Ever hurt yourself or have any close calls while shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    originally posted by Kagnew
    The first time I lit a LAW I had my eye too close to the sight and received a nice little slice on my eyebrow. And a Walther PPK/S once tried to amputate my thumb. That's about it so far (knock on wood).
    I had wondered where my old Walther ended up. I can't look at one without wincing in pain.:xmad:

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    first time I had ever shot a rifle in my life, years and years and years ago was my buddy's AR15. Put about 5 or 6 magazines downrange and leaned it up against the wall of the shooting lane while I cleaned up the casings. after the lane was cleared up I reached over and picked the rifle up.....BY THE BARREL. never made that mistake again

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Oh yes, the first time I loaded a gun, I did the +1 part of capacity by dropping a round directly into the breach of a handgun...not a good idea and I think God stopped it from going off every time I tried it

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Two very minor and common injuries.
    One was loading my new Garand and I found out what M1 thumb is.
    The other was deer hunting with my muzzleloader. I had iron sights and a scope with see through rings. I had a nice buck standing 20 feet in front of me. I was using my iron sights and with a little buck fever going I was really in tight with my forehead tight to the scope. I shot the dear and that scope went into my forehead knocking me silly. I had a nice knot on my forehead for a few days.

My close call taught me you shouldn't handle weapons while sleep deprived. I worked noon until midnight before deer hunting the next day at sunrise. I work about 40 min from home and hunt about an hour from home. I got very little rest and was in a treestand at sunrise. I was handgun hunting with my S&W629. I saw some deer movement and getting ready for a shot I cocked the hammer back. I never got to shoot, so I pulled the trigger to ride the hammer back down with my thumb. After returning the hammer down I realized I had the revolver angled with the end of the barrel in my knee. If that hammer had slipped from from my thumb things could have gone bad. With the combo of fatigue and buck fever I lost my concentration while using a firearm. That will never happen again.

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    In basic training my squad was in the class room with our newly issued Vietnam era m16's. Weare going through the inspection and drill instructors say To raise your hand if anybody has an issues with their weapon. My friend raises his hand as the retention ball in the rear pin is dialing and the rear action pin would just slide in and out. Instructor inspects it and hands weapon back to mike and tells him it's fine. On the firing line mike is on my left and on his second shot it sounds like a grenade went off. Mike is screaming in pain. Pin came out of battery and weapon fired basically in a partially open state. Mike got burnt pretty good and took a bolt carrier in the face neither of which I recommend you try. Never saw that instructor ever again.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    First time I shot my Glock, three consecutive rounds bounced off the partition and went down the front and back of my hoodie.
    I see the problem. If you're shooting wearing a hoodie you are supposed to hold the pistol out at arms length, one handed, with it in a flat position while talking trash and wearing your pants waist band at your knees.:n00b:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    In basic training my squad was in the class room with our newly issued Vietnam era m16's. Weare going through the inspection and drill instructors say To raise your hand if anybody has an issues with their weapon. My friend raises his hand as the retention ball in the rear pin is dialing and the rear action pin would just slide in and out. Instructor inspects it and hands weapon back to mike and tells him it's fine. On the firing line mike is on my left and on his second shot it sounds like a grenade went off. Mike is screaming in pain. Pin came out of battery and weapon fired basically in a partially open state. Mike got burnt pretty good and took a bolt carrier in the face neither of which I recommend you try. Never saw that instructor ever again.
    A lot of the cadre were guys who had gone through basic a cycle or two before you and were made temporary E-4s or 5s. After that they probably shipped his butt to Ft. Polk.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    After basic and AIT in the Winter/Spring of '69 I was sent down to Ft. Dix for RVN training. We were on the firing line shooting M16s prone. The weapons would just lay at the station and each person would come up and fire a mag or so. They let us fire full auto too. I had just got into position and fired off a few rounds single. I was the third or fourth guy to shoot that particular weapon and it was pretty hot. A DI came up and squeezed a good stream of gun oil onto the barrel just forward of the chamber as I was shooting. The oil ran off the barrel, through the bottom holes in the hand guard and burned the hell out of the palm of my support hand. I couldn't say much since he was a DI.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    I was showing a young lady how to shoot a .22 pistol once. I explained to her everything that would happen, went over safety rules, had eyes and ears on, so I thought we were safe. However, she was not the sharpest tool in the shed and after firing the first round, freaked out and pointed the gun directly at me with her finger on the trigger. I hit the deck and luckily she calmed down and pointed the gun in a safe direction. It was a good lesson though. I never give a first shooter more than 1 round at a time now.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I see the problem. If you're shooting wearing a hoodie you are supposed to hold the pistol out at arms length, one handed, with it in a flat position while talking trash and wearing your pants waist band at your knees.:n00b:

Does it count if later I practiced one handed shooting? It was at a slight angle, but there was no aagging or trash talking.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    No, I would argue it isn't nearly as long as it would be if everyone was adding input and was honest.

;)

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Was practicing the Israeli draw and somehow the thumb of my offhand ended up behind the slide while firing. The slide hit the tip of my thumb nail, cracking it and leaving a nasty bruise.

g194life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Was shooting plates and a ricochet came back and hit the guy beside me in the chest, he was on blood thinners and bleed like crazy.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    When I was a kid. My first BB gun - a Daisy lever action. At one point, BB's stopped coming out when I shot it, so I cocked it again and held my finger over the end of the barrel while I pulled the trigger, to see if it was pushing any air. Of course, that was when the BB's settled so that one would finally fire.

Luckily, like I said, it was just a Daisy, so all I got was a BB-sized blood blister. I coulda put my eye out with that thing!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    When I was a kid. My first BB gun - a Daisy lever action. At one point, BB's stopped coming out when I shot it, so I cocked it again and held my finger over the end of the barrel while I pulled the trigger, to see if it was pushing any air. Of course, that was when the BB's settled so that one would finally fire.

Luckily, like I said, it was just a Daisy, so all I got was a BB-sized blood blister. I coulda put my eye out with that thing!

images

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I had just replaced a buncha parts in a mossberg 500 12 gauge ( extractor ejector and some springs) and needed to run it some to make sure everything was gonna stay where I put it. So I reached into the bottom of an ammo can of 12 gauge ammo, removed the boxes and scooped up a dozen loose rounds. I thought they were all medium field loads , like a quail load or something. One of 'em was a huge goose load. Dern near dropped the gun after my cheek bounced off the stock.
    Thought for a minute it had fired out of battery.
    Guess it wasn't really dangerous.

Top Bottom