• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    This looks like a really good "data based" snapshot on the current state of gun proposals, where each group stands and liklihood of passing. When a blog has sourced the info and talked to actual legislators and interests groups to gauge political pressures and opinions, I typically take them seriously. Based on this info, looks like administrative steps will go into effect with EOs but any AWB or mag limits don't have much of a chance:

Obama is rolling out his gun proposals soon. Here’s what you need to know.

Likely executive orders on guns:

-imposing new limits on guns imported from overseas

-compelling federal agencies to improve sharing of mental health records

-directing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to conduct research on gun violence

-tougher prosecution of people who lie on their background checks

-more aggressive prosecution of those who buy guns illegally

-background checks for employees of gun dealers

-stricter inventory control at federally licensed gun dealers

- requirement that the FBI to contact state and local agencies when a gun buyer is rejected for mental health reasons

-Increasing the number of prosecutions for lying on background-check forms

Proposals requiring congressional action:

-banning assault weapons

-limiting the capacity of ammunition magazines

-mandating universal background checks

- the vice president was likely to have given Obama proposals for allowing schools flexibility in spending federal grant money so they could take steps toward safety, including hiring school resource officers

-making repairs like putting locks on doors

But we are unlikely to see gun control that requires congressional action to succeed. According to Harry Reid, “Is it something that can pass the Senate? Maybe. Is it something that can pass the House? I doubt it."

Last edited:

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Im afraid to say it because i dont wanna get fried by my fellow ingoers, but some of that stuff im ok with. Let me clarify before you guys hang me, tougher enforcement on pre existing laws...... Guns imported, im on the fence. On one hand i dont care because there are american made ARs, but i know there are fello ingoers who love there Aks and such and i dont want there rights trampled because they prefer a certain firearm. I dont agree to high cap mag bans, or AWB, and definately not the registry. I will admit i dont have a problem with tougher prosecutions for liars on apps, background checks for LGS employess. Mental health thing im ok with. PLease take it easy on me.....

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Im afraid to say it because i dont wanna get fried by my fellow ingoers, but some of that stuff im ok with. Let me clarify before you guys hang me, tougher enforcement on pre existing laws...... Guns imported, im on the fence. On one hand i dont care because there are american made ARs, but i know there are fello ingoers who love there Aks and such and i dont want there rights trampled because they prefer a certain firearm. I dont agree to high cap mag bans, or AWB, and definately not the registry. I will admit i dont have a problem with tougher prosecutions for liars on apps, background checks for LGS employess. Mental health thing im ok with. PLease take it easy on me.....

I will be extremely pissed if I can no longer buy aks or any of the russian ammo

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    I will be extremely pissed if I can no longer buy aks or any of the russian ammo

I am with you. I prefer the AK platform and if there are EOs against importation of them and their ammo, us AK lovers are going to be in for a world of hurt. I hope that someone will step up and produce affordable domestic ammo and parts.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    The mental health thing sounds good, but where do you draw the line? That's what I wonder about. If you had a rough time 20 years ago and saw a shrink does that disqualify you? Do you need a check from a Psychiatrist before purchase? What if he was anti-gun and claimed you were not mentally fit to own a gun simply because he doesn't want anyone buying one? What if he didn't care or didn't diagnose correctly? I'd like to know details about what they are thinking...

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Have you heard that they will grandfather in current possession?
    Also, the talk on registration has died down. Do your sources have anything to say on that issue?

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    The mental health thing sounds good, but where do you draw the line? That's what I wonder about. If you had a rough time 20 years ago and saw a shrink does that disqualify you? Do you need a check from a Psychiatrist before purchase? What if he was anti-gun and claimed you were not mentally fit to own a gun simply because he doesn't want anyone buying one? What if he didn't care or didn't diagnose correctly? I'd like to know details about what they are thinking...

I think if it comes to that, the word will get out on what psychiatrists are "gun-friendly" and which ones aren't. Simply choose one from the "approved" list.

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    "Mental Health" will be defined by whoever is in control. Progressives are in control of the media, and a large part of the State. Things are getting so polarized that it won't be long before the Progressives will be able to define (and have it be accepted by the masses) Conservatism/Constitutionalism as mental disorders simply because of how drastic the differences are between us (paranoid, religious, close-minded neanderthals) and them (forward thinkers, open-minded, tolerant model citizens). We already see it come out in things like "bitter clingers" and the like. It won't be long, it has happened before with every propagandizing tyrant, be it Hitler's nationalists, or some other example of tyranny in the past.

EDIT: This ^, or something very similar will happen if things don't change for the better very soon, IMO.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Actually I don't have a problem with what you said, and I think it is in keeping with the position of the NRA as well. They have always argued that the existing laws should be enforced particularly the lying on background checks part. I also like the mental health part in principle, but I think it will reach the "anybody who wants a gun must be crazy so no gun for you" state at some point.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm not very happy about the importing of guns. I suspect that this will include any firearm manufactured overseas and not just long rifles or anything black and scary looking. That will knock out some good guns such as the Italian made Berettas (luckily they can transfer manufacturing to Accocreek, MD), the Croatian Springfields, and the Czech CZ's just to name a few.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    for all the AK lovers Like me, Can't we expect to see 100% US built AK variants pop up everywhere if a weapon import order is issued?

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    AND How does any of this help protect children?
    Nothing about this makes any sense except the "mental health" protion.
    A Typical of this president

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste

I dont really have an issue with your position. Lets actually ENFORCE the laws we have. We already have back ground checks..i have no issues for stiff penalties for liars...i HATE liars.

We DO need to do something on the mental health side. Slippery slope i agree. But i am thinking more along the lines of mental health help/tracking etc.

On the fence with importation. The only reason i dont have an XD is they are croation, dont care for globs errr glocks and i can see a boom in the US for manufacture of of these and other guns...thats ONE way to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US. To the ammo price thing....i can see the market dictating price and certain ammos will be more affordable than others....until the EPA gets ramped up. This is where we need to tell congress to keep them on a shoestring budget.

But yes, NONE of these "new" things do a DAMN thing to help safety or security. We need to BAN GFZ's if we want safety and security.

Thats my :twocents:

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Well maybe if an E.O on imports it might mean more money for the firearms companies here in the US and maybe more jobs. Just trying to be possitive INGO people and not **** anyone off.

Top Bottom