• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I am currently deployed in the middle east and we get the stars and stripes newpaper here for free everyday. This story was on the front cover this morning.
    Experts: Restricting troops

"Experts say it’s because efforts have ignored the most evidence-backed, proven prevention method: making suicide harder by restricting access to lethal means."

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    It is sad that so many must deal with the issues that might lead to suicide. I was a teenager during the Vietnam war era and I saw how a couple friends of the family were affected. I do not agree with restricting the right to bear arms. Wish we could figure out how to deal minimize the tragic impact to many lives.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    That whole idea makes me sick. Our returning veterans, all veterans, should be treated like heroes and not 2nd class citizens. Those that return with issues, let's get them the help, friendship, and support they need. Not a bunch of labels and restrictions.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am currently deployed in the middle east and we get the stars and stripes newpaper here for free everyday. This story was on the front cover this morning.
    Experts: Restricting troops

"Experts say it’s because efforts have ignored the most evidence-backed, proven prevention method: making suicide harder by restricting access to lethal means."

If we are going to remove a constitutional right from people with emotional issues or mental issues, then we best remove all constitutional rights from them as well, such as voting. We have case after case of mentally incapacitated folks casting votes in this last election (actually, someone walking them through it, or actually voting for them).

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If we are going to remove a constitutional right from people with emotional issues or mental issues, then we best remove all constitutional rights from them as well, such as voting. We have case after case of mentally incapacitated folks casting votes in this last election (actually, someone walking them through it, or actually voting for them).

Yes, just over half of those who voted showed signs of mental incapacitation.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I'm sick

This type of thing makes me ill. There is no finite link to gun availability causing an increase in suicide rates. Take away one tool and a person bent on doing themselves harm will find another. In prisons they take away shoe strings for that very reason and prisoners still manage to find ways to end their lives.

Treat the problem. Help the people that help all of us live better lives to live better lives themselves.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    These "experts" are ripping of the govt and delivering bad recommendations.

Suppose this might hav a negative or.positive effect on enlistments?

My son had tons of guns around and chose charcoal in a closed space to take his life. Gonna take.charcoal away from soldiers too?

Fools!

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Just when you think it can't get any more outrageous...........
    But the Gov is consistant. Instead of doing what's right and doing the extra work to allow people to keep their freedoms (in most all areas), it's just easier for them to ban, ban, ban. (lazy pukes..... OK, maybe not lazy....ignorant)
    They ask from our military to possibly give the greatest sacrifice possible and then disrespect them when they need a little help back. (don't even get me started on how the Powers That Be justify huge pensions for themselves and while Vets get squat)
    Oh, BTW, wasn't there something about the "Religious Right" and Ex-Military being a "threat" to the Gov somehow, a few years ago!! Hmmmm...
    Just thinkin aloud.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Someone should tell these idiots that if you take a bottle of Tylenol, it'll be your last headache.

"Lethal means" is a pretty broad statement.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How much of this is a concern over suicide and how much is a concern that most veterans remember that their oath is to uphold and defend the Constitution, not the Kenyan?

Top Bottom