• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    What precautions are people taking with their ccw with regards to the extreme cold temps (-35 wind chill) that's being predicted?
    Are you worried about condensation and that condensation freezing?

Possibly the oil you use getting really thick inhibiting proper slide travel?

Do you switch to IWB carry only to keep it close to your body and warm?

Just curious what, if anything, people are doing.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Good question. What about the ones that get left in cars? Does the extreme cold (or heat for that matter) have any affect on them?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It won't get that cold next to your body unless you are in the process of freezing to death. Many a hunter have sat outside in temps like this with the firearm completely exposed to the elements with no problems.

The worst that could happen is when you bring it into a warm environment, it may create condensation. Dry it off and you will be fine.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    It won't get that cold next to your body unless you are in the process of freezing to death. Many a hunter have sat outside in temps like this with the firearm completely exposed to the elements with no problems.

The worst that could happen is when you bring it into a warm environment, it may create condensation. Dry it off and you will be fine.

+1

Use a higher end lube and you shouldn't have to worry about freezing. I use CLP. It's synthetic and won't realistically freeze. I've heard stories of Hoppes and even Rem Oil setting up in the cold.

Donjr721

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Rockville
    I'm sticking toe heaters all over mine. It was shivering yesterday.

Just kidding, I have noticed my fobus holster gets really tight when it's cold.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I already carry in IWB, so no concerns at all.
    Like gregkl referred to, I have kept shotguns in the trunk to go hunting way too early in the morning and they functioned fine in sub zero temps many times.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Keep Miley Cyrus away from it, then. She'll lick anything.

Ok, that was funny. That girl has gone off the deep end.

Regarding the OP, I don't plan on staying outside in temps so low that my oil would thicken. It is however, a good idea to wipe down your firearms if you take them from extreme cold to a warm area.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Keep in mind, that wind chill, or real feel temperatures are relative to exposed skin. A firearm does not react to wind chill. Sure its going to be cold, but a properly maintained firearm should be fine.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Am I worried about my Glock freezing up? No. Not really.

[video=youtube;dt_mUm75uoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt_mUm75uoI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Now what about the ammo left in a car subjected to the extremes every yr will this effect anything?I keep mine in the car full time out of sight out of mind for you peeping toms. I have the same personal defense loaded in it for about a yr though I did a few months ago give it another cleaning and rotate the mag. I work midnights on the railroad so I will be cursing all of you snug as bugs in your warm beds or buildings these next few days.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The best answer to this question is to go out and test your gear the way you carry it. In my opinion, if you are carrying a gun you should be trained and practicing frequently. You should be practicing in all kinds of conditions. Hot summers, freezing cold winters, mud, dust, clear sunny days, whatever. After you put 10,000 or so rounds down the pipe in all these various conditions, you will have a really good idea how your pistol performs in those conditions. More importantly, you'll have a really good idea how well you perform in all of those conditions (probably the more necessary lesson).

If you have a decent pistol, and you aren't over-lubricating it with cheap lube, it will probably operate just fine in any condition the average person will likely face in Indiana.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do not leave it in the car at below zero. They will screw up if the oil gets stiff. Everything gets stiff below zero....Well, almost everything.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    +1

Use a higher end lube and you shouldn't have to worry about freezing. I use CLP. It's synthetic and won't realistically freeze. I've heard stories of Hoppes and even Rem Oil setting up in the cold.
    I use CLP too. I tried Frog Lube for a minute, but I recently noticed that my guns that were lubed with it got "gummy" while stored in my safe which is in a cool room in our house. I don't know if anyone else has had that issue, but no more Frog Lube for me. The guns that were lubed with CLP had no such issues.

Top Bottom