• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Hey guys, I need some help. My friend does not believe open carry is legal in Indiana. I need to prove otherwise.

Could you help me out with some links to Indiana law or other evidence? :dunno:

Thanks INGO.:ingo:

(Reps for helping me out!)

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I don't know of any law that says something is legal, laws usually work the other way lol. There's lots of stories here about people that OC you could show him.

It is as legal as CC in Indiana

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    You don't have to show him it's illegal......just show him your LTCH and have him tell you where it says you can't.

If that doesn't work for him, send me a PM and I'll give you my PD email address and he ask me for himself.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    roscott, don't look down the wrong end of the barrel of the law.:D

Remember, the common law has been supplanted by statute. If there is not a statute making something a crime, then it is legal. Actori incumbit onus probadi (the burden is upon the plaintiff to prove otherwise).

Indiana Code prohibits carrying a handgun without a license. There is no dress code requirement modifying carry in Indiana.

Have your friend show YOU where it is illegal to open carry. Let him begin here:

Indiana Code 35-47-2

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Straight from the Indiana State Police

Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or exposed?

Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may alarm some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private property and businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted areas when carrying firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for official business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement officer does have the right to inspect the permit.

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/2010_Firearms_licensing_FAQs(1).pdf

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Hey guys, I need some help. My friend does not believe open carry is legal in Indiana. I need to prove otherwise.

Could you help me out with some links to Indiana law or other evidence? :dunno:

Thanks INGO.:ingo:

(Reps for helping me out!)

This is what I understand about the law when it comes to your LTCH. It's a license to carry a handgun. No where in the law it says you have to carry concealed. It just says you have the right to carry a handgun. Some people are nervous and have problems when people are displaying a weapon.

I actually would prefer to carry it out in the open, it would be easier to get to it in the time of need. On your property, you can carry your gun out in the open. Even if you don't own the land. If you rent it, it's being leased to you and you are in all your rights to protect it.

I wouldn't go out and carry out in the open everywhere you go, but some places like walmart, allow you to open carry in the store.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Thanks for the quick responses! I'll definitely use all this, including the links you guys posted.

My friend has his LTCH and carries regularly, but he isn't on INGO to learn that OC is very legal! I'm sure I'll be able to change his misconception.

Thanks again! Repped! :ingo:

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    My friend has his LTCH and carries regularly, but he isn't on INGO to learn that OC is very legal! I'm sure I'll be able to change his misconception.

Thanks again! Repped! :ingo:

Send him the "Where did you OC today?" thread link ...and recommend he start reading ...maybe even join... INGO! :ingo:

Top Bottom