Excuse me, Can I borrow everything you are carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    So, what is the best response? Let's assume you are out, not drinking, but your buddy is, and you stay out until 2:30. You are in Indiana and you have your weapon (iwb) and Indiana permit on you. You see the potential threat a few yards out. Nothing, to that point, merits drawing your weapon. When does it? Once bad guy number two draws, it seems too late.

I am a newbie, so what would be the "pro" response? I don't intend to bunker up in my house, so yes, I could be out at 2:30 am leaving a bar.

My recommendation, take Coach and BBI's Defensive Handgun 1 course as soon as possible. I will take DH2 as soon as I am able. I traveled 2.5 hours 1 way and another member 3 hours and we agree it is worth every penny (only $100) and the time spent.

PhxCollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2017
    Indiana
    :D

So that's my class he's referencing. It's a bit more nuanced than simply loudly cursing at someone...but it may involve loudly cursing at someone. Just so I don't have to reinvent the wheel with who I am and what I teach: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../436878-defensive-concepts-double-header.html

In short, I've worked a lot of robberies, shootings, and stabbings. I've also put the time in to study the basics of criminal psychology, decision making, behavioral economics, etc. as it applies to this particular arena.

The first thing is you can't act like prey and you can't let them close too much. Being submissive and passive encourages the attacker. Firm response, and if that doesn't work, step it up to straight up rude and loud. Attract attention. Look how close to the door they were. If you can put them back on their heels mentally for a few seconds, you can escape back into the bar and probably avoid the whole thing. Way better than having to shoot someone. You're not risking getting hurt, you're not talking to the police as a shooter, you're not waiting for the civil suit to drop, etc.

So let's say you didn't do that. You didn't see trouble coming, you didn't defuse the situation, you couldn't stall their OODA loop long enough to escape, so you are now at the 14 second mark. It's time to fight. Not the half-measure slapping at the gun. When it's go time, it's all out go time. Speed, surprise, and overwhelming violence. The robber with the gun is using it as a prop. He is not paying attention, he's waving it around, he's obviously not expecting resistance. Especially white hat guy could have drawn and drilled him before armed robber knew what was up. So, skill dependent, draw, get a good hit, move or draw and shoot on the move. Take a scan of the area, create distance, seek cover, or get back in the building depending on what that scan shows you.

Thanks Coach. I will definitely look into your next class. That is useful info, i was just trying to understand how to be prepared but not overreact to every "potential" threat.

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    This is actually something we talk about in my class. The common lead-ups to robberies, why they use them, and how to get ahead of the curve. Hint: If you're not smoking and someone asks for a light, you're about to get robbed.

It's all in how you answer the question. I routinely get asked for a cigarette or a lighter. I have never smoked in my life and I usually just walk away.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    did the sound work for you guys? It didn't for me. Seems to me like the camera caught the perps pretty good, did they get arrested yet?

No sound on the video.

Also, in the beginning you see two people walking down the sidewalk, the woman leading.
    Do you EVER see two acquaintances walking single file like that?
    Do you see how he tucks in behind the woman using her as a visual block and distraction?
    ALWAYS look at the guy hanging back, he is the threat, the one that approaches you is the distraction.

Top Bottom