• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I've shot over 1000 yds a couple times and that's how I caught the bug. Hearing a .338 punch through steel at 1300 yds is one of those things that could put a smile on anyone's face. I want to just get out but it's not something I can do with work right now.

I know its a learned thing, wind reading. I just want to remove as many variables as I can before I get started and have a plan of action to follow moving forward. This is far more than just a shooting event to me, I want to make my own loads, travel, and meet new people.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I've shot over 1000 yds a couple times and that's how I caught the bug. Hearing a .338 punch through steel at 1300 yds is one of those things that could put a smile on anyone's face. I want to just get out but it's not something I can do with work right now.

I know its a learned thing, wind reading. I just want to remove as many variables as I can before I get started and have a plan of action to follow moving forward. This is far more than just a shooting event to me, I want to make my own loads, travel, and meet new people.

Early in my quest for proficiency at 1000, I was told that practice for wind reading could be done with a .22 rimfire, shooting at 200 yards. I spent a lot of time in prone position on windy days learning to read the wind with an iron sighted .22 rimfire. It did definately help both with the PALMA rifle, as well as other calibers. The barrel eating 6.5 X 284 is like cheating. Big B.C. numbers on the bullet with flat trajectory gives an edge. The flight time for the 7.62 X 51 is a touch over 1.7 seconds, the flight time with the 6.5 X 284 is under 1.1 seconds. That's a lot less time for the wind to push the bullet off course. Say you missed a wind change that would have cost you a loose nine or even an 8 with the 7.62, most of the time you would still catch the outside of the 10 ring with the 6.5 x 284.

The advantage of the 6.5 x 284 comes at significant cost. The price of a top grade barrel blank, turned, chambered and fitted to your rifle doubles the cost of shooting. You used to be able to reload the ammo for $1.00 per round, and I just budgeted $1.00 of barrel depreciation every time I pulled the trigger. The 6.5 x .06 was no cheaper, you have to pay to play.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I haven't purchased a rifle barrel in quite awhile, but of the 25 match barrels that I did purchase, contour and length had more of an effect on price than did caliber.
    Having had some success with the 6.5/284, I am a fanboy of the caliber. I went through 4 Krieger barrels and I can't think of any that I changed at less than 1200 rounds. Shot Sierra 142s exclusively. I never found the caliber to be any more difficult to load for than .308, which is the only other caliber that I loaded for long range.
    If I was building an F Class rifle today, or within the next year, I don't have any doubt that it would be 6.5/284.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I haven't purchased a rifle barrel in quite awhile, but of the 25 match barrels that I did purchase, contour and length had more of an effect on price than did caliber.
    Having had some success with the 6.5/284, I am a fanboy of the caliber. I went through 4 Krieger barrels and I can't think of any that I changed at less than 1200 rounds. Shot Sierra 142s exclusively. I never found the caliber to be any more difficult to load for than .308, which is the only other caliber that I loaded for long range.
    If I was building an F Class rifle today, or within the next year, I don't have any doubt that it would be 6.5/284.

1200 rounds is pretty impressive. I quit using Kriegers after having words with Jack Krieger over one that would not shoot. I gave it to Bob W, and he couldn't make it shoot either. I started using HART blanks and designed my barrel contour to allow me to cut it off, re tread and rechamber it at about 800. I might have been premature, but it usually corresponded to the end of the season, so I went ahead anyway. After setting the barrel back, I would get about 600 to 700 more out of it.

You still have your tube gun?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Does the 26 Nosler pose serious competition for the 6.5/284? 130gr Accubond is pushing 3400fps MV. The same bullet from Nosler in 6.5-284 is 2900fps.

Barrel burner? Almost certainly? Huge increase in recoil? Given.

But can one afford to ignore 500fps with a ultra-high BC 6.5 projectile? 142 gr SMKs, Berger VLDs, etc could make a very interesting option.

Thoughts?

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Does the 26 Nosler pose serious competition for the 6.5/284? 130gr Accubond is pushing 3400fps MV. The same bullet from Nosler in 6.5-284 is 2900fps.

Barrel burner? Almost certainly? Huge increase in recoil? Given.

But can one afford to ignore 500fps with a ultra-high BC 6.5 projectile? 142 gr SMKs, Berger VLDs, etc could make a very interesting option.

Thoughts?

I'm not familiar with the 26 Nosler, but the numbers are impressive. Whether or not they are impressive enough for me to ignore the "cons" of the cartridge, I don't know without further research.

Top Bottom