• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Belt99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Anderson
    I thought this might make for an interesting discussion. I have only been carrying regularly now for about 6 months. It has been a process for me finding out what I am comfortable with.

I started off with a Smith & Wesson 908, with one extra mag. I carried it in a Fobus holster that I have come to really like. A topped it off with a Gerber folding knife.

DSCF0223.jpg

I carried this for about two months before deciding that I wanted to downsize a little bit. I moved to a Bersa Thunder 380. I bought another Fobus holster and added a Fobus mag holder. I bought two extra mags. I also bought a new knife shortly after Christmas. Its a Kershaw knife with speedsafe assisted opening.

DSCF0225.jpg

I loved this gun and it shoots great. I enjoyed carrying it but it was still somewhat bulky for some carrying situations. I decided that what I really needed was a pocket gun.

So i went to a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380.

DSCF0226.jpg

I had planned on getting a Ruger LCP with the factory laser attached. When i got to the gun shop I was able to inspect the Bodyguard. I immediately fell in love with the Bodyguard and decided to go that direction instead.

How has your EDC changed?

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    4506> G17> XD> XDM> CZ P-01

if that bersa is too bulky for you its probably the holster. the only trouble i have had carrying full size guns was when sitting down. the grip always hits the chair and makes it uncomfortably. a compact size is the perfect balance of size and cocealability.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think you will find that, if you ditch the Fobus and get a good quility holster and belt, that you can carry most anything all day with no problems.

I have to agree. I tried a Blackhawk Serpa with my S&W MP 5"...but I hated it. when I got my leather El Paso Sadderly holster and belt, I can now wear it all day without knowing it is there.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I was just thinking about my changes as well the other day.

Started with this 5906 in a fobus
    picture.php

It changed to this with Hogue grips with Blackhawk Serpa Holster
    picture.php

And eventually morphed into this CZ 75 Compact in .40 In a Black Hawk Serpa/ Custom IWB similar to Crossbreed.
    picture.php

Also upgraded to a better EDC Knife Kershaw Blur Tanto

picture.php

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The real evolution for me was in realizing that any EDC involves compromise. I don't think any are perfect for every situation. For me a .45 is perfect...except for capacity. So a double stack 9? They are great but kinda thick and bulky. Okay, how about a .380 or something in Makarov? Well, again capacity becomes a concern along with "how many hits will I have to make to get a stop?" It all comes down to compromises.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I have to agree. I tried a Blackhawk Serpa with my S&W MP 5"...but I hated it. when I got my leather El Paso Sadderly holster and belt, I can now wear it all day without knowing it is there.

Got a pic of your holster? I have a serpa now, I dont hate it but I want something better, and leather. For me the serpa rides about 1" too high. Dont wanna go too low though and stuff the muzzle into the seat cusion.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is where I'm at. Springfield 1911 full size, 2 8rd .45mags > sig p6 2 8rd 9mm mags > S&W M&P9 3 17rd 9mm mags. Always carry a gerber pocket knife...

I always frowned upon the 9mm but then I bought one and with the accuracy of a smaller round and the ability to carry multiple hi-cap mags... I'm sold

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    Started with the MP 9c and still there. Also started with the same paraframe you have in the pic. Added a bg .380 picked up a sog spring assist knife when I misplaced the paraframe. I also rock the seepage holster for of and use a falcon iwb for concealed. Bg resides in right front pocket in an uncle mikes pocket holster. I carry 2 17 rnd mags for the MP and 3 spares for the bg.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Started with the MP 9c and still there. Also started with the same paraframe you have in the pic. Added a bg .380 picked up a sog spring assist knife when I misplaced the paraframe. I also rock the seepage holster for of and use a falcon iwb for concealed. Bg resides in right front pocket in an uncle mikes pocket holster. I carry 2 17 rnd mags for the MP and 3 spares for the bg.

How big are your pants? Two 17 rounder's for the MP and 3 spares for a bug in front pocket, thats like 50+rds just in extra mags. Which mall is it that you're working at??? If I'm expecting this much trouble, I'm just bringing my M&P15 instead of my daily carry M&P.40c (which for the topic of this thread, I've carried for three years).

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Back in the younger days a S&W .38 Cheifs Special, or Colt Combat Commander were the norm, then I too downsized to a Walthers PPK/s before Glock. Then the G-19 for years and now either a G-27 or G-23, although I just picked up a G-26 and have been playing around with it.

Knife is an old Schrade or Boker ceramic Infinity.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    the two 17 rounders sit in my left cargo pocket. the 3 6 rnd bg mags sleep in the small "5th" pocket. left front pocket has edc knife and pen, right cargo pocket has keys and edc flashlight. i do not work at a mall. instead of 2 12 rnd spares, since i own the 17's, might as well take them with me. and it is total of 72 rounds, 52 of which is in spare mags. i also keep the rest of my spares for the m&p 9 in the console of the truck. not paranoid, just figure if i have it, i might as well take it with me.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    the two 17 rounders sit in my left cargo pocket. the 3 6 rnd bg mags sleep in the small "5th" pocket. left front pocket has edc knife and pen, right cargo pocket has keys and edc flashlight. i do not work at a mall. instead of 2 12 rnd spares, since i own the 17's, might as well take them with me. and it is total of 72 rounds, 52 of which is in spare mags. i also keep the rest of my spares for the m&p 9 in the console of the truck. not paranoid, just figure if i have it, i might as well take it with me.
    Wow, Danville must be a pretty rough place. I have plenty of weaponry and ammo and magazines but just because I have them does'nt mean I feel the need to carry everything I own.

To each his own I guess, if you feel comfortable packing all that extra weight around then more power to ya.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    its not a rough place at all. and as far as the extra weight, the 3 bug mags dont weigh hardly anything and dont take up much pocket space, and the 2 spare 9mm mags occupy a rarely used pocket as well, and really dont have a lot of weight to them either. there are a lot of people out there that carry two spare mags for their primary edc.

Gun Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    mine went like this, naa 32 guardian-glock 26-glock 19-kahr p380-ruger lc9-glock 26-kahr p380 is current

Adamz04 - can you share your experiences with the Glock 19 vs. Ruger LC9 vs. Kahr? I love all of these, but am still undecided on which compromise to take. To me, the Glock 19 seems to be the most versatile all-around, but a bit big and thick. The others are smaller but sacrifice capacity. Also, is the LC9 DAO or DA/SA?

Thanks!

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    I started with an XD 40. It took me about 3 years before I realized that no matter how much I trained with it, I could not make myself like it. Moved to the M&P 40 and havent looked back. Always CC with an MTAC IWB.

I picked up a Ruger LCP for quick trips through town, but cant bring myself to trust the caliber to do what I need it to. It takes me just as much time to put my wallet in my pocket as it does to put the holster on. I never leave home without the M&P.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Taurus 24/7 in .45 >>> Polish P64 in 9x18 >>> G17 >>> Taurus TCP .380 >>> G26 >>> Taurus 605 in .357

Been an interesting progression. I now pocket carry the .357 most of the time, and I'll add another one of the larger ones whenever possible in an OWB holster.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    When I first got my LTCH, I CC'd my Bersa Thunder Plus .380 in a leather Galco IWB holster. After getting comfortable with carrying, I began OC'ing my Beretta 96FS in a Blackhawk Serpa holster & a custom leather spare mag holder. I still carry my Bersa when I occasionally CC. So I didn't exactly "evolve", but instead, expanded my carry options.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

I would consider how you might defend yourself if you ever got into a situation where you were facing a jury. A prosecutor would have a field day with this. I think you put yourself in danger of being accused of looking for a fight.

Top Bottom