Factory Diamond S&W target grips K frame 1944 Refinish?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Few weeks ago I purchased a smith 64 police trade in and the grips were just the beat out wood originals so I "needed" to upgrade to some target wood grips. Well I came across a pair on ebay that were diamond factory grips that had been lightly sanded. They have the football cut out and when I got them I was very pleased with the condition. On the inside of one grip there is a faint 5-44 right under the screw hole I assume that they are may of 1944. Now the question is all they need is finish coated, what to use? BLO, varnish or laquer or nothing at all? They are very desirable grips I have found and I don't want to %$#@ them up. Any suggestions?
    Oh and the best part is I only have 44.00 in them.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Are they stripped of all finish ? If not soak in acetone to strip . Dry and lightly-lightly sand w/500 grit or steel wool 4-0 grade . mask off the checkering and the medallions .Apply several very light coats of birchwood casey stock finish reducing each dry application with steel wool. After all the pores in the wood are filled IF you wart a high shine rub again with steel wool and rub out with auto car polish compound ,for a dull finish just steel wool lightly ,Then remove the masking tape, Then take a new tooth brush with a drop of stock finish in the Brussels and scrub the **** out of the checkering ,A very very lite application of finish .Too much oil will fill in the checkering. Polish the medallions with a Q-tip and some car polishing compound and you should have a new
    looking set of grips . REmember LITE coats of finish don't hurry it let it dry.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    They are stripped and seem to be done pretty nice, The person that did it did not want to mess em up either. I have used laquer clear on a mosin m44 stock and it came out amazing. Many coats, wet sand and buff like glass. What are the benefits of using birchwood casey over the laquer finish?

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    the oil finish penetrates into the wood ,lacquer sets on top of the wood. Use whatever you prefer they are yours

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom