Ever built a gun safe? Have any ideas/suggestions??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    So as to not hyjack another ongoing thread about gun cabinets/safe boxes, I thought I'd start another thread about building a "gun safe". Granted, a person would need the steel, equiptment and welding abilities necessary but, I imagine there are a few of us on here.

My interest/thing is that I live in a unique (round, if you will) house. (see it at www.amstudio.us - HGTV link) And having curved walls means either conforming things to fit or wasting space. So really, the back of the safe would be the only difference between mine and someone else's. The main part and front/door would/could be the same. And as another fellow ingo'er mentioned, it could be a fun projest.

So my question(s) is: Have any of you built your own steel safe? Is there things you would recommend doing? Or things you did you would suggest not to?? How about the hardware? (Moore's Industrial Hardware is where I will probably be looking) Locks, etc? Single wall? Double wall? 1/4" plate?

I do not own a safe so I'm not even sure if there is a preferred inside design that works best? I would probably build it to fit the stuff I have but, then again more is better and... "whoever dies with the most toys.............. (still dies:D)".

I was thinking 3 walls for long guns to stand up against and pistols, etc. on the door to take up the middle space. A space for ammo but, just enough to have a small amount for each gun. Large quantities could be stored elsewhere.

So whataya think?? I'm open.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    I think its probably gonna cost you a lot of money in steel, and if you mess up once its gonna cost you more money. I think since you can't buy in quanities, for you dial, or key lock whichever you prefer. The same goes with the steel. Without buying in mass quantities, I don't think it would be cost effective.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Not to derail your topic on rolling your own, but if I were you, I'd contact Johnson Safe and ask what they can cook up for you.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Thanx for the insight guys but, I own a weld and fab shop. The steel I can get for wholesale (as per usual) but, the hardware is the interesting part. I have catalogs to search thru but I was wondering if anyone had ever done it and what they did.
    Also, I really would like it to fit into a rather interesting space. My house isn't all that big and as mentioned, "unique". I would however, be interested in, shall we say, a "front" as that is where the expense and interesting part is.
    Plus, I know it's not everyones cup o' tea but, I have this disease where I HAVE to "create". :): (actually, it's a blessing and a curse:)) But, it sure is nice to "yeah, I made it". It's worth a lot.
    I may check this Johnson Safe and see about a "front". That may save some headache and then design it around that. But, I want it tall. I guess they can do that.
    Oh, what else I had been thinking about is maybe some sort of hidden, unique, FAST way to open it. Say, maybe a magnet placed in a certain place or something. Just a thought. :rolleyes:
    Thanx again.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    Thanx for the insight guys but, I own a weld and fab shop. The steel I can get for wholesale (as per usual) but, the hardware is the interesting part. I have catalogs to search thru but I was wondering if anyone had ever done it and what they did.
    Also, I really would like it to fit into a rather interesting space. My house isn't all that big and as mentioned, "unique". I would however, be interested in, shall we say, a "front" as that is where the expense and interesting part is.
    Plus, I know it's not everyones cup o' tea but, I have this disease where I HAVE to "create". :): (actually, it's a blessing and a curse:)) But, it sure is nice to "yeah, I made it". It's worth a lot.
    I may check this Johnson Safe and see about a "front". That may save some headache and then design it around that. But, I want it tall. I guess they can do that.
    Oh, what else I had been thinking about is maybe some sort of hidden, unique, FAST way to open it. Say, maybe a magnet placed in a certain place or something. Just a thought. :rolleyes:
    Thanx again.

Well If I had a brake and shear and was capable of bending 7ga walls and and fabbed me up a 4ga door. Yup, I would definetly build myself. I would take a look at some doors and get the proper depth for my locking bolts. I have a buddy that also worked in a fab shop. He used 2 different key locks in each safe. They were perfectly timed, you had to have both keys and turn at the same time. Both keys had to be installed. So someone couldn't pick 1 lock than another. Then lift the handle and open the safe. His were not fire protected. If you make it Fire lined, get the ceramic insulation.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    www.schwabsafe.com

Check with this link, and try Schwab. I worked at Schwab when they were in Lafayette, and had the opprtunity to "build my own" safe from scratch.

My scenario was a little different than one might imagine, but the end results were that I ended up with a free safe!

Mis-cut parts reulted in a cabinet that was slightly larger than normal and needed to have a door custom-fit to that opening.

I was given the opprtunity to fashion a door for this "out-of-spec" box on my time, which ate up a few lunch and coffee breaks.

The lock on mine is a Sargents-Greenleaf combination lock, and I belive you can purchase these directly from Schwab. If not there, try Haley's Lock, safe, and Key in Lafayette.

The biggest challenge for me was to make sure the door fit tight enough to prevent any sort of pry-bar from having room to get a purchase.

Make sure your box is square, or you'll have major head-aches trying to get a door to fit properly. Make sure your hinges are parallel, and squared to your door opening.

You can also order a vault door already produced, and simply build your box around it, or set it in a hardened wall.

Just remember, if you DO make your own door, be sure to locate where your lock body, mounts, re-locker (if any) are, on the OUTSIDE of the door. Recoprd the measurements, and keep them in a sfae place (NOT IN YOUR SAFE!) If something goes wrong with your "home-made" door, you will want to know where to drill to access your firearms again, without having to call a locksmith.

Pm'd you with my contact info. Any specific questions? Just ask.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Thanx Mike. I pm-ed you back.
    Thanx for the tips.
    1/4" plate thick enough? I don't have to worry about fire protection as my house won't/can't burn. I'm more interested in theft protection.
    If I can't afford/get a "front" I was considering a recessed spot in the door for a round padlock. Or, maybe even two. Something where they can't get a bolt cutters to it.
    The door will also be recessed a little to keep pry bars from getting a hold.
    I can get all kinds of heavy duty hinges from Kings Architectural metals. But if you know of good ones to use, I'm open.
    I was also contemplating a double wall door and putting shotgun shells between the plates so IF someone would want to hike a torch in to it, and if they would cut on the door, they'd get a rude awakening! :ar15: :): lol My guess is that would be a bit of a deterrent. :D
    And just a little FYI, I've been welding, designing and fab-ing projects from large machines down to soldering trombones since 1982. (my own shop since '86.) So the work is not a problem. Cool ideas and specs are what I'm after. Plus, I'm hoping some of the ideas will help others that might want something a little more secure to keep their guns in. A steel box anchored in a closet, with a padlock is better than them sitting against the wall, ya know?

Oh, that also brings me to another thought (I gots lots of 'em! :rolleyes::D) What do ya think of a HEAVY steel horizontal gun rack with heavy plate on either end and a heavy strap (s) to keep the guns there so a person could show their guns off and they would still be secure?? I'm sure I can't be the first to think of this but I have not seen it yet. I REALLY like the idea of gun cabinets, especially to show off your guns but, they are kinda easy to bust into. Just a thought. :) Lookin for yours.
    Thanx for your time.:yesway:

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Fire proofing isn't necessary for me but, if I were to fire proof it, I'd probably get some KAO Wool or other refractory/ceramic wool and line it with that.
    I also do blacksmithing and built my own gas forge. The "shell", as it were, is just X-metal (expanded metal much like HEAVY screen) and insulated with 1 1/2" of KAO Wool attached to the x-metal. When I am working in the forge, the inside can be glowing orange - about 2800* - and you can put your finger on the exact same KAO Wool on the outside of the forge and it's only warm. Kinda sounds crazy but, that's no B.S.
    Granted, the stuff can be expensive but, I don't think outta line. I think they also make some sorta board as well but I've not used it. If you are thinking about it, check it out on the net. It's cool stuff!

Top Bottom