• ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    picture.php

My Dad and my Grandfather both used brushes to apply their shaving lotion, but today this seems to be a lost practice. I don't know of anyone who uses a shaving brush.

Does anyone out in INGO land use a shaving brush? What are the benefits? What should one look for when purchasing a shaving brush?

Thanks

It's just a hastle, but I've used one just for nostalgia.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Badger brush and Edwin Jagger razor for me. Poraso soap and Astra premium blades. Blades cost me 9 cents a week and the shave is better.

Start slow and let the weight of the razor reduce your beard. You will get the hang of it without slicing up your face.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    i wanted to buy a straight razor to shave with before i found out they were like $200

Nah, you can get a kit including strop and brush for that much Vintage Blades LLC*::*Straight Razor Sets*::*Complete Straight Razor Sets - Dovo Carbon Steel

But the sky is the limit on straight razors it seems.

Thanks to all for their advice. I purchased a brush at Art of Shaving at the Fashion Mall.

We'll see how it goes...

Hopefully you weren't intending to get away from Proctor and Gamble (Gilette) because they own AoS. There's a guy that goes by mantic59 on YouTube that made some excellent videos that should help you get started. http://sharpologist.com/shaving-videos

Last edited:

buffalohump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    I recieved my first brush at Fort Campbell Ky, Had a beard fron 1970 to 1987.have used a brush since then, Wally World has them & the cakes. Very inexpensieve

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I only have to shave once a week.(I gotta lil' injun in me like 90% of folks with Kentucky roots do. I mean I am no Eliizabeth Warren or anything:):) and I have used the brush (Badger bristles made in England) for the past 15 years. I like it and believe it or not Burma Shave is my soap of choice.

Like previous posters stated, I use double edged safety razors.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Badger brush, Pils double edge razor with Feather blades and a variety of soaps; Mitchell's Wool Fat and L'Occitane are a couple favorites.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    Badger brush, Poraso soap, a 60+ year old Gillette double edged razor and Pinaud Bay Rum Aftershave. I've been doing it this way for about two years now. The smoothest shave of my life.

Top Bottom