• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I would say somewhere in the $550-$650 range. Be very careful though since it is a Century firearm. Make sure you check the bolt-gap and all the internals. I would save up a little more coin and get an older PTR with a serial number in the #A range. I've owned two of those and they are really good tack-drivers. I had problems with the KF though not eating surplus ammo because it was one of the newer ones. PTR may have the bugs worked out though. Good luck in whatever you purchase though! 7.62x51s are a blast to shoot:ingo:

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    FA-91's are not made by Century, they are made by Federal Arms, and I would stay away from it personally. The FA-91's with the integral top rail do not have a very good reputation. I own a cast CETME built by Century, and it's a hell of a rifle. Absolutely 0 issues with it in probably over 1000 rounds. I would however stay away from the stamped verisons of Centurys CETME. The cast, and stamped versions are easily identified by the rear sight. Cast versions are integral while the stamped versions are tack welded on the corners. The stamped versions from what I have heard are hit or miss. I paid $555 for my cast CETME about 4 years ago, and it was either never fired, or fired very, very little.

picture.php

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    FA-91's are not made by Century, they are made by Federal Arms, and I would stay away from it personally. The FA-91's with the integral top rail do not have a very good reputation.

I've owned two, one I still have that's got 2,000+ rounds thru it. Never a single malfunction in either of them and I don't clean my weapons regularly unless I'm shooting corrosive ammo.

They were both very accurate as well.

Like anything, especially the cetmes, you have to know your serial number ranges and buy accordingly.

PTR is now making a GI model that has properly cut flutes so it will shoot the factory german ammo it was designed for.

Unfortunately the jackwagons at PTR are refusing to admit the error they made with the AW series ptr-91's and that alone makes me want to tell them to go fly a kite.

Those douche bags need to fix their faulty products and own up to it.

Accuracy is no excuse for reliability IMO.

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    Decent ones are selling for about $550 around here.

Lot's of positives about them. Cheap mags. Easy scope installation. Generally good reliability (though some rifles have had problems). And the front sights are generally well aligned with the rear sights, unlike many of the similar century cetme builds.

Like the century builds, you need to make sure the headspace is within tolerances as they were known to vary greatly. If not, replacing the rollers will be in order. Another common problem is that the handle gets harder to cock as multiple rounds are shot. It has to do with the interface between the aluminum and steel parts. And the stock feel does take some getting used to.

If you can shoot it before buying and don't find any of the above issues, then you've probably have a decent one.

excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My century rifle has the front sight frame welded on at a slight cant. Not so much that you can see it. But at 100 yards it is 4" left with all the windage taken up on the rear sight.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've got a stamped Cetme that was a Century build and it has had a problem yet. Before shooting it I checked the bolt head and it wasn't ground. I might need new rollers someday but that'll happen.

Top Bottom