• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    This video shows how governments have booby trapped ammo to maim soldiers. As the video states, this is an indiscriminate method of injuring whoever uses the ammo. Interesting, hope not repost

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm not a JAG lawyer type, but I did have to take LOAC (law of armed conflict) training every year when I was active duty USAF. Distinction between military targets and non-combatants was always stressed. This doesn't discriminate, not legal.

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    What happens in 5 years when some of this ammo gets packed into "milsurp" cases and shipped here to buy at a discount. Really makes me a little hesitant about surplus ammo now and slightly sick.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not a JAG lawyer type, but I did have to take LOAC (law of armed conflict) training every year when I was active duty USAF. Distinction between military targets and non-combatants was always stressed. This doesn't discriminate, not legal.

I was a Combat Engineer. I was trained on booby traps, land mines, etc. Last I checked, land mines are pretty indiscriminate. I don't think they are illegal. Not an expert by any stretch, but I don't see much of a difference.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm pretty sure I read several years ago of the IDF "spiking" ammunition that was then allowed to be stolen or sold into the black market, which the PLO/Hamas/Fatah would then try to use in their stolen M-16 variants.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    What happens in 5 years when some of this ammo gets packed into "milsurp" cases and shipped here to buy at a discount. Really makes me a little hesitant about surplus ammo now and slightly sick.

That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this video. The possibility of this happening makes me slightly sick as well.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    i seen a article where a guy had a really nice m1a and got some old german surplus , it totally fubared his gun, the article said the workers in that plant were still in the nazi frame of mind and would spike some of the ammo with c4.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    We spiked so much ammo in Vietnam the VC were having issues with it constantly!

There were unfortunately a few US grunts who picked up AKs that got bit by spiked ammo too.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    A little off subject; but, how'd you like to have been in the room with ole boy cleaning his heavy MG and waving the muzzle over his buddies all sitting in a row? SHEESH!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    i seen a article where a guy had a really nice m1a and got some old german surplus , it totally fubared his gun, the article said the workers in that plant were still in the nazi frame of mind and would spike some of the ammo with c4.

Partly why it is recommended to have any old WW2 guns that you get that have not been fired since x-rayed and inspected... If I wanted to shoot old war era ammo if pay to have it checked out...

Hear in Vietnam they pulled the bullets with pliers... I'd look do tooling marks maybe?

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    surplus is surplus from the factory or protected supply depot, not the battle field.

Yes, but how do you think the spiked ammo gets into the rest of the batch? They don't happen accross a crate in the middle of the road and go "Oi! Jamal! We gotta notha' crate!"

It gets snuck into the secure supplies.

Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I remember reading about us doing that to the VC back in 'nam. Apparently it was a great psychological weapon too; made them suspicious of cheapo chinese ammo.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Yes, but how do you think the spiked ammo gets into the rest of the batch? They don't happen accross a crate in the middle of the road and go "Oi! Jamal! We gotta notha' crate!"

It gets snuck into the secure supplies.

How does that happen? If we have such ready access to their secure ammunition caches, why don't we just destroy all of their ammo. I have a feeling we intercept their supply trucks or something.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There were several ways they did it.

We captured a ton of stuff from the VC, so it was arranged to put it places the VC stole from the ARVN all the time.

And yes SF forces did sneak the stuff into their dumps!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    How does that happen? If we have such ready access to their secure ammunition caches, why don't we just destroy all of their ammo. I have a feeling we intercept their supply trucks or something.

From what I understood it is a pshycological thing... If a stash is destroyed then all well get more... Now if it keeps exploding in people's faces then word gets arou d and people are scared to use their weapons...

Top Bottom