• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    Okay. Make fun of my possible OCD. Couldn't wait till "later".

233826.jpg

Anything dry ought to not change much in cold temperatures. Silicone would be good too but the last time I used some it was gross to clean up later.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    I've seen a lot of hunters get themselves into cold-weather hangups with semiauto and pump shotguns. IMO, 95 percent of the time is over-oiling.
    My general rule has been to lube as minimally possible with something rated for the worst cold you might be in, minus another 10 degrees. I've actually hunted at -20 with zero problems using a small amount of G-96.
    IME, a very light lubrication with something like G96 or FP10 gets a guy by just fine with his carry gun(s).

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've switched to one or another type of "engine assembly lube/grease."
    Stuff works great in hot or cold weather.
    I've been using either Permatex engine assembly lube (for light oiling) or Lubriplate engine assembly grease for heavy lube.

No problems,easy to clean... I don't use much "oil" at all anymore.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive always run the Shooters Choice red grease and Remoil. Zero issues last 30 yrs. Hunted in cold weather many times when gung ho and stupid, er I mean young.

Killed a few critters too. Not enough to continue w such nonsense.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Like fancy stuff? Ever try Braycote? It is a perfluorinated polyether rated for spaceflight use. This stuff is slicker than unicorn snot.

https://www.amazon.com/Braycote-601-EF-2-Ounce/dp/B07HLS9KTQ

You could try Krytox, but I've always been leary of the PTFE residues.

These "what lube do you use" threads kill me.:laugh6:

If you get deeply into the guns you own and have any mad scientist in you at all the search for the 1 lube fits all situations is never ending.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    BreakFree CLP is my go to for all my firearms and household duties. Never ever had a problem in cold or heat.For heavier applications I use Lucas Gun Grease or Permatex on occasion.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    If you get deeply into the guns you own and have any mad scientist in you at all the search for the 1 lube fits all situations is never ending.

Oh yeah, I get it. I've tried several things and found what works satisfactorily enough for me...usually.

Tongue-in-cheek, I was somewhat serious. If somebody wants the end-all bragging rights for what they use on their firearms, Braycote is it. You can be King of the Lubers if you're willing to pay for it. A little goes a long way too!

It is used on titanium, stainless steel and other materials in space-borne applications to prevent galling. Non-toxic. It does migrate a little but it doesn't evaporate. Clean off the carbon and smear just a little, tiny dab on everything and you're good to go.

Major drawback is if you get it on gripping surfaces, it can be difficult to get rid of.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh yeah, I get it. I've tried several things and found what works satisfactorily enough for me...usually.

Tongue-in-cheek, I was somewhat serious. If somebody wants the end-all bragging rights for what they use on their firearms, Braycote is it. You can be King of the Lubers if you're willing to pay for it. A little goes a long way too!

It is used on titanium, stainless steel and other materials in space-borne applications to prevent galling. Non-toxic. It does migrate a little but it doesn't evaporate. Clean off the carbon and smear just a little, tiny dab on everything and you're good to go.

Major drawback is if you get it on gripping surfaces, it can be difficult to get rid of.

Well, for $800 I will stay with my personal blend concocted over years of non-scientific research.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE

Quoted from the end of the article: "You wanna run your guns wet? Run ’em wet. Prefer them dry? Be my guest. Gun guys (and gals) are generally all about personal freedoms, so it makes me scratch my head to see such a group get all up in each others’ grilles regarding their personal choices in guns and gun products."

Pretty much sums up my view at this point. Nice article, informative.

I do enjoy seeing this topic come up and I guess it probably will as long as we enjoy owning firearms.

For some reason I just find the "which lube do you choose" question funny.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I use Ballistol its supposed to be good down to -30. I've never had a problem with it. I work outside all year round.

Ballistol is an older IMO better CLP.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom