• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Took me all season to acquire the pieces to make it an F-Class gun but here it is! I hope to shake it down before the end of the year but it's going to be tight.

M1AF-Class_zpsb4e34eac.jpg

cue the banana.. :banana:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Take the front sight off for F-Class. I know you can't see it in the scope, but your brain knows it is there. Trust me on this.

I have been thinking about doing the same thing with an M1-A.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    What's the scope? A 6-24 PST?

4-16 PST courtesy our own A&A Optics. I spent a fair amount of time talking with Alan about the application. I went with the Bassett mount that did not have the built in 20 MOA because that is what was available. A 6-24 scope doesn't have enough elevation to make 1,000 yds with the .308 WIN and the size of the target doesn't warrant that magnification. The 4-16 PST offers lots of elevation and plenty of magnification, plus POI doesn't change when you change the magnification. And, as has been noted before, the Vortex glass is so bright and crisp for the price range, it allowed me to afford this setup for my NM M1-A.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    4-16 PST courtesy our own A&A Optics. I spent a fair amount of time talking with Alan about the application. I went with the Bassett mount that did not have the built in 20 MOA because that is what was available. A 6-24 scope doesn't have enough elevation to make 1,000 yds with the .308 WIN and the size of the target doesn't warrant that magnification. The 4-16 PST offers lots of elevation and plenty of magnification, plus POI doesn't change when you change the magnification. And, as has been noted before, the Vortex glass is so bright and crisp for the price range, it allowed me to afford this setup for my NM M1-A.

Looked kind of long (before the sunshade) for a 4-16 so I assumed it was a 6-24, good to know about the 4-16.

I'm looking at this scope, the 6-24, Mark 4s, and a couple others for a semi auto 308 as well but have the same feelings that a 308 really doesn't need a 24 power scope for 1000 but it's kind of nice to have. Guess I just like the EBR2 reticle, but I've never had a chance to shoot that far so I don't know what I like :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Very nice! Where did you get your cheek pad/riser? I could use something similar for my MAS 49/56. Did a little checking on ebay, but didn't see anything that tall.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I'm looking at this scope, the 6-24, Mark 4s, and a couple others for a semi auto 308 as well but have the same feelings that a 308 really doesn't need a 24 power scope for 1000 but it's kind of nice to have. Guess I just like the EBR2 reticle, but I've never had a chance to shoot that far so I don't know what I like :)[/QUOTE]

i have a mark 4 long range 4.5x14 on my ar10 built for distance and works very well at 1000-1200 yards. Plus is if 1000 is your furthest goal have a scope with lower magnification it is easier to leave the magnification maxed out and get on target faster at closer distances. I can put mine on 14 and shoot out to 650 of off the mil dots.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Looked kind of long (before the sunshade) for a 4-16 so I assumed it was a 6-24, good to know about the 4-16.

I'm looking at this scope, the 6-24, Mark 4s, and a couple others for a semi auto 308 as well but have the same feelings that a 308 really doesn't need a 24 power scope for 1000 but it's kind of nice to have. Guess I just like the EBR2 reticle, but I've never had a chance to shoot that far so I don't know what I like :)

Man, you just can't beat the Vortex for the money!

Very nice. Would love a m14. May have to be my next rifle.

You won't be disappointed sir.

Very nice! Where did you get your cheek pad/riser? I could use something similar for my MAS 49/56. Did a little checking on ebay, but didn't see anything that tall.

Cheek Piece, Adjustable, Comb Piece

I did A LOT of research on this part because I didn't want to permanently alter the base firearm; I wanted to be able to take it out across the course with little work. This riser turned out much better than I was expecting. I had concerns that it would be too soft & not provide a consistent cheek weld. This one works really well.

Nice rifle John, but as you know I always have a sweet spot in my heart for the M1a. I wish I still had my SuperMatch.

Next time I see you, let me tell you the story of the CMP Auction M1-D I once owned..

Nice Basset:yesway: Standard, Loaded, or National Match?

This gun started life as a Loaded. I sent it back to Springfield & had it upgraded to National Match back in 1998. I have the SS barrel covered in Gaffer's tape.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    For those playing at home, I want to point out a couple of things:

1. I expect to be the only gas gun on the line.
    2. I don't expect to be in contention for a prize (see item #1)
    3. I'LL BE SHOOTING AT ONE THOUSAND YARDS!!!!!

(Additional point: This same rifle has made it into the black at 1,000 before so this time it will be more about the scope (last time I did it with irons -- honest!))

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for the link John! I think I'm going to go ahead and order it. Looks better than any of the others I've found so far, and I like that it comes with the various size inserts.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Gun now has a 100 yd zero. I am very happy I got the PST for the illuminated reticle; makes centering on the black x ring much easier.

If the temperature drops below 68* F I'll have to use the EBR-1 grid for holdover at 1,000 yds.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I was lucky enough to get out to Atterbury last Saturday, shooting from the 1,000 yard line. I put some 70 rounds downrange with this new configuration, 60 for record. After some calculations based on range conditions I dialed in 34 minutes of elevation and my first shot was about 12" from center X. The wind was mild but the mirage was pretty active. Despite that I was able to maintain a 24" group size which I'm very pleased with. The Vortex Viper scope is a quality piece, bright & sharp image.

IMG_0901_zps962011dc.jpg

Inside the circle are 14 targets that measure 72"x72"
    d44fc6a5-ec31-4f7a-adf3-a7b4567656f5_zps91e18ace.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom