Price of sale
    Signature of both parties
    Sound good enough?

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    No problem! Come back and ask any questions you still have if not answered there.
    Welcome to INGO!

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I have never made one and won't buy from anyone who does in a private sale. However, its just preference to me. If it makes you feel better, go for it.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I don't. When I'm selling I usually ask in the add to see Indiana ID and LTCH, but I dont normally ask for it when we meet. I assume that since they were willing to do the sale with that stipulation, that they had it. I have yet to feel the need to insult someone and ask if they were legal, but I would if I felt it was necessary, then again I would probably just not do the sale if I was uncomfortable.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    I don't. When I'm selling I usually ask in the add to see Indiana ID and LTCH, but I dont normally ask for it when we meet. I assume that since they were willing to do the sale with that stipulation, that they had it. I have yet to feel the need to insult someone and ask if they were legal, but I would if I felt it was necessary, then again I would probably just not do the sale if I was uncomfortable.

Just my $0.02, but you might want to rethink that and actually look at the ID and LTCH, and make sure they belong together too. That way, if something does go all wonky you can truthfully say in court that you made a good faith effort to check the legality of the sale.

Once again, just my $0.02, conduct your sales however you want.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

I'm the opposite. Documents are too easily forged to be of any value to a person not trained in the art of detecting them so I ask them if they are legal. One guy was "on his way to Illionois" after buying my pistol so I did look at his DL to make sure it was from Indiana.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'm the opposite. Documents are too easily forged to be of any value to a person not trained in the art of detecting them so I ask them if they are legal. One guy was "on his way to Illionois" after buying my pistol so I did look at his DL to make sure it was from Indiana.

Exactly. I simply ask everyone if they are a proper person. One time the deal was already done and asked him after the fact, he said he was, I said I was just doing my part to follow the spirit of the law

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yes and no. If it is a Curio or Relic (more than 50 years old). I have to have either the sellers name and address or a copy of his C&R license to enter the information in my "Bound Book". If it is a sale or purchase of a non Curio or Relic Gun, I am not required to do anything.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Yes and no. If it is a Curio or Relic (more than 50 years old). I have to have either the sellers name and address or a copy of his C&R license to enter the information in my "Bound Book". If it is a sale or purchase of a non Curio or Relic Gun, I am not required to do anything.

You might want to clarify that the rules are different for you since you have an FFL.

I.A.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Logansport, IN
    If the gun I am selling was originally purchased through a recorded transaction (i.e. a gun store), I will typically whip up a quick bill of sale that basically says I <insert your name here> sell <whatever gun and serial #> to <insert buyers name here> on <date> (Both parties sign at the bottom).

I know it's not required but if the gun is used in a crime down the road, I don't want any reason for the police to be looking at me because of it. This way i can say look, i sold it to this person on this date.. Here is the bill of sale. Sounds a whole lot better than uhh.. I sold it to some guy... Can't remember when... I think he was white, medium build... Brown hair.. :dunno:

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    If the gun I am selling was originally purchased through a recorded transaction (i.e. a gun store), I will typically whip up a quick bill of sale that basically says I <insert your name here> sell <whatever gun and serial #> to <insert buyers name here> on <date> (Both parties sign at the bottom).

I know it's not required but if the gun is used in a crime down the road, I don't want any reason for the police to be looking at me because of it. This way i can say look, i sold it to this person on this date.. Here is the bill of sale. Sounds a whole lot better than uhh.. I sold it to some guy... Can't remember when... I think he was white, medium build... Brown hair.. :dunno:

i agee 100%. it is a better way to do business.
    if you do not do this, i will try to feel sorry for you on the day police officer shows up to your door to ask you about a murder weapon they found, and the most intelligent thing you can say is uhhhhhhh? I sold it to someone.
    and its good for both parties involved. i can show i sold the weapon, and he can show he did not steal the weapon.
    better to be safe than sorry.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Actually if you were the original buyer they will still come ask you about it no matter what kind of paper trail you have. How would they know you have a bill of sale?

Then you just say, "I sold it legally on [this date]"

Top Bottom