• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I have a 97 2wd F150 and the front left brake caliper locks up every now and then. It doesn't totally lock up but you can still feel that the brakes are applied. I'm thinking maybe a return brake line partially collapsed on the inside. Any other ideas or should I just replace the line, bleed it and hope that fixed it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I assume its the factory caliper. If the caliper was bad wouldn't it stay locked or at least act up every time I drove it? This only happens about once a week

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The piston in the caliper may be worn so much that it doesn't glide back into the retracted position. it gets "cocked" from straight.

There is no reason that it should not get lucky once in awhile and find its way in, but you have a 16 year old part there. Do both sides at the same time when replacing them.

Collin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    I drive a 2001 F-150 Long Bed work truck. I've had issues with the brakes too. Turns out, the rotors were slightly rusting on the inside. This caused the same effect under high speed braking, one side would grab hard and also chewed up my pads. Replaced some brake components and no more problems.

Good luck!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the dust cups have failed from age they allow water/dirt and assorted crap in around the piston. If it gets rusty or full of the road crap it will not (as already stated) freely return to retraced position. This starts out as an occasional issue but it will escalate to a full time night mare.
    If the calipers are original and have a lot miles (1997) they are more than likely due for replacement. This is a normal wear part.
    I had to R&R the front calipers on my service truck (2005) 2 years ago.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I replaced the brakeline and the caliper and it appears to working properly, thanks for the advise

If you left the original rotors on there and did not check them to see if they are warped your problems arent over yet and you will soon see in the form of wandering during braking or shimmy in the frontend.

Just some friendly ADVICE. ;)

FYI Its common smart practice to replace both calipers at the same time and brake pads too. Have rotors turned true or replace them when replacing pads....anything else is jsut false economy not to mention potentially setting yourself up for a very dangerous situation. Ever had a vehicle dive to one direction when hitting the brakes?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you left the original rotors on there and did not check them to see if they are warped your problems arent over yet and you will soon see in the form of wandering during braking or shimmy in the frontend.

Just some friendly ADVICE. ;)

FYI Its common smart practice to replace both calipers at the same time and brake pads too. Have rotors turned true or replace them when replacing pads....anything else is jsut false economy not to mention potentially setting yourself up for a very dangerous situation. Ever had a vehicle dive to one direction when hitting the brakes?

I know that folks have some serious budget issues these days. We have to watch ourselves. That said, the rest is merely my humble opinion.

My point is never skimp on the brakes. They are by and far the most important system on any vehicle. If the truck is worth keeping then make it safe. If one caliper is failing the other one can not be far behind.

I never do any brake work and put the old pads back on unless they are almost new.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I know that folks have some serious budget issues these days. We have to watch ourselves. That said, the rest is merely my humble opinion.

My point is never skimp on the brakes. They are by and far the most important system on any vehicle. If the truck is worth keeping then make it safe. If one caliper is failing the other one can not be far behind.

I never do any brake work and put the old pads back on unless they are almost new.
    Absolutely, Money is tight with alot of people. Agreed, brakes are not where you want to skimp on costs. Its about as logical as having leftover bolts/nuts on the steering system and NOT finding out where they go and putting them there BEFORE the vehicle is driven a foot!
    I also never reuse used pads if I have to disassemble a caliper or drum setup. I do both sides at the same time, if one is opened up then so is the other. There is a reason why they only sell pads and shoes in a set for both sides.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My personnel truck is approaching 100K. It has had 2 complete sets of pads since new. Rotors are original and never had to be turned as we inspect them with every tire rotation (spring/fall) so we stay on top of them. We recently put the truck up on stands and did a complete service to it. Plugs/serpentine belt/oil change/front&rear diff service and a "Complete" brake job. 4 new rotors and all new ceramic pads. Bled the brakes completely until fluid was fresh at the bleeders. Not everyone does things to this level but I will not have to give the brakes a second though for at least 30K.
    I remember way back when....fix what I had to so the thing would get me there. No knock on the OP.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Most likely caliper... Had same issue on 95 F150 I had that pulled a boat that was entirely too big for the truck... Also if in dirty nasty conditions take the time to change out fluid if it is discolored or dirty as it can over time build up nasty layer of residue on inside of caliper piston walls that will cause the calipers to hang up.

It is a Ford after all... Be sure to take a good look at your wheel bearings while you're in there... If you've had enough wear and heat on a wheel that the caliper is casing issues it would be a real good time to drop the $30 on new wheel bearings...

Top Bottom