• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Every once in a while I'll get the urge to buy a 10ga. In particular I really like the look and feel of the H&R heavy barreled single shot 10ga shotguns. I don't know what I'd ever use it for, but it just seems like it would absolutely destroy anything it hit. Maybe pumpkins after halloween, or something along those lines. I just see those things and wonder what a 10ga 00 shell would do (besides kill my shoulder).

Anyone else ever get that?

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    A H&R 176 was my first shotgun lol i got it from a guy for 50 bucks awhile ago he had cut the barrel down to 18.5 inches I sold like an idiot but I bought another one last year its always had a soft spot for me if you want one get one they can be found you just gotta look and they make 18 pellet OO buck lol

use the the 2nd shot to relocate your dislocated shoulder:rockwoot:

Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    well if you feel like the need to get one is just too great and you cannot resist and you find that you are near the rockville indiana area. i know of a place that has one for sale. No really sure of the make of it, i just remember him handing it to me and saying " i know this isnt what your looking for but this is a 10g"

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I reload them, so please save your empties!

Browning Gold 10, Ithaca-10, Ithaca SxS (shoots 2-5/8"), Marlin 10 Goose (36" barrel!), and a Winchester 1901 Lever.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I really like my 10ga. I have a BPS that I bought off of a guy that just couldn't manage carrying and swinging the thing when shooting - it is a heavy gun. That said, if you can afford to have a gun that is just used for turkey and/or goose hunting, the 10ga is hard to beat. Now - as another poster said, you cannot come close to matching the usefulness of a 12 gauge. But - if you want to subject yourself to a beating, shoot a box of 12 gauge 3-1/2 shells, rest up (i.e., recover) and then go shoot a box of 10 gauge shells. I bet that the 10 gauge won't beat you as bad simply due to the fact that they tend to weigh more. Basically, when I am hunting turkey, it is always my gun. When I hunt ducks, I stick with the 12. But when I know I am shooting geese and am in a pit or something, you still can't be the reach of a 10.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd like to have an 18" SxS 10 gauge as a range toy/general mess around gun.

10 gauge is a novelty since the 3-1/2" magnum 12 gauge came around. But dumping a couple shells that size down into the tubes of a side by side would be amazingly satisfying.

444HPD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Hamilton
    Every time I goto the gun shop I have to handle the 10ga. Like you I dont know if I would use it for anything practical it would just be one of those things you can say "Yeah I got one of those...jealous?"

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    10ga versus the 12ga is apples and onions to me.

In 3-1/2", all my 10's pattern better at 30-50 yards than a 3-1/2" in 12 ga, diameter counts.

In an autoloader (Remington/Ithaca/Browning), or an 11 pound SxS (Ithaca/Lefever/L C Smith), it doesn't hit that hard.

I still kill turkeys with a 2-3/4" 20 gauge, they all die when you pattern your load and let them get to 30 yards.

I don't shy shoot waterfowl.

I just like shooting the 10 gauge, everyone should have one!

Please save you shells, I reload.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    thought of it for goose hunting. however, most of my hunting is done on public land that have shell limits, so i doubt i'll take more than one gun into the field with me. not going to obliterate a teal or wood duck with a 10, so i'll stick with my 12.

would still be cool to have one though. if i get into turkey hunting, i'll think about getting a single shot 10, as there's usually no need (or opportunity) for a quick follow up.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    The 3-1/2" 12 gauge is a good performer but I wouldn't go so far as to say that is outguns the 10 gauge.

You are absolutely correct, 03A3. The long 12 has caught up to the 10 as far as factory loads go (revised wad designs allow similar payload), but you are still shooting it out of a smaller diameter. Same thing as people generally think that a 12 outdoes a 16 or 20 gauge. When you enter into the world of reloading, however, there is so much more that you can do with a 10 - payload, velocity, everything. Personally, I wouldn't hunt with a 10 if I didn't reload - I'm just too cheap!

I guess that there is no right answer - as long as you are happy with what you have, I say shoot it as much as you can. The 10 is a specialized weapon for a few specific tasks. I won't argue the merits of having one gun to do it all, but that doesn't mean that it is the same :)

Top Bottom