• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Robotic suit gives shipyard workers super strength - health - 04 August 2014 - New Scientist

mg22329803.900-1_300.jpg

Headline is off, as usual, as right now the capacity is about 70 lbs, but the developers want to get it to 220 lbs before its release. It has a 3 hour battery life currently.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    3 hour battery life is a start... but not necessarily a good one. Granted, the P-5000 might be a little too big and cumbersome for the application. Or, it might just be that they haven't figured out yet how to build something that big and keep the costs down to something resembling reasonable. My thought would be to try to compromise and build something in between in size...and either run it off a fuel cell, or maybe even a small engine with a decently sized fuel tank. I was thinking about how electric generators have gotten much better in the last couple decades--couldn't a relatively small generator pump out enough electricity for running hydraulic motors? Imagine something that is part P-5000, part whatever those things were in Avatar, and part the suit shown in the article. Or am I overthinking this completely because I've actually had enough coffee for a change???

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Thanks. But I'll wait for the Caterpillar P-5000 Work Loader...

Weyland_Power_Loader.jpg

Weyland Corp won't patent it for another 11 years, but I can wait.

Don't care what anyone thinks or the law: If they ever made those, I would pack my pockets with my manifesto and shrooms, get loaded, steal one, and trash the port areas with it. Throw hot dog carts at police cars, chase panicking children and their parents, use light poles like an Indonesian fighting sticks... Are you not entertained? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?! IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?! SPANIARD! SPANIARD! SPAINIA...

Opps, forgot, I got shot by a cop through the unenclosed cab of the unit... Well, there goes that idea...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This technology, like a lot of others, is just waiting on the next great condensation of regulated power.:)

The original Robert Heinlein Mobile Infantry.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Don't care what anyone thinks or the law: If they ever made those, I would pack my pockets with my manifesto and shrooms, get loaded, steal one, and trash the port areas with it. Throw hot dog carts at police cars, chase panicking children and their parents, use light poles like an Indonesian fighting sticks... Are you not entertained? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?! IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?! SPANIARD! SPANIARD! SPAINIA...

Opps, forgot, I got shot by a cop through the unenclosed cab of the unit... Well, there goes that idea...

I was with ya right till the end, then I got a tear in my eye.

Seriously though, It's pretty cool technology. And all is good and well till someone drops a man hole cover on there toes!

Top Bottom