Ever been pulled over with guns in the vehicle? How many guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is the highest number of firearms you have been pulled over with?

• Total voters

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I bet that many of us have been pulled over at one time or another when we had a firearm in the car.

Has anyone ever been pulled over with a whole bunch of firearms in the car? How did that go? Was it weird, funny or a non event?

Come on, spill it.

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    pulled over for license plate light out while returning from Dholder's home, had eight in jeep and state officer just said looks like you were having a good time. non-issue

destroyer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    I got pulled over with 1 full auto ak-47 I was riding my zx6-R home and I had the ak in my backpack (half of the ak was visible. I spent a night in jail :(

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Got pulled over in a vehicle with several weapons in the vehicle, by a trooper. He flipped his $#!+ until the owner of the vehicle and weapons handed him a badge and department identification (he collected himself, put his smokey-the-bear hat back on and told us to be safe).

Was once compared to Clyde Barrow (not sure how he was able to make the comparison since I had a hunting shotgun and was dressed for the occasion... it was a few days before hunting season so I wanted to get back into the swing of things).

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    "No...Nothing illegal, sir."

(BTW, I voted 2-10)

This! :yesway:

No need to even tell that you carry firearms, doest matter if you carry 1 or have 20 rifles and shotguns in your car as long as it's legal.

Police officer: "Any weapons in the car?"
    You: "No sir, no illegal weapons"
    Pollice officer: "Sir, do you carry any type of firearm, legal or illegal?"
    You: "Im I being detained?" You get the idea ... :D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    This! :yesway:

No need to even tell that you carry firearms, doest matter if you carry 1 or have 20 rifles and shotguns in your car as long as it's legal.

Police officer: "Any weapons in the car?"
    You: "No sir, no illegal weapons"
    Pollice officer: "Sir, do you carry any type of firearm, legal or illegal?"
    You: "Im I being detained?" You get the idea ... :D

Anytime I've ever been pulled over, they've always asked "do you have any guns, knives, drugs or anything illegal in the car?" I've just answered, "No. nothing illegal, sir" and that has always sufficed.

If an officer did ask me specifically if I'm carrying any firearms, I'd probably answer, "yes" as I'm handing him my LTCH, but I've never had to cross that bridge. I don't really speed or break that many traffic laws, so I hardly ever get pulled over(I think 5 times total, and 2 of them were fishing trips).

Edit: I've been pulled over 6 times.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    2-10, always a non issue. I've (because the firearm was visible to the officer) volunteered information (puts on flame retardant suit) before and had no issues but I've also not mentioned anything because I didn't think that i did anything wrong and that the guy was on a fishing expedition (and I was right).

LEO: Walks up.... "License and registration please"
    Me: retrieve information requested and handed it to him silently.
    LEO: Where you headed:
    Me: To work.
    LEO: Been Drinking tonight?
    Me: No, I'm headed in to work. ( I had a overnight maintenance and it was about 03:00)
    LEO: Any drugs or weapons in the vehicle?
    Me: I don't have anything illegal.
    LEO: What's that mean?
    Me: I have a couple of rifles and a few pistols in the vehicle from my trip down to Atterbury yesterday. Need to see my LTCH?
    LEO: That's ok, be safe getting to work. (Hands back information)
    Me: Thanks, you too.

I think I had 3 rifles, 2 shotguns and about 5 pistols in the vehicle.

Forgot to add, this was an IMPD officer.

Last edited:

Cool Hand Luke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Me and my buddy got pulled over in my truck in Mooresville. I had a .40, front passenger had a .40, backseat passenger had a .45, and I had my 12 gauge in the back seat. All 3 of us have LTCHs.

The cop immediately called for backup. They werent rude or anything but ran the numbers on all of the guns and all of our LTCHs (This was just for a minor traffic violation). When the cop told us we were good to go he said "Im sure glad you boys are friendly..."

Cool Hand Luke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    2-10, always a non issue. I've (because the firearm was visible to the officer) volunteered information (puts on flame retardant suit) before and had no issues but I've also not mentioned anything because I didn't think that i did anything wrong and that the guy was on a fishing expedition (and I was right).

LEO: Walks up.... "License and registration please"
    Me: retrieve information requested and handed it to him silently.
    LEO: Where you headed:
    Me: To work.
    LEO: Been Drinking tonight?
    Me: No, I'm headed in to work. ( I had a overnight maintenance and it was about 03:00)
    LEO: Any drugs or weapons in the vehicle?
    Me: I don't have anything illegal.
    LEO: What's that mean?
    Me: I have a couple of rifles and a few pistols in the vehicle from my trip down to Atterbury yesterday. Need to see my LTCH?
    LEO: That's ok, be safe getting to work. (Hands back information)
    Me: Thanks, you too.

I think I had 3 rifles, 2 shotguns and about 5 pistols in the vehicle.

Forgot to add, this was an IMPD officer.

I would have said "No, have you?"

After all, it was IMPD.

They have no right to go on their little fishing trips. Not their business where you are going or coming from. Besides, why do they even ask? Has anybody ever once said "Well I just stole a bunch of stuff from that Walmart back there, and Im about to hold up a fast food joint."

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

After all, it was IMPD.

They have no right to go on their little fishing trips. Not their business where you are going or coming from. Besides, why do they even ask? Has anybody ever once said "Well I just stole a bunch of stuff from that Walmart back there, and Im about to hold up a fast food joint."

I agree.
    If im asked "where are you coming from?" I just say "from there" while showing the road behind me, "where are you going?" "im going there" while showing the road ahead of me. :):
    "I dont plan long trips Sir, I will just try to make it to the end of that road if im ever free to go".

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le

After all, it was IMPD.

I'm no fan of anyone drinking and driving, especially those who are LEO and do it but this is poor form IMO. Some folks like to make jokes but I know people who have killed and been killed by drunk drivers. It's no laughing matter IMO.

I agree that fishing trips are shady but I've got a family member who once pulled over someone for changing lanes without signaling at 04:00 in a seedy neighborhood..... Guy told him as he handed his license over that he had several warrants and an illegal handgun under his seat. Said he just wanted to make sure there was no mis communication and he knew as soon as his information was ran that he was going to be arrested anyway so might as well do it now and "avoid a potential ass whoopin" (his words) if any misunderstandings should occur.

:dunno:

Police catch people with outstanding warrants on fishing expeditions all the time. Does it get results? Yes. Do I support the practice? No. The cost to individual liberty is too high.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Don't get pulled over very often. I voted 2-10. Never had any big issue. Had one officer get a little nervous once, but all went well. Never been pulled over on my way to or from the range with a truck full of firearms though.

Cool Hand Luke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Police catch people with outstanding warrants on fishing expeditions all the time. Does it get results? Yes. Do I support the practice? No. The cost to individual liberty is too high.

And if police were allowed to just randomly walk into peoples houses (wait we're in Indiana, they are} and search them Im sure that would get results too. But it wouldnt make it any more OK to do it.

Top Bottom