• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If you had a burger (or just a salad) at a steak restaurant then I would up my tip closer to what it would be for a regular entree.

I use 15-20% as my starting point and typically end up closer to 20+.

For the Applebee's experience above I would have left enough cash on the table to cover the drinks and no more and walked out stiffing the restaurant with the uneaten food.

I had to quit going to restaurants with a country farmer friend of mine. He would tip female waitresses $1.00 no matter what the bill was, and $0 to male waiters (since they didn't have a real job and should work with their hands). No matter how much I tried to explain tipping to him, he didn't want to hear it and liked his "system". I got so embarrassed that I now refuse to meet him at a sit down restaurant for a meal.
    So you are the one. My father in law said his dinner buddy stopped calling. He figured you must have died.

Ugly waitresses need tipping too. :)

So is that where the concept of cow tipping came from?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    In perfect honesty, I never tip a generic percentage or even consider using the bill as a gauge. I consider the complexity of the order, the amount of time spent at our table, the level of service compared to that expected of any other professional, and pay them accordingly. More of a dollar per hour thing instead of a percentage.

This usually results in high percentage tips for diner visits, and average percentage rates for more upscale places. I just don't see paying someone $30+ for what amounts to 20 minutes of work, including set-up/tear-down of a table for two.

I've played the tips game, and it was the most money I've ever made in my life, on a $ph basis. Now, I only worked 3 hours per night, so the total wasn't up there, but that's the gig.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Interesting topic.

Breakfast tends to net a cheaper bill, but they're working hard, and topping off 4 oz coffee cups every few minutes is much more work than hitting my glass of water once.

I despise the social mandate to tip. Pay them a good hourly wage and let the tip be a sincere gesture by the customer.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Buddy of mine brought up an interesting topic of conversation after we both finished a meal at a local restaurant. We both typically tip 20% of a bill, both willing to go higher for great service, or lower for bad service (we don’t ding the waitress for problems outside their control…but if I see she/he just BSing and clowning around with her workmates and not refilling a soda after it’s empty for over ten minutes, the tip gets lowered).

So, let’s analyze the issue before I ask a question…

My meal: Burger, fries, soda. Total bill for me: $11.75

His meal: Ribeye steak with couple of sides, a beer and a soda (drinks ordered together, delivered together). His total bill: $36.40

Waitress came to our table six times (menus already on table): Take our drink order, bring our drinks (I noticed all of our drinks came from the same area) and take our food order, bring our food, take our plates and leave checks, take checks, bring back change/receipts. Neither of us received a drink refill...and our water was never refilled even though mine was almost gone at the end of the meal. Most of these waitress visits were less than 10 seconds each to our table.

We each paid a 20% tip for our meal/drink(s)…service was standard, nothing special, waitress wasn’t interested in chatting and moved on each time. Food was good, no issues. So, my total with tip was $14.10. His total was $46.68.

My question: At what point did the “standard” tipping of a waitress (or waiter) come from what WE eat/drink, and not the service?

Had we sat visited solo on our own, it would have been the same # of trips to our respective tables…yet due to the “standard” tipping protocol, she earned $10.22 from my buddy’s table, and from me, $2.35. The only difference is what we ate…the service and number of trips to our tables would have been the same. So, due to the normal 20% tip, she made $7.87 more because my buddy wanted to eat steak instead of hamburger.

Just thought this was interesting once we started discussing and analyzing it. I told my buddy he gets to pay more for his steak to make up for all the morons that don’t tip. He responded he pays more because we’re all sheep and follow the protocols that others have established for us all to live by.

Because most people are weak ass *****es.

Good service = good tip. I have no ceiling on a tip, but the floor is $0.00 -- if you suck in all regards, ya get zilch from Miguel.

