• Have you ever been denied a firearm?

• Total voters

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    there are websites.... or progams you can purfchase... office might even have one... then you get it notorized... thats the way to avoid a lawyer fee anyways

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    First of all, thank you Savage for detailing your process.

Today is Sunday, I was "delayed" my purchase a couple of Saturdays ago, then all the way declined this past Thursday. I have sent in to get my reason for denial and officially appeal the denial (by email - it is the future, after all), but have yet to receive any word on the matter from the feds.

I have a misdemeanor on my record that was originally a felony. After I completed probation and paid a bunch of money it was reduced...you know the story.

My "weekends" are weekdays for everyone else (Tue, Wed, Thr), so on Tuesday I'm going to start trying to get my hands on my records and have them ready to mail to the feds. I'll also check on getting my fingerprints done so that I'll have them to send in at the same time.

I feel like my process will be hastened a little - at least on my end - because of the info I have read from your posts in this thread. I also have hope that everything will be cleared up in a timely manner and I should have my weapons by the end of this decade :laugh:

If I encounter anything extra or different in structure or process (not just content) I'll put a post about it in here and try to provide some help to others like you have.

Best wishes, and thanks again.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    If i don't make it i seriously have a lot to get rid of.How do i write a legal will?

For a will to be valid in the State of Indiana, it must be mutually witnessed by two people in sight of one another and the decedent. It does NOT need to be notarized.

E.g.; Yourself and two friends, who must all sign in front of one another - they don't need to know what's in the will, but they must know that it IS your will. Also, apologies about the thread resurrection.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    First of all, thank you Savage for detailing your process.

Today is Sunday, I was "delayed" my purchase a couple of Saturdays ago, then all the way declined this past Thursday. I have sent in to get my reason for denial and officially appeal the denial (by email - it is the future, after all), but have yet to receive any word on the matter from the feds.

I have a misdemeanor on my record that was originally a felony. After I completed probation and paid a bunch of money it was reduced...you know the story.

My "weekends" are weekdays for everyone else (Tue, Wed, Thr), so on Tuesday I'm going to start trying to get my hands on my records and have them ready to mail to the feds. I'll also check on getting my fingerprints done so that I'll have them to send in at the same time.

I feel like my process will be hastened a little - at least on my end - because of the info I have read from your posts in this thread. I also have hope that everything will be cleared up in a timely manner and I should have my weapons by the end of this decade :laugh:

If I encounter anything extra or different in structure or process (not just content) I'll put a post about it in here and try to provide some help to others like you have.

Best wishes, and thanks again.

Definitely let us know how it goes getting anything electronically. As far as I knew, everything had to be done by snail mail. Every communication I sent HAD to be in writing or printed and they came back the same way. No reason for denial can be given over the phone or internet. They told me my request for reason of denial had to come in print and they would send it back the same way.

So, it'll be interesting to hear your story too. Good Luck and God Bless!:patriot:

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Definitely let us know how it goes getting anything electronically. As far as I knew, everything had to be done by snail mail. Every communication I sent HAD to be in writing or printed and they came back the same way. No reason for denial can be given over the phone or internet. They told me my request for reason of denial had to come in print and they would send it back the same way.

So, it'll be interesting to hear your story too. Good Luck and God Bless!:patriot:

As far as I understand it, only that initial communication can be email. I sent them an email that said, basically, "My name is, my NTN is, I request reason, I appeal".

Here is the actual response (copy & pasted) they replied with via email:

"This is in response to your email received by the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Section on February 11, 2010. An appeal will be initiated on your behalf with the NICS Section Appeal Services Team (AST).

The NICS AST will send a written response to your request within five full business days. The Brady Act defines a business day as any day in which the state offices in your state of residence are open. This response may request that you provide additional information and/or proof of identity such as a set of rolled fingerprint impressions prepared by a law enforcement agency to support your appeal.

NICS Section
    CJIS Division"

The quotes and italics are mine. I dont see anything in that response that requires anything more on my part so far...although, it says that in the response they are sending me, it may (and probably will) require further information to be provided by me.

I talked to a guy on the phone at NICS and he said that only this initial contact can be done through email...although, I wouldnt completely rule out electronic updates of my process...who knows.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    All I can say I is I hope to God you have your original paperwork. If you don't, get to the court house ASAP and get the records to see what they have. If they have the right records, request that they update those records to the FBI ASAP and get a copy even if you do have your records.

Oh, and expect a visit or phone call from an ATF agent. He'll want to see your paperwork as well.

Top Bottom