Experience with Indiana Firearms Training, USCCA, and keeping a loaded weapon without training?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    If there is a better place to post beginner questions on this forum, please let me know!

Hey guys, I picked up my first handgun yesterday. Glock 19 Gen 5 if curious. I'm dying to use it but haven't been able to go to the range yet.

Anyway, I'm planning to take a training course. I've shot before, but never under stress, never from anywhere other than the default shooting position, and it's been a few years since I've shot a pistol. I figure myself and my girlfriend will feel much more comfortable knowing that I've had at least some training on how to properly use a pistol. Essentially, everything I know has come from extremely limited shooting time, my Glock manual, YouTube, and common sense.

I'm in Muncie and I see there's a few places near me, but one place I was looking at doesn't appear to be catered towards beginners. I stumbled across Indiana Firearms Training, LLC and I'm considering registering for a class in two weeks. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone here has any experience with this business and if you'd recommend them to others. Any likes/dislikes? I look forward to your replies.

Also, I don't want to sound like an idiot here, but I'm going to ask this anyway. Given my limited experience, do you think it is stupid to keep a loaded pistol on my nightstand without a round in the chamber? Obviously having the weapon hot is ideal because without it, you're essentially turning a handgun into a two-handed gun, but I just don't feel comfortable enough to grab it in a state of adrenaline and know for sure I'm not going to negligently discharge a round. Hoping to get to the range later today to ease some of my worry, but I'm not sure how late gun ranges stay open or what's even in my area. If you know of a range in Muncie that's open until dusk, let me know!

One more question, are you guys members of USCCA and would you recommend others to do the same? I'm mainly interested in the insurance, but also in the training videos. My girlfriend is an insurance agent (and I believe I still have my P&C license) and I may speak with her about options they have as well. Has anyone ever had to use it? How did it go? Not that I'm planning to start my membership until I'm actually carrying it, which will probably be a few months.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I just don't feel comfortable enough to grab it in a state of adrenaline and know for sure I'm not going to negligently discharge a round.
    If this is the case, then it might be best to hold off on making your Glock a nightstand gun. Perhaps you'd feel better today with a pistol that has a safety or a heavy double action pull, like a hammer fired gun or revolver. But I'm also guessing you're not looking to go buy another gun to fill the home defense role.

IMHO, if I wasn't confident enough in my gun handling to avoid a negligent discharge just by picking up the gun under stress, then I certainly wouldn't want to add extra manipulations like having to rack the slide and chamber a round.

Learning to keep your finger off the trigger is the key here, and that can be done with repetitions of an unloaded gun in dry fire practice. Once you get some training the fear will likely disappear.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Get yourself and the GF to a class ASAP. Keep the pistol locked away until you are comfortable and SAFE handling it.

Contact your local training operation and ask about private instruction for you and the lady. Let them know that you'd like to schedule sooner than later. They might be able to work in a range session, (or even an indoor dry session,) really soon.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    1 - I cannot comment on that specific training provider but intro or defensive pistol classes generally cover the same things and are a good idea. It's easier to learn basic things the right way so you don't have to fix them later.

2 - It is not difficult to avoid NDing a Glock. Keeping it chambered is fine. Consider keeping it in a drawer by itself, or with a trigger guard clip attached to a lanyard secured to the nightstand, or in a kydex holster. It is possible to induce malfunction through slide manipulation.

Personally my drawer gun is an HK with a round in the chamber, decocked, and the safety on. This is personal preference and because the controls on the gun allow for it. I like DA/SA and do not mind clicking a large, intuitive frame safety off. When carried on my person in a holster, those guns are chambered and decocked with the safety off. I just use the external safety when off body and not in a holster, mostly for added insurance against foreign objects entering the trigger guard. The trigger safety on the Glock offers some limited protection in that regard.

3 - It's personal preference on the insurance. Do your research and read the specifics of the policy. Be aware that, as I understand it, it's common for these policies or agreements to have an out for the company if they, unilaterally and subjectively, decide that what you did was unlawful or indefensible.

You are better served taking a class on Indiana defense law or consuming some online lectures on the topic. Don't just buy a card from some company and assume it'll all be okay.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I would strongly recommend this class or a class like it. He has classes at various other sites but you have to look for them:

Also, highly recommended by many on this site, Revere Riders basic pistol class. Atlanta is not too far a drive for you and there are several classes offered there, just need to watch their calendar.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Also, highly recommended by many on this site, Revere Riders basic pistol class. Atlanta is not too far a drive for you and there are several classes offered there, just need to watch their calendar.

In fact, there's one coming up April 23rd: https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2022-apr-23-atlanta-in/
    $50 if you sign up before April 9th.