Once, I was so unhappy, I made it a point to insult the server by leaving $0.02 -- that made my day.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think that tipping as a percentage of the bill encourages the waiter/waitress to upsell the guests (bar drinks vs. soda, desserts after the meal, etc.). This not only makes the server more money, but also helps the restaurant.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'll start at 15%. Starting at 20 is a joke. If they refill my drink regularly then they get 15%. If they are super friendly and helpful and notice things before I do them they get 20. If my drink sits unfilled they may not get any tip.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    On my birthday we ate at a nice restaurant we have gone to for years. Unexpectedly after we ate, the waitress brought out a piece of cake for me and sang happy birthday, kissed me on the cheek. Yes, she was attractive. Tipped her over 20%.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So, question. Do you guys tip on the pretax bill or after tax bill?

Here's what I do. If the bill is $82.25 (including tax), I round off to 83, double it to 166 and tip $16.60.

This doesn't bother me...obviously, I'm a volunteer.

But as the the OP question, I'm still trying to figure why there's a progressive income tax.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Since we are sharing methods....

If the bill is $82.25 (good grief, that's a lot of food), I move the decimal ($8.20) divide by two ($4.10) add them together (about $12) and then round up or down depending on the service (probably $15 if the service was good. $20 if it was exceptional). I also have a (likely bad) habit of just including the tip on the total amount I hand to the waiter. For $82.25, I would most likely just hand them $100 even and call it good. Let THEM make change and keep their tip. I'm lazy....

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Bgs6_VoCQAAJh7X.jpg

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I go to the same restaurant for breakfast every morning, sit at the same table with the same people and usually have the same waitress. W're often there for an hour and half to two hours. I typically have a meal that is under $10. Often half that. Coffee refills may be as often as 6 cups. My tip is usually over 50%. Sometimes more if the restaurant gets busy and we are keeping other diners from using the table which doesn't happen much. If there are people waiting for tables, we'll bail out and give the waitress a chance to make a few more bucks.

I have a pet peeve which is a tip and return business killer. Example: The wife and I go out to eat, our bill is $35.65, and I give the waitress/waiter a $50 bill. He/she brings me $14 change. You cannot keep my money, even a few cents, without my approval. I have experienced this in a few places including a couple of "trendy" restaurants on the south side. Both times with young waitresses. I'll politely mention it to a manager after I cut the usual tip dramatically. Both of the local joints assured me that was not their policy and offered me gift cards which I refused. Now, if they bring me $35, they'll get the difference back plus additional tip assuming good service. Call me cranky!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I go to the same restaurant for breakfast every morning, sit at the same table with the same people and usually have the same waitress. W're often there for an hour and half to two hours. I typically have a meal that is under $10. Often half that. Coffee refills may be as often as 6 cups. My tip is usually over 50%. Sometimes more if the restaurant gets busy and we are keeping other diners from using the table which doesn't happen much. If there are people waiting for tables, we'll bail out and give the waitress a chance to make a few more bucks.

I have a pet peeve which is a tip and return business killer. Example: The wife and I go out to eat, our bill is $35.65, and I give the waitress/waiter a $50 bill. He/she brings me $14 change. You cannot keep my money, even a few cents, without my approval. I have experienced this in a few places including a couple of "trendy" restaurants on the south side. Both times with young waitresses. I'll politely mention it to a manager after I cut the usual tip dramatically. Both of the local joints assured me that was not their policy and offered me gift cards which I refused. Now, if they bring me $35, they'll get the difference back plus additional tip assuming good service. Call me cranky!

I've had the same thing happen and wasn't please either. Logically, I guess it doesn't matter, but there's a big perception issue there.

I recently was asked an icebreaker question, "If you could ban something, what would it be?"
    I quickly responded, "Man buns, for obvious reasons."

I wish to rescind that answer.

Now, with total sincerity, I would ban tipping in all forms and practices. Or at least the expectation. I might allow European style "round up and leave a few coins", but that's it. Those that have wages that are adjusted for tips, would get a wage on par with others.

• no more double standards
    • no more confusion over when, where and how much to tip
    • no more implied practices
    • no more tip inflation (e.g. 20% is the new 15%)
    • no more comments, "they work so hard!" because they'll get a honest paycheck like the rest of us
    • no more line on the I1040 for unreported tips
    • no more guy in the men's room watching me pee (expect Printcraft)
    • no more mandatory daily gratuity on the cruise ship that amounts to a hidden fee that's revealed only once on board
    • no more signs "tip appreciated"
    • no more shuttle bus drivers begging for tips (why should I tip him and not the pilot when I go to the airport?!)

