• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jndturner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2013
    Noblesville, IN
    I am considering trading a couple of current production semi auto handguns. I was wondering how much of a loss I should expect at a LGS. they are both Rugers. I don't have my 50 posted and at my current rate may get there sometime in the next 10 years. I do t want to say anything else on what they are to play by the rules.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Never sell a production gun to a shop unless you want to throw money down the toilet.
    Bingo. Throw that stuff up online. If you don't think INGO classifieds are in the cards there are other venues such as Armslist (if you trust it), or a lot of locations have a Facebook group for the purpose of buying/selling guns FTF. Gunshows would also be a decent bet, but know what you want for your firearm and be prepared to haggle.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I am considering trading a couple of current production semi auto handguns. I was wondering how much of a loss I should expect at a LGS. they are both Rugers. I don't have my 50 posted and at my current rate may get there sometime in the next 10 years. I do t want to say anything else on what they are to play by the rules.

I will just add that even if you DON'T have anything to sell, supporting the INGO forum is a good idea!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep, this is a good venue for moving guns without taking TOO big of a hit. Just dont get too proud of your toys and list them barely below new prices. I see that all the time and typically the guns just sit. Yes, there are tinfoil types that are willing to pay nearly new prices for used guns off the books via private sales, but more often you will find people just wanting to buy a used gun for a price more reasonable than what shops are selling them for used.

The site supporter fee is MUCH cheaper than any loss you would take on a gun selling it to a shop. They need to make money too, thats their whole point of existing.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    All good advice above. The only way I would consider selling to a local shop is if they had something (semi-rare or on an amazing deal) in stock that I wanted, and if they gave more in store-credit than in cash (like 10-20% more).
    Otherwise, you'll do much better online or in person and not at a LGS.

For example, if I had a used stainless SR9 (I don't know the real street price, let's assume it's $425 new) and they only offered $270-280 cash, I wouldn't even entertain that. BUT, if they had a used S&W Model 27 that I wanted, and would give me $315-325+ in store credit, I'd consider it.
    Let's assume I might get $350 (max, based on street price of $425 new) if I sell in person, it might be worth it to lose a few $$ -- considering the headache, reposting, rejecting lowball offers online, etc.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    If you do sell to the gun store, they will give you half of the value that they will sell it for. So if your gun was $500 new, now it has some visible wear on it (drops to $400), expect to only get about $200-$250 in store credit. I've done it too many times, burned my self up. Just started to take advantage of the private market so the sting isn't as bad.

Spend the $20 for site support. It's worth it in the long run.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    You would never get 350 for a gun that's 425 new.... First if its 425 new, they will need to sell it for 350-375 used, and would want to make 20% on the sale as well. So lets say they get 375 from it they would need to have a margin of around 75 dollars for it. Add into that haggling, and they may not want to hold onto it for a while and that 280 dollars doesn't seem all that far off.

Even less money if they have the same gun, new, already on their shelves, because then they have money tied up in something that will keep something else they have from selling.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The last few guns I've sold, I looked at the loss spread over the period of ownership. If I sold a Glock at a $60 loss, but had it/used it for 2.5 years, it doesn't hurt as much to think of it as a "trial fee" of $2/month (in this example -- 30 months with a $60 loss = $2/month).
    Would you pay $2/month to try any random gun off the shelf - to carry it, shoot it, etc. ?? I would.

No, I'm not gonna try to talk you into a new car lease....
    Some people freak out about losing $50-100 bucks on a gun that they've used/carried, etc. It's not that big of a deal!

jndturner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2013
    Noblesville, IN
    I appreciate all of the responses. I have not posted a lot since I've been on the site as I try to only comment when I have a question or do know what I'm talking about. The wife says I spend too much time on here learning. I had forgotten about the site supporter option. I had gone by a LGS to see what I could get. I wasn't to shocked at the offer as they have to make a profit.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I appreciate all of the responses. I have not posted a lot since I've been on the site as I try to only comment when I have a question or do know what I'm talking about. The wife says I spend too much time on here learning. I had forgotten about the site supporter option. I had gone by a LGS to see what I could get. I wasn't to shocked at the offer as they have to make a profit.

Explain to the wife that by learning you are saving money. I am a paying member of several sites, cast iron, motorcycles and here and it has always been money worth paying. The knowledge you get will save you ten fold.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep... pay for the site supporter, or spend 30 minutes making some quality posts and list them here.... Expect a 50% loss from a gunshop.

Not always the case. If you are trading toward something in stock, Bob at PSS will do you better than any other LGS on trades (in some cases 2 or 3x what another shop offered). I have taken a gun or 2 to other shops and compared what they offered to Bob's offer. Bob has always offered me more and a reasonable offer. Also consider you are saving the 7% sales tax on the trade portion, so for example if you get $400 in trade credit, its more like $428 as you do not pay tax on that portion of the deal.

I agree, you would get more on INGO, but if you do want to trade and do it quickly, painlessly and get a fair deal, go see Bob at Plainfield Shooting Supply.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom