• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Question, do you know someone at Detonics, or have you built a rapport over the years? How does one manage to be able to snag such gems? Beside, of course the obvious, having the money at the right time.

Not trying to be too nosy, maybe a little, but you own some beauties. Reminds me of Bo's red room, and I've always been curious how people can build such impressive collections.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Question, do you know someone at Detonics, or have you built a rapport over the years? How does one manage to be able to snag . . .
    I started collecting the original factory (Seattle) guns shortly after that factory closed down. Over the years I have managed to make friends with of of the original gunsmiths from that factory and trade emails with him regularly. I'm pretty well known among Detonics collectors and when the rare guns come up for sale from private collections I often hear about it via word of mouth.

Gun writer Jerry Ahern was involved in ownership of the 2nd factory, located in Arizona, and I was not impressed with the guns that came out of that factory. They were reasonably uninspired, with little or no additional innovation. The 3rd factory, located in Georgia, produced some technically excellent guns and they rehired some of the original master gunsmiths. Their metalurgy was better than any prior guns and they continued to improve the guns in many subtle ways.

I currently know the president of the Illinois factory, they are producing very few guns, and only in very limited release. Their guns are amazing pieces of technology.

I got interested in Detonics because of their innovation. They developed/hold more patents on the 1911 design than anyone else, other than John M. Browning. They developed the first working stainless steel semi-auto pistols that didn't have galling problems. They still are considered to be the most reliable compact pistols ever made, and all modern compact 1911s are using patents from Detonics. Their patent list is too long to rattle off, but they developed the ramped barrels used by every modern compact and many target grade full size guns, amongst other things that were later adopted by Colt, Kimber, Springfield, etc.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    here ye here ye, i now bring to the table a proclamation...melensdad is hereby FORBIDDEN from posting on the forum... the charge is thus..making me have to buy a new keyboard...the end result from all the drooling over his collection!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    With the money you will save by her not. Going to Harvard, I can't wait to see what you buy. :)::):

All the schools she is looking at (except 1) are elite private schools with tuitions in the $48 to $52K range, housing, books, food, etc add another $12 to $15K. The 1 state school she is considering is an out of state elite state school with very high expenses, that school will only save about $10K versus the most expensive school. So her school choices are all crazy expensive.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    All the schools she is looking at (except 1) are elite private schools with tuitions in the $48 to $52K range, housing, books, food, etc add another $12 to $15K. The 1 state school she is considering is an out of state elite state school with very high expenses, that school will only save about $10K versus the most expensive school. So her school choices are all crazy expensive.

I will buy more cigars to help the cause:rockwoot:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Here is a MK IV gun with genuine dead elephant tusk grips.

1a4.jpg

I'd imagine live elephant tusk grips would be a bit unwieldy... ;)

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Alright aright.... Let's get back on track, no more yapping!

S&W 52

0BB627C2-89E8-432B-802B-64EBA026D200-372-0000005061BA7258.jpg

I got a hold of a 52-2 back when I was in college. I think that was what officially ruined me on any triggers over about 3 pounds. It was an amazing gun, although lacking in utility being chambered in .38 special wadcutter. Being the short sighted 21 year old that I was, I traded it + $100 for a Taurus 1911. Been regretting it ever since then, especially after realizing they routinely go for $700-900.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    It has the finest single action trigger pull I ever felt. Even when compared to a worked 1911!
    I had 8 at one time, I think I'm down to 4 or 5. I don't remember. I love the .38 wadcutter round.

Top Bottom