Ever help somebody zero their scope and this happens??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Have you ever spent time with someone, mounting their scope, getting it perfect, picking the ammo, zeroing, grouping awesome, then a week later, they can't hit their backside with both hands.

Invariably, they blame the scope, irregardless of type or price, and you just have to wonder, this guy can't shoot??!!

I can take a gun out of my safe, zeroed 3 years previous, take the appropriate ammo, and hit my same zero, no problem.

Why do some people have such problems??:n00b:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    my shot at it is lack of shooting. i know folks that zero there deer gun and dont use it for 5-6 years then shoot and mis and cant figure out why. they dont think its possible the problem was they hadn't pulled the trigger on anything in years

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I had this problem with my CZ... I'd get it figured out...the the next time I'd shoot it, it wouldn't hit the same POI.

I figured out that it was indeed me. I wasn't repeating cheek-weld, therefore I was looking through the scope just a little differently every time.

Same thing would happen during a string of shots, I'd lift my head to actuate the bolt. Different POI.

It was certainly the shooter...not the equipment!

-J-

topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    Some people don't shoot enough to gain muscle memory to shoot the same on different outings. Also wearing different clothing or having different weather conditions throw some people off.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    got a neighbor that never sights his gun in before deer season......i find at least 2 gut shot and yoto ate EVERY YEAR!!!!!....bad thing is i would help him...but he knows it all!!!!!

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    He might be one of my relatives. The guy sends most all his guns back to the factory a time or 2 ,then trades them in 'cause they "wont shoot". Never gives me a chance at 'em, either. His "gun expert/gunsmith" buddy keeps doing him a favor by buying them cheap...Same guy who installs his scopes. Hmmmm..

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    a simple lack of practice for 99% of all issues. Although I did have a aimpoint scope mount work "loose" that gave me a wandering zero. Bout pulled my hair out trying to figure that one out.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I had this problem with my CZ... I'd get it figured out...the the next time I'd shoot it, it wouldn't hit the same POI.

I figured out that it was indeed me. I wasn't repeating cheek-weld, therefore I was looking through the scope just a little differently every time.

Same thing would happen during a string of shots, I'd lift my head to actuate the bolt. Different POI.

It was certainly the shooter...not the equipment!

-J-

That's probably exactly it. Changing your sight picture will make your zero worthless. Basic Marksmen stuff. Breathing and trigger squeeze will make it move a little bit, but if it's a major change then it's sight picture. Meaning not putting your cheek in the same place.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I have a friend who is an AMAZING shot with his shotgun, but when it comes time to pick up a rifle/slug gun he cant hit the same 4' sheet twice in a row. This past year he was wanting to get into muzzleloaders and bought and sold a Rem. 700ML, TC Omega, and TC Triumph because they can't hold a group :rolleyes:. All were topped with leupold optics, and were shooting great when we sighted them in, but the next outing "they" were off. I've done the "let the buddy load (or not) trick to show him how bad he hammers the trigger every shot but it doesn't seem to do any good?

Oh well, I've now got a Triumph and 2 Leupolds in the safe :D.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Sometimes people don't realize it when they kinda rough with the gun and throw it in the back of the truck etc. That they might be knocking the scope off the zero mark.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have never had one do that, I am along the same lines you are I can open the safe take out a rifle and the same ammo and hit zero right off, But I do know some guys like you mention.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Sometimes the ammo you sight in the scope with is THE ammo to shoot it with, especially in .22LR. Many years ago I bought a used Mossberg bolt action 22 rifle for $25-30(remember when?). I put a $30-40 Tasco 1" scope on it, I sighted it in at25yds. with Rem. that used to come in the green plastic boxes. It shot one hole groups at that range. My late brother wanted to buy it to give to one of his sons for his birthday, I complied. I told him to use the ammo(same Rem .22) I gave the boys for Christmas to shoot in it. Later he asked me how I sighted in so well, they got the same result as I did, tiny groups at the P.O.A. The answer is using the SAME ammo.

Last edited:

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    I had a friend who borrowed a rifle for deer hunting. Came home empty handed and told me the scope was off. Thirteen years later my son took his first deer with that rifle on the first shot and no, I had never re-zeroed the scope. Some folks can't shoot and always blame the gun....

Buckaroo

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Took my one and only shot at a nice little doe a couple of years ago,.... and she looked up, and went back to grazing. After a minute she wandered off, and I headed for the barn, empty handed AGAIN... On the way up I heard something rattling. It was my &%%#@ scope! Completely loose. Wonder whose fault THAT was???
    %$#@@!!

Top Bottom