Ever wonder how someone gets shot over a pair of shoes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I was relating this story recently and thought I would share it on here.

When I was younger I never understood how anyone could be so stupid as to shoot someone over a pair of shoes... then as many things in life go I found out how.

Many years ago a friend lived in a seedy part of town, but it was what he could afford at the time. Anyhow, when he finally got a new place, he asked me and a couple others to help him move. Most things had already been moved, save for a couch I lent him. So him, myself and 2 others went along to grab the couch. Here's where things heated up...

So we arrive in the driveway to find people in the house. He still had a day left to move things according to his contract, but apparently the landlord had already moved some new people in. Shouldn't be a big problem right? Well turns out they had been given the couch to use. Also turns out the guy and gal are gang member wanna-bes. My friend was trying to get a hold of the landlord to figure out what was up, meanwhile the guy, all 5'6" of him kept telling us to leave, while we were trying to explain that not only were we legally entitled to be there via contract, we were also trying to get a hold of the landlord to sort this out.

Well that wasn't good enough for him. He was now yelling, telling us if we didn't leave right then that he would go to his car and get his "piece". Well one of the other people who came along asked if he was threatening him with a gun (he was also a licensed carried). The thug-hopeful repeated that he was going to go to his car and get his peace. Well the exact phrases above mentioned were uttered by both tit for tat with ever increasing fervor. I doubt the jerk KNEW we were carrying, but he was obviously a little unsettled by our almost complete disregard for his threat. By this point both my friend and the other guys girlfriend had called the police but I don't know if they were aware of the full intensity of the situation.

Now I don't know exactly what this guy was thinking, but when he heard the police had been called, he (I think for bravado's sake) shouted the usual tough guy obscenities and indicated that it was too late and started to walk to his car to which both myself (I had largely been quite other than adding the police would be there soon to straighten it out which was met with a STFU and similar intelligent banter) and the other guy who was carrying quickly grabbed our carry pieces but neither one of us pulled, just had our hands on them. He stopped, but I don't think it was because he realized we were carrying, but rather that he was full of it. My friend was freaking out more or less and just as that pause hit, he finally got a hold of the landlord who resolved the situation.

We ended up leaving. I don't know if the police ever did show up. I had drove seperately and when I got down the road a couple miles and the adreneline had cooled off, I realized how stupid that was. Sure the guy was a jerk, but to even think it would come to a fire fight over a COUCH! How absurd. When I had gotten back home the other guy left me a message to call him back. We spoke for a while and confirmed that it was ridiculous and more than a bit shameful. We should have just walked away when we realized the guy wasn't a reasonable human being.

Lesson learned... don't let punks pull you into idiocy.

Now we can look back and laugh at ourselves. We affectionately refer to the situation as the Shootout at the OK Couch. But now we could see how heated exchanges mixed with ample amounts of stupdity could lead to someone getting shot for practically nothing.

Note to the story, the rather irrate thug wannabe was picked up soon after that event for sentencing in a stabbing. Don't know if he really had a gun or not but it was proof the guy wasn't playing with a full deck. I wonder if he ever considered just how stupid the situation was.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Of course you did the right thing in keeping your cool. This story just proves you NEVER know what seemingly innocent situation may suddenly escalate into the surreal.
    Being armed is only PART of a winning strategy.
    By far your most dangerous weapon is your mind! A clear head is absolutely VITAL in a situation such as the one you described.
    The finest armament is all but useless if wielded along with a clouded thought process.

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Tyranny is never overcome by fleeing from it.

I don't know I really love my couch. I also hate when people try to bully a situation that I am right in. I don't think I would have handled it any differently then you did.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I don't care how nice of a couch it was,

What if it was a Lay-Z-Boy?

I had a somewhat similar situation to this where someone gets really upset over nothing. I also wrote a thread about it. It's just hard to understand how people can function like that. Obviously this guy couldn't, and since he's in jail, i hope it's the same guy that i found.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Nope never got the couch back. My friend was kind of spineless and after the altercation didn't want anything to do with it. I doubt I would have wanted it back anyhow. I wouldn't doubt there was drug use and who knows what else on that couch even after a week of their use... It was actually my favorite couch I have ever owned... it was an Ashcraft. Everyone loved napping on it. He let it go and since it all depended on him, I had to let it go as well. :-/ I wonder if they still make that model. It was sage green and felt like suede. Oh so comfortable. Particularly in the summer. It absorbed the cool air from the AC, firm yet supple... like a cool comfy cloud. I still mourn its loss. :)

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    [ It was actually my favorite couch I have ever owned... it was an Ashcraft. Everyone loved napping on it. He let it go and since it all depended on him, I had to let it go as well. :-/ I wonder if they still make that model. It was sage green and felt like suede. Oh so comfortable. Particularly in the summer. It absorbed the cool air from the AC, firm yet supple... like a cool comfy cloud. I still mourn its loss. :)[/quote]

Sorry for the loss of your couch. It sounds like it was a one in a million maybe someday your paths will cross again. :)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I agree that some things need to be let go of. However, in some situations people need to be tought a lesson. Not with violence, but with tact. Maybe that guy learned his lesson, and maybe he did not. However some people need to be knocked off their pedistol. Sometimes that's what it takes to do so.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I'm more than willing to bet that wanna be guy had a jennings, highpoint, or some random .25 cal. And it would have been called a glock either way. Not to metion it would have been held side ways J/K. All jokes aside, you did what i would have done. You stood your ground with out loosing your head. So i'd say it was a good day in the end!:ingo:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I wonder if they still make that model. It was sage green and felt like suede. Oh so comfortable. Particularly in the summer. It absorbed the cool air from the AC, firm yet supple... like a cool comfy cloud. I still mourn its loss. :)

Dude, hand over the man card and no one will get hurt. :D

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Actually retreating, calling the landlord for the couch and police for the threat of gun violence would be the right thing to do. Avoiding and avoidable confrontation is the surest way to keep everyone healthy.

I understand getting the fur up and I think backing down is the toughest thing to do but that is how wise men grow old enough to become wise.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    Back down?
    Why so he can just continue to treat people like dirt because he knows that he's going to get away with it. I would have waited as long as it took for the police to arrive and I would have left with MY couch or it would have ended up in the police evidence locker, but it would not have stayed in that house. For those that are thinking, It's just a couch. It's has nothing to do with the couch, it has to do with respect for what is right and then standing up for it. Then just maybe there would have been one less jerk in the world because then he would have learned that there are those who will call his bluff, as well as the cops.

BTW when he said he going to get his "piece" out of the car, you did exactly the right thing, you didn't let him get to the car or his "piece".

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    "Holy cow... you keep your piece in your car?! I keep mine much handier....":cool:

Good on you for keeping your head and not letting a stupid situation escalate:yesway:

g194life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Back down?
    Why so he can just continue to treat people like dirt because he knows that he's going to get away with it. I would have waited as long as it took for the police to arrive and I would have left with MY couch or it would have ended up in the police evidence locker, but it would not have stayed in that house. For those that are thinking, It's just a couch. It's has nothing to do with the couch, it has to do with respect for what is right and then standing up for it. Then just maybe there would have been one less jerk in the world because then he would have learned that there are those who will call his bluff, as well as the cops.

BTW when he said he going to get his "piece" out of the car, you did exactly the right thing, you didn't let him get to the car or his "piece".

+ 1

Top Bottom