• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So for those folks complaining about the "brace ban" being Trump's fault, now you're seeing him implement changes that will directly impact such actions.

So when is he going to fix it then? Because he can fix it now right?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    By increasing the accountability of career bureaucrats, and imposing term limits, I think that we could see significant improvements in the respect for our liberties. Having unelected bureaucrats unilaterally decide to reinterpret laws that affect millions of Americans, and having the judicial branch give deference to these bureaucrats, is the antithesis of an open and fair society.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    By increasing the accountability of career bureaucrats, and imposing term limits, I think that we could see significant improvements in the respect for our liberties. Having unelected bureaucrats unilaterally decide to reinterpret laws that affect millions of Americans, and having the judicial branch give deference to these bureaucrats, is the antithesis of an open and fair society.

I used to be a term limits guy, but no more. There are much bigger issues to deal with. If you can look at this from a different direction, with me, and think abut the ramifications.

I see several potential negative outcomes from term limits.

The biggest is if we term limit the representatives then only the bureaucrats and lobbyists will have significant tenure and experience. Our representatives would always be the least battle prepped to fight in the swamp.

If every election cycle a third or half the house was term limited the likelihood of bad legislation increases due to all the lame ducks that have no reason to worry about constituents at home.

The typical congressperson is reelected with 55% of the vote, a 55% approval, and many do better than that. However studies show that congress itself has a 6% approval, meaning that almost everyone hates everyone else's congressperson...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Term limits? For career officials? What exactly is that?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I used to be a term limits guy, but no more. There are much bigger issues to deal with. If you can look at this from a different direction, with me, and think abut the ramifications.

I see several potential negative outcomes from term limits.

The biggest is if we term limit the representatives then only the bureaucrats and lobbyists will have significant tenure and experience. Our representatives would always be the least battle prepped to fight in the swamp.

If every election cycle a third or half the house was term limited the likelihood of bad legislation increases due to all the lame ducks that have no reason to worry about constituents at home.

The typical congressperson is reelected with 55% of the vote, a 55% approval, and many do better than that. However studies show that congress itself has a 6% approval, meaning that almost everyone hates everyone else's congressperson...
    If we implement a system where bureaucrats turn over more often that reduces the impact that they have on our political lobby. In terms of the lobbyists, having turn limits would reduce the ability for them to develop these long lasting relationships that they have with long serving politicians. Having a hard reset every X years would at least reduce their influence as they have to rebuild their relationships more often.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Only way to reduce the power of lobbyists is to reduce the power of the Federal government...

No play for the pay will get a lot of people uninterested in lobbying the Federal government.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Only way to reduce the power of lobbyists is to reduce the power of the Federal government...

No play for the pay will get a lot of people uninterested in lobbying the Federal government.

I know the notion you're trying to convey, but the notion is false. Lobbyists aren't going anywhere, and the less power the federal govt has, the STRONGER they will become .

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I know the notion you're trying to convey, but the notion is false. Lobbyists aren't going anywhere, and the less power the federal govt has, the STRONGER they will become .
    And how will that work? If fedgov has less power to pick winners and losers, and less power to put up regulational roadblocks to competition, what will the lobbyists money buy them?
    More power to the states will require the lobbyists to bring their corruption closer to home and voter accountability.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

The word power has different meanings in the sentence locations. The power of lobbyists is the power of persuasion and blackmail. The power of the government is vague overreaching laws. The power of persuasion and blackmail will not increase with fewer overreaching laws. In fact if there are fewer overreaching laws there would be less need for lobbying...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Lobbyists work on three fronts on behalf of interested parties, and they are the three main branches of government. They lobby executive politicians & bureaucrats, and they lobby legislators, and they lobby judiciary in more subtle ways. If the executive branch had less power to provide a payoff, that would decrease lobbying in the executive branch. That doesn’t imply that there is more room in the other two branches.

But as it pertains to this EO, it doesn’t really reduce lobbying in the executive branch at all. Even if agency upper management turns over with every president, they still have the legislatively granted role of policymaking. They still have power. It’s just that the power is more controlled by the chief executive.

Top Bottom