• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I hate to admit it, but just dropped my M&P a few weeks ago. I just got out of the truck, and when I unlocked the garage walk in door, I had put it holster and all in the front pocket of my cargo shorts. I dropped the mail and squatted down to pick it up, the gun pushed up out of my pocket, and hit the concrete pavers beaver tail first, barrel up.
    Roughed it up some, but fixable, and scratched my new leather holster.
    I was pretty upset with myself over the ordeal, realizing just how lucky I was and not thinking.
    Thanked God it did not go off, and changed my shorts.
    Lesson learned. Humility painful.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    My grandpa told me a couple belly gunners in WWII dropper their Glocks when their turrets jammed.... Fat Man never did get out of his turret, and Little Boy never lived it down... Government covered the two instances up though! :laugh:

For the record, I'm a proud owner of a G23!

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I was walking across the living room taking my CZ 82 out of its IWB to put it on the end table. It seemed to go in slow motion as I realized it was slipping out of my hand. I must have touched it two or three times on the way down. It was loaded hammer down on a loaded chamber. The pucker factor was quite high during those slow mo seconds. No damage except an accelerated heart rate and momentary self-loathing for stupidity.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was walking across the living room taking my CZ 82 out of its IWB to put it on the end table. It seemed to go in slow motion as I realized it was slipping out of my hand. I must have touched it two or three times on the way down. It was loaded hammer down on a loaded chamber. The pucker factor was quite high during those slow mo seconds. No damage except an accelerated heart rate and momentary self-loathing for stupidity.
    Fortunately the CZ 82 has that "safety block" so that the hammer can't contact the firing pin unless the trigger is fully pulled back (I know - never say never, but...). I remember when I first bought my CZ 82 and got it home and saw that the hammer wasn't contacting the firing pin. I thought to myself, "This gun is junk! There's no way it will fire like this!" and almost took it back to the LGS where I bought it. Fortunately I did a little experiment, and slipped a small piece of paper between the hammer and the firing pin and dry-fired. Seeing the impression left in the paper, I did a little googling and found out that that's the way it's supposed to work. Saved me the embarrassment of taking it back to the shop and being told I was an idiot! :):

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Fortunately the CZ 82 has that "safety block" so that the hammer can't contact the firing pin unless the trigger is fully pulled back (I know - never say never, but...). I remember when I first bought my CZ 82 and got it home and saw that the hammer wasn't contacting the firing pin. I thought to myself, "This gun is junk! There's no way it will fire like this!" and almost took it back to the LGS where I bought it. Fortunately I did a little experiment, and slipped a small piece of paper between the hammer and the firing pin and dry-fired. Seeing the impression left in the paper, I did a little googling and found out that that's the way it's supposed to work. Saved me the embarrassment of taking it back to the shop and being told I was an idiot! :):

Gotta love that little CZ. Best bang for the buck.

coorslight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Carver. MA.
    When teaching The NRA Basic Pistol course I make it a point to tell my students, that in over 30 years of shooting I have only been injured once by a firearm, I was getting ready to clean one of my 1911's and it slipped out of my hands and landed on my foot, hurt like hell for 2 days. That was my only drop of a handgun.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    All the time, but done intentionally.

Every class an instructors gun hits the floor to emphasize to students that modern handguns don't just go off. Where people get in trouble is when they try to catch them because inevitably a finger goes in the trigger guard. Let dropping guns fall.

On top of that, if I need to transition to my backup gun, I just let go of the one I'm holding.

I'm sure it this has horrified some people. Guns are tools. Scratches just indicate they have been used.

If you're not carrying a drop safe gun, you should be. If you're not carrying in a holster that can adequately retain your gun, you should be.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I must have touched it two or three times on the way down.
    You are very lucky.
    The reflex upon a catch/grab is to curl your fingers when you grasp at something... if you latched on to it "mid-drop", you'd have quite possibly boogerhooked the bang switch.

Where people get in trouble is when they try to catch them because inevitably a finger goes in the trigger guard. Let dropping guns fall.

That ^.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    The gunsmith was trying to explain to me what he was looking for during his test while we were on the range. In the midst of him doing so he lost his grip and it dropped to the floor in slow motion (one in the chamber). It bounced by my feet but didn't go off. It was hard to slow my heart rate the rest of the day. No ND, thank you God...and Glock! :)

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The gunsmith was trying to explain to me what he was looking for during his test while we were on the range. In the midst of him doing so he lost his grip and it dropped to the floor in slow motion (one in the chamber). It bounced by my feet but didn't go off. It was hard to slow my heart rate the rest of the day. No ND, thank you God...and Glock! :)

So you know, it is impossible to make a Glock (or most modern handguns) discharge without pulling the trigger...perhaps by throwing it in a fire.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How is this for dropping a gun?

37-mm-antitank-pak-dropped-by-triple-parachute.jpg

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    So you know, it is impossible to make a Glock (or most modern handguns) discharge without pulling the trigger...perhaps by throwing it in a fire.

Yes I am aware of that...BUT I also know that crazy things can happen and with a modified trigger kit who knows. I do not plan on throwing it into the fire, so should be good there haha.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Not me, but a funny story.
    My buddy always packs.
    We had gone to the lumber yard and he was way up on the rack sorting through 2X4s when the yard guy came by on the fork truck asking if we needed him to get a pallet of wood down.
    Just then, Stan's 1911 decided to come out of his holster and bounce off the wood, Stan yelled an expletive, thw pistol continued down and bounced off the forks and smacked into the ground.
    The yard guy peeled out of there on the fork truck. I guess we were lucky it didnt go off since it was a series 70.

Johnny C

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not me, but a funny story.
    My buddy always packs.
    We had gone to the lumber yard and he was way up on the rack sorting through 2X4s when the yard guy came by on the fork truck asking if we needed him to get a pallet of wood down.
    Just then, Stan's 1911 decided to come out of his holster and bounce off the wood, Stan yelled an expletive, thw pistol continued down and bounced off the forks and smacked into the ground.
    The yard guy peeled out of there on the fork truck. I guess we were lucky it didnt go off since it was a series 70.

Johnny C

A Series 70 has to land muzzle down on a hard surface in order to discharge which does much no nullify the effect in the event that it does (i.e., bullet directly into a very hard surface).

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Pistol no.
    Purposely dropped my ruger 10/22 (a few times, unloaded of course) after polishing the sear and hammer to make sure it wouldn't AD. Not as exciting as all of the other stories though. But I'm pretty stupid, so I am sure I will have a more exciting story soon enough!

Top Bottom