• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I bought an uzi a few months ago. After I took it out for the first time last, I noticed there was an unusual amount of surface rust. I did the obvious and took gun oil and put a film of oil on. Problem solved for now.
    I wanted this as a range toy I can throw around and not have to baby. Are there any coatings or paints outside of cerakote that are cheaper or can be done at home. I'm very capable and a quick learner. I was thinking high temp rattle can, but I'm thinking Ingo collective has better ideas or atleast cool ideas.
    Once again this is a range toy with no true purpose other making my friends and I smile.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    0-20 synthetic like mobile one applied sparingly but often will take care of this issue cheap.

It works on a rem 870 express well that thing can rust will you watch.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    If it's just light surface rust I''d lightly wipe it down with Hoppes #9 and 000 or 0000 steel wool to get the rust off and keep it oiled. I find Rem Wipes works well for wiping down before placing away in the safe, a little easier to use than oil. The only problem with refinishing is you may like it but if you ever go to sell it chances are you'll take a beating unless you find someone that also likes what you did. That doesn't happen often.

If you want to go the rattle can route you may want to look at Lauer DurBlue I haven't tried it yet but it gets decent reviews. https://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1138

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Eezox oil for prevention and cleaning of light surface rust And use bronze wool to remove the rust not steel wool.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I was able to take care of the rust. I was looking at more on the preventative side of things. I didn't want to have to worry about the issue again. Atleast not for a while. I'm on vaca but I will look into a couple of these options when I get back. Thanks everyone.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I was able to take care of the rust. I was looking at more on the preventative side of things. I didn't want to have to worry about the issue again. Atleast not for a while. I'm on vaca but I will look into a couple of these options when I get back. Thanks everyone.

Black dura-bake, spray it on & toss the weapon in the oven (350 degrees for 20 minutes IIRC) and you will have a hard durable finish. I have used it on an Uzi and several HK's, and I am very hapoy with the results

Last edited:

Minifire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2017
    USA
    Thank you guys! I'm constantly looking for corrosion solutions, because miniature mechanisms I deal with are not so simple to dismantle and reassemble for profilactic works. Got some new ideas from this thread.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I have to put a lot of my side projects on hold for a while. (found out were having a baby). I screen shot this thread as a reminder when I get time to make it work. You guys rock, Thanks!

Top Bottom