These are geared toward the fundamentals and safety first, which sounds like the right place to start (or refresh, even for the experienced - I always learn something). You'll also get to hear about the beginning days of America and how the natural right to keep and bear arms became one of the cornerstones of our country. Super low stress and excellent student/instructor ratios.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In fact, there's one coming up April 23rd: https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2022-apr-23-atlanta-in/

These are geared toward the fundamentals and safety first, which sounds like the right place to start (or refresh, even for the experienced - I always learn something). You'll also get to hear about the beginning days of America and how the natural right to keep and bear arms became one of the cornerstones of our country. Super low stress and excellent student/instructor ratios.
    This. Reveres Riders is a top notch group. Highly recommend them.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If you do decide to attend the RR class, sign up your GF also. They have loaner pistols, so no need to worry about buying anything more to get started. If you and your GF do sign up, let me know and I will personally provide all the ammo you will need for this class ... and anything else you might need ... eyes, ears, pistol, chair, water ... let us know how we can help the two of you get started correctly.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you do decide to attend the RR class, sign up your GF also. They have loaner pistols, so no need to worry about buying anything more to get started. If you and your GF do sign up, let me know and I will personally provide all the ammo you will need for this class ... and anything else you might need ... eyes, ears, pistol, chair, water ... let us know how we can help the two of you get started correctly.
    Remember how I said RR was top notch? Instructors like this are why.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012

Are these adult classes?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Are these adult classes?
    RR basic classes are open to people of all ages. If you're safe on the line, we want to work with you to learn how to safely operate your firearm. If you're not safe, we'll do our best to make you safe. If you continue to be unsafe, you will be removed from the line.

The more advanced RR classes are generally adult only. That being said, if your child attended a basic class and proved themselves to be capable of more advanced training, the Event Director of the advanced class has the discretion to let them attend.

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    One more question, are you guys members of USCCA and would you recommend others to do the same? I'm mainly interested in the insurance, but also in the training videos. My girlfriend is an insurance agent (and I believe I still have my P&C license) and I may speak with her about options they have as well. Has anyone ever had to use it? How did it go? Not that I'm planning to start my membership until I'm actually carrying it, which will probably be a few months.

I'll answer this since no one else has.

USCCA is an option there's also other one's like US Lawshield, CCW Safe, and newer ones like Right to Bear. It really depends on where you live. It depends on the County Attorney if they will charge you regardless if the shooting was justified or not because its politically motivated. You said you live in Muncie which is pretty red however that doesn't mean the county prosecutor won't charge. However you don't spend all your time in Muncie, you might go to another county like Marion which has a democrat County Prosecutor who isn't the most 2A. This is where you need to decide if its worth it for you.

Indiana does have castle doctrine, a "stand your ground" law, no duty to retreat if deadly force is neccessary. IN state code actually says we have immunity if we are protecting self or others with reasonable means. [Ind. Code § 35-41-3-2] however we all know some politicians will jump through hoops to prosecute people even if it was justified (just look at Kyle Rittenhouse).

IMO only some of the carry insurances are worth it. USCCA provides you with a lawyer that is pro 2A however just because they are pro 2A doesn't mean they are a good lawyer. US Lawshield has unlimited amount of coverage. CCW Safe lets you pick a lawyer in their network which in my opinion is much better. Remember whatever you pick make sure that you get the right amount of coverage for you! I personally don't but that could change depending on alot of factors.

one more note, USCCA pays alot of guntubers to run in video ads for them. This doesn't mean they are good (or bad), but don't fall victim to using them because your favorite youtuber recommended them. I have a few friends that use them only because that's the only one they knew of because they put out youtube ads etc.

Last edited:

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    I'll answer this since no one else has.

USCCA is an option there's also other one's like US Lawshield, CCW Safe, and newer ones like Right to Bear. It really depends on where you live. It depends on the County Attorney if they will charge you regardless if the shooting was justified or not because its politically motivated. You said you live in Muncie which is pretty red however that doesn't mean the county prosecutor won't charge. However you don't spend all your time in Muncie, you might go to another county like Marion which has a democrat County Prosecutor who isn't the most 2A. This is where you need to decide if its worth it for you.

Indiana does have castle doctrine, a "stand your ground" law, no duty to retreat if deadly force is neccessary. IN state code actually says we have immunity if we are protecting self or others with reasonable means. [Ind. Code § 35-41-3-2] however we all know some politicians will jump through hoops to prosecute people even if it was justified (just look at Kyle Rittenhouse).

IMO only some of the carry insurances are worth it. USCCA provides you with a lawyer that is pro 2A however just because they are pro 2A doesn't mean they are a good lawyer. US Lawshield has unlimited amount of coverage. CCW Safe lets you pick a lawyer in their network which in my opinion is much better. Remember whatever you pick make sure that you get the right amount of coverage for you! I personally don't but that could change depending on alot of factors.

one more note, USCCA pays alot of guntubers to run in video ads for them. This doesn't mean they are good (or bad), but don't fall victim to using them because your favorite youtuber recommended them. I have a few friends that use them only because that's the only one they knew of because they put out youtube ads etc.
    This post is top shelf!

USCCA is wonderful, I've been a member for years, really like the monthly magazine publications they send that have a lot of great information and cover various topics about self-defense, gear, actual member defense stories, training, etc. The insurance coverage is also great without breaking the bank. They have my highest recommendation.

Top Bottom