• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Can someone point me to the correct model number for the OEM mags for my Springer RO Operator in 9mm? I'm happy with the stock Metalform mags and I'd like to keep using them.

I tried ordering the mags listed as "Springfield style" from Brownells. They matched the specs on the factory mags and were a visual match to the Springfield website. Upon arrival, they were unusable due to several critical differences: rounds are held to the rear of the mag instead of the front, the feed ramp doesn't match the ramp on the barrel, and the contour of the feed lips doesn't push past the mag catch, requiring I press the mag release to insert the mag. The manual for the pistol doesn't have part data for 9mm, either.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Have you tried to call Springfield to ask about purchasing them direct from them? If you bought the gun new there should be a paper order form in the box. Although I'm not sure they are on the list.

I suggest calling them.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ok. Do you know if the rounds seat differently with those? My biggest confusion is that in the factory mags, there is a rail along the back of the magazine that indexes the rounds to the front of the magazine.

OEM mag is on the left.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B11obBZNS0FGdFI0STI3TEU4Vnc/view?usp=drivesdk
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B11obBZNS0FGS0FwQm1EUEJoUEE/view?usp=drivesdk

The "Springfield style" magazine with integrated front ramp will seat the cartridges to the rear. There should be a crease of sorts at the front of the magazine body to keep the cartridges in place. Your mag on the right in the picture is the Springfield/Letham style. Metalform makes a magazine such as this as well as the newer Chip McCormick 9xp magazine. I have found these magazines to work very well and use the 9xp in my self defense guns.

Do do a little research on the the Springfield style 9mm 1911 magazine. They are also referred to as Rob Letham designed magazines. Dillon had an article on them in the Blue Press about a year ago. https://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/December_2015_Issue.pdf

Metalform makes a lot of OEM magazines. The traditional style with the back spacers are identical to Kimber branded magazines. I bet Springfield OEM are also metalform. The Springfield style which are different are highly regarded. I have found the new Wilson ETM with metal followers and the CM 9xp both to be excellent magazines as well. Stick with one of those 4 or the OEM branded if they work for you.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    If the feed ramp style is interchangeable and superior I'm willing to give it a go. Is there some sort of fitting process to get that style of mag to insert properly without having to press the mag release?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My 9mm Range officer came with two factory magazines. They were 9 rounds and they did not have the spacer rail up the back. One never had any problems, and to this day, has never malfunctioned. The other one malfunctioned EVERY time. Springfield kindly exchanged the defective one with the new style 9 round magazine with the spacer rail in back. It has never failed. Both function fine. I took advantage of the coupon in the pistol box and ordered the extra mags, that had the rail in the rear.

For gun games I use the 10 round Metalform magazines which have proven to be reliable.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If the feed ramp style is interchangeable and superior I'm willing to give it a go. Is there some sort of fitting process to get that style of mag to insert properly without having to press the mag release?

There was no reason why either style magazine will not insert properly. Some magazines need to be loaded with cartridges in order to not catch during insertion.

Top Bottom