The benefits:
    • Saves trees because dinner receipts can be smaller
    • Math is hard!
    • Servers don't have to carry around so many pens and change, thus saving thousands of dollars in back strain injuries
    • Several thousand posts per year on INGO can be saved, thus lending more time for arguing about...

It's time to make America great again - I'm sure the Founding Fathers never had to deal with this tipping nonsense.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've had the same thing happen and wasn't please either. Logically, I guess it doesn't matter, but there's a big perception issue there.

I recently was asked an icebreaker question, "If you could ban something, what would it be?"
    I quickly responded, "Man buns, for obvious reasons."

I wish to rescind that answer.

Now, with total sincerity, I would ban tipping in all forms and practices. Or at least the expectation. I might allow European style "round up and leave a few coins", but that's it. Those that have wages that are adjusted for tips, would get a wage on par with others.

• no more double standards
    • no more confusion over when, where and how much to tip
    • no more implied practices
    • no more tip inflation (e.g. 20% is the new 15%)
    • no more comments, "they work so hard!" because they'll get a honest paycheck like the rest of us
    • no more line on the I1040 for unreported tips
    • no more guy in the men's room watching me pee (expect Printcraft)
    • no more mandatory daily gratuity on the cruise ship that amounts to a hidden fee that's revealed only once on board
    • no more signs "tip appreciated"
    • no more shuttle bus drivers begging for tips (why should I tip him and not the pilot when I go to the airport?!)

The benefits:
    • Saves trees because dinner receipts can be smaller
    • Math is hard!
    • Servers don't have to carry around so many pens and change, thus saving thousands of dollars in back strain injuries
    • Several thousand posts per year on INGO can be saved, thus lending more time for arguing about...

It's time to make America great again - I'm sure the Founding Fathers never had to deal with this tipping nonsense.

When I went to Australia, after dining out I started to leave a tip. The girl I was with asked me what I was doing, and when I told her I was tipping she said, "Oh no! The servers make GOOD money. There is no need to tip."

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When going for a sit down breakfast at out favorite place I usually leave $2 per person on the check. 2 people, $4.
    3 people $6 and so on. We know the staff and they know us and the G-kids.
    Lunch is the same way.
    Holidays we double this.

At a steak house or similar we use a different method dependent on service.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side

When the server keeps the coins, well then that is the tip they get. If I give them $50 for a $35.65 bill and they bring me back the $15, I tip them the $15

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    We went out to breakfast at one of the two places we go to all the time.

We are known there to be good tippers so the girls pretty much fight over who gets to wait on us.
    The owner of the restaurant is also very good to us because of the way we treat their employees.

A few months ago we went to breakfast with two couples from our neighborhood. The older couple had invited us out for breakfast as a thank you for helping them with their leaves in the fall. When it came time to pay the older gentleman had already went and paid for the meal.

I asked if I could leave a tip he said he had it taken care of and laid a $20 bill on the table. Knowing our server is a single mom of a couple kids I asked if it was ok to bless her that morning. He said sure what are you thinking.
    I asked if I could add $20 to her tip. He said sure if you want to. The other couple said "Hey we want in on that deal" and threw another twenty in.

The next time we were in the restaurant the girl was crying when she gave us a big hug. She said she wasn't going to be able to meet her bills that month due to expenses she had to pay for the kids and the $60 is what she was short.

Sometimes a tip amount comes from that inner voice and has nothing to do with the amount of your bill.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When the server keeps the coins, well then that is the tip they get. If I give them $50 for a $35.65 bill and they bring me back the $15, I tip them the $15

From their perspective, it would seem rather arbitrary and somewhat random. Do you every let them in on your rule, so to speak?

If the server never is clued in on the reason for no tip, then how are they suppose to figure out what to change?

Top Bottom