• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Do you carry an extra mag or two or more when you carry?

How do you carry your spare mags?

What do you consider when you carry a spare? Weather? Where you are going? Open or concealed carry?

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Right now, I stick it in my back pocket. I'm looking for a mag pouch that fits my needs (mainly IWB) and is comfortable. A big reason to carry an extra mag is in case of a malfunction, and really an all around just in case.

TripleL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    The Rockies
    I'll carry a spare mag or two depending on where I'm going. I'll either use my Fobus dual mag paddle or the knife sheath I bought at Meijer for 3 bucks.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I carry two spares in a Kirkpatrick Bikini Double. it is a comfortable pancake style double mag pouch with a retention screw.
    hl_86d.jpg

Last edited:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Desantis Tuck This is as far as I know the only tuckable IWB holster with a place for an extra magazine. I carry my XD40SC with an extra 12 rd magazine in mine.

If I'm carrying my S&W, I carry a moon clip or 2, or an extra pistol. If it's the GP100, then a speed loader or another pistol backup.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    I always a carry an extra mag, the first one to run out of bullets in a gun fight loses!!

front left or back left pocket cause i shoot right handed, but looking for better place to put it without spending a lot of money.

Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    The mag in the leatherman pouch is a good idea!

ravenconcealment.com has IWB mag pouches, they had a booth at the 1500, but when I got to their booth at 10am on Saturday they already had a 1.5 hour wait and I couldn't stay that long.

You can also order off their website, in the email I got when I ordered mine they have a 35 day wait.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    When out by myself I don't always carry spare mags. When out with the family 2 spare 16 rounders in a fobus paddle. Fobus makes great, cheap paddle mag holsters.

A spare should be carried, if for no other reason than for a weapons malfunction. Trying to clear a type 3 malfunction w/o a spare mag is afwul. Ever try it under time constraints? :eek:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am a little unusual in that I often do not carry a spare mag. I have matching mag pouches and when I do have a spare I carry it on my weak side. Just seems like I am always getting it caught on things. After reading some of the responses a spare would be a good idea in case of a failure. Recently I switched to a snub nose revolver for carry and I really enjoy the ligher gun. I do not carry additional ammuniton on my person.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Good thread! You should add a poll to it, with several of the most common answers, including "do not carry spare mags." Always wondered what the most common answers were.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    double mags on weak side. I carry extra mags in TT gunleather double IWB mag holder with footprint about even to my TT gunleather IWB holster - helps to even weight distribution. I might add that I don't ever foresee the need for 25 rounds of .40s&w, but rather possible magazine failure.

Top Bottom