the show with an opening band playing the first medical emergency took place when a girl passed out. Both security guards immediately moved forward into the crowd and moved her out the back. This left the front of the stage and backstage access wide open. If the third man had been assigned, this would not have been an issue.

Over the course of the night, I saw at least two girls faint. They both appeared to be about 14 and had no adults with them. I had to wonder if the girls had any identification with them, or anything identifying any medical issue. Having a 10-year-old son who is epileptic makes this hit home. Girls would go move about the crowd to get drinks, talk to people etc. Can you imagine if your daughter came back to where she was and could not find her friend that had fainted and been taken out?
    How do you think she would react?

After the concert, it seemed that few parents had told their kids exactly where and when to meet them. Again, all these mini-vans parked in the street also present tasty targets for criminals.

Typically events at larger venues are better run that said as a music lover I don’t want anyone to stop attending small venues, which often provide a great experience with the bands. But here are some ideas I have about venue security/control.
    · All security staff should be wearing brightly colored shirts that say “Security”.
    · All security staff should be wearing search gloves and have a flashlight.
    · Staff should be able to communicate with standardized hand signals.
    · Access to areas should be controlled with color-coded badges.
    · All security staff should be CPR and basic first aid trained.
    · When possible, security should be elevated at least a foot above the crowd for visibility, and to allow them to spot problems.
    · Staff should be in eye contact with other staff. Easier when you are elevated.
    · Every venue should have a conspicuously located list of prohibited items before you enter the building and inside.
    · At least a cursory security screening should always take place.

Here are some ideas on your kids attending these type of events-
    · Kids under 16 should not attend non-school related crowd events without an adult.
    · Explain to your kids that they are responsible for their safety.
    · Explain likely threats including fire, accidents, and crime.
    · Kids should always carry a light of some kind, especially in these circumstances. Teach them basic strikes with the light.
    · A glow stick is an excellent tool for identifying your kid in a crowd.
    · Teach your kids to always have a buddy with them and stay with the buddy, no matter what. Make sure their buddy is likeminded.
    · Kids should always carry at least their school ID. They should also have tag identifying medical issues and reliable contact information for next of kin. If your kids have issues make sure their friends and friends’ parents are aware of them.
    · Pick a detailed object to meet kids at after the event or in case of an emergency. A doorway in not detailed, pick a stop sign, particular fire hydrant etc.
    · Most importantly explain to your kids that even when you are having a good time bad things can happen and they need to pay attention.

As a parent, I know it is hard to let kids go. However by talking with them, giving them some education, you can gain peace of mind as they venture beyond your grip. Hold onto them as long as you can.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As always, George, I appreciate your detailed diagnosis of the situation. You made some very practical points.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    some excellent suggestions there! i agree it is crazy the way many parents act these days regarding the safety of their children in public.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    I understand your concerns here, however I am going to have to disagree with you pretty much across the board on this one.

I have been going to Punk, HardCore, and Metal shows since I was 13. I have seen kids get really messed up including myself at some of these shows. Yea I got hurt, and yea I was in allot of not so nice areas of town. At one venue in particular we would go down hours before and panhandle to pay for our tickets, merch, and gas. My parents trusted me to look out for myself, but they did hand me a cell phone when I was going out of town for the evening. I even ran several of my own shows, and was AD of security for a small music festival.

Security at a show is a blessing and a curse. Most of those guys really don't care about the kids, the music, or the scene. Often they are looking to make an example and prove a point. I have seen more teenagers hurt by security pushing, pulling, or hitting than I have seen kids hurt in the pit. Securities job is to protect the venues property, protect sensitive areas, protect the band and their gear, and then watch out for the crowd.

The biggest concern is for safety coming and going from a show, not inside the venue.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Unsupervised teenagers are a disaster waiting to happen. Trust me, I know. Great suggestions on how to improve the situation.

The worst part is that if something happened, and you had to take control of the situation, some of those neglecting parents would be the first to give you hell for telling their baby what to do, or for touching them, or looking at them, or whatever they'd use to create a distraction from their own lack of judgement. Been there and done that too many times to count.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I was on-duty with the Cincinnati Police Department the night of the infamous WHO Concert. The concert venue was on my beat, and I was there for the aftermath.

I am astonished that there are people on this board who would even consider allowing their minor children to attend such events. Mine knew better than to even ask.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    While I don't ever plan on going to events like this (not much of a concert type) I think it is great for you to point these things out to those people that do plan to go or allow children to go.

zlittell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    man when i attend shows some of the kids there cant be more than 13. I dont think my parents ever would have let me goto a hardcore or deathcore show when i was 13. Espiecally when there is sometimes "gang" related activities between rival "gangs". Not to mention a sector of the hells angels like to hang out in the bar up stairs. not saying that bikers are bad they actually tend to look down upon those bad apples but there are still the bad apples.

Top Bottom