Experience with UTG/Leapers AR accessories?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EggFooYoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Got a catalog at a past Indy 1500 show. Anyone got real life input from their products? Looking for a forend vertical grip with flashlight, bipod and reasonable red dot.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Do not waste your money on UTG crap. I'm sure there will be someone come along and say how happy they are with their UTG stuff, but that's just because they won't admit their foolishness.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've got a combo UTG weapon mount laser/flashlight. It's been working fine. I can really wear out the cats in a matter of minutes. I haven't used it on a gun much though.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Before I knew better I bought a UTG quad rail for another rifle, it fit like you would expect a $40 rail system to fit. Not well.

Do yourself a favor and buy your accessories once, check reputable brands and vendors and you'll save more money in the long run and be much more proud of what you're putting it on.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    alright i'll say it...utg sucks ass. Its airsoft crap, don't put it on a gun unless it's a toy.

dswilson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Shelby County
    I tried one of their red dot QD mount combo's on a wasr. I could not get the QD mount to attach to a picatinny rail without wobbling even after maxing the adjustment out. I promptly returned it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    A few of their smaller things are ok and will work but for the most part I think their stuff is not worth the cost or effort. :twocents:

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have one of their bipods on my AR. I really have nothing bad to say about it. I think I paid $24. Harris bipods with similar features were 3x as much. Someone above said this was foolish. I think someone who pays for a name is foolish.....

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've owned a few of thief products. Only one that was decent was an extended AE fathoms rail. At the end of the day it is what you spent: cheap. For a few more $$$ you can, be into Troy or Midwest parts which are orders of magnitude better in fit and finish quality, as well as long term durability.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Ive seen that junk not hold up on 22lr and thats about the only thing i would ever put one on. I would never put any of that junk on a weapon that would possibly be a shtf rifle or home defense gun. Probably 80% of the ar15's i seen at the rally had "barska, leapers, utg, ncstar" on them. I dont get it at all. Why would someone spend $900-1500 on a gun and then put a $40 chinese optic on it? I would keep the irons any day of the week over any of these products. Thats just y opinion. Ive bought that stuff when i was a kid and would get pissed of because i couldnt keep my gun
    Zero'd. It actually cost you more in the long run.

shadow65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    I've used/tested a lot of UTG gear.
    The older rails work but are heavy. Sometimes fit is not good. I had to shim a set I was sent for testing.
    The newer light weight rails are much lighter. Again, they work but are no where near the quality of DD, Troy, M.I. But there is a cost difference.
    I would go with the M.I. for a mid priced rail.

UTG lights and lasers---I have a couple lights I use around the house. The 200 lumen is decent but they burn through batteries quickly for an LED. Lenses are foggy so you don't get a clear light projected.
    Lasers loose zero way to easy. I've not had it go down but can't trust the zero.

Optics again are cheaper but the glass is mediocre at best. I have a big UTG scope that has pitting in the interior lenses. But again, they have held up.
    I did a semi torture test on a 1-4 including freezing it. Still works fine.

I never recommend using UTG on a serious rifle though. Stick with proven brands.

What I have and do use that has never given me issue is UTG iron sights. The flip ups and the A2 rears. Never an issue.
    Dave N

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I picked up one of their 10/22 4 rail systems and it worked great for what it was. It definitely help the resale value. I had a total of $225 in the gun, folding stock and rails and was given a $300 trade value in a LGS.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I've got a SKS receiver mount and Scope. The mount is solid as a rock and the scope holds zero nicely so far after 1000 rounds. For the price, I'm quite happy!
    SKSScope01.jpg

I wasn't aware they were Chinese made; but, I only have $149 in the SKS. It didn't make much sense to spend a fortune on optics.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've got a SKS receiver mount and Scope. The mount is solid as a rock and the scope holds zero nicely so far after 1000 rounds. For the price, I'm quite happy!
    SKSScope01.jpg

A customer of mine had the same mount. we mounted up a scope and he wasted 300ish rds before taking my word for it that the mount was junk. I tapped his reciever for a Quality mount and That is rock solid.

IMO with the price of ammo these days each round that is wasted on mounts like this, or utg red dots is money that could have gone towards buying the right thing the first time

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    A customer of mine had the same mount. we mounted up a scope and he wasted 300ish rds before taking my word for it that the mount was junk. I tapped his reciever for a Quality mount and That is rock solid.

IMO with the price of ammo these days each round that is wasted on mounts like this, or utg red dots is money that could have gone towards buying the right thing the first time

I don't drill on my milsurps, so that is not an option. I'm shooting nice little groups a 100 yards with this set up. The beauty of this set up is that I can go back to the old cover and it remains as originally configured. Once you go drilling on milsurp rifles the value is gone.

Top Bottom