• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I have looked at a alot of bull barrels for my ruger 10/22 rifle. I was wondering if anybody has a RUGER FACTORY BULL BARREL and how is their accuracy, green mountain and others have a price of 200 dollars , ruger has a bull barrel for 100 dollars . I am wondering how their accuracy matches up.And if your happy with the ruger bull barrel.Thanks for the feedback guys,am on the fence on which one to buy.

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I bought a Ruger 10/22 Target back when they were pretty new to the markert.
    This is the model with hammer forged bbl with Laminate stock. (1996ish?)
    I may have some targets in my ring binder, but I am thinking a little over an inch at 50 yards.
    My WhiteFace Mountain Sporter contour consistently shoots smaller groups.
    The WF mtn isn't marked what the chamber is, but there is a warning that "unfired rounds may not always eject".
    I would guess that the Ruger bbls have improved since..

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I bought a Ruger 10/22 Target back when they were pretty new to the markert.
    This is the model with hammer forged bbl with Laminate stock. (1996ish?)
    I may have some targets in my ring binder, but I am thinking a little over an inch at 50 yards.
    My WhiteFace Mountain Sporter contour consistently shoots smaller groups.
    The WF mtn isn't marked what the chamber is, but there is a warning that "unfired rounds may not always eject".
    I would guess that the Ruger bbls have improved since..
    I had the same vintage Target 10/22 and got the same results as you did at 50 yards. I was thinking a match chamber was indicated also.
    Sold the rifle instead.
    Because, I also have a Ruger 77/22 (with a match chamber) that will shoot half inch groups at 50 yards with of all things, Winchester Wildcats.
    Who would have thunk it?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Have a brown laminate heavytarget factory setup. It shoots fine but needed a little tweaking to get to that point.

I sent it off and the face of the receiver to the barrel was trued and setback and made correct. (I could put two playing cards between the barrel and action on one side )

I shoot dime sized group at 50. i also find the the wildcat ammo I had shot very well for very cheap ammo that I had several bricks of.

I remember picking up the ruger when GALYANS went under for what seemed to be one very good price. i think they had the grey laminate stocks a week before but I waited till the final markdowns and the grey were gone. I think the brown is kind of ugly.

I think the work cost as much as the rifle, total price was what they seem to sell for now, that barrel is good and on some rifles might be perfect from the factory. My receiver was a little off. If I remember correctly Clark’s customs changed me 175 for match chamber trued action trigger work plus he did a small bit of extras (extractor I think) and I paid shipping.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a GPC full .920 bbl and walnut stock.....am looking for a deal on n older 1022. Prices have gone silly.
    Silly enough i may go with another mfg.
    Too bad I cant find an old AMT

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have looked at a alot of bull barrels for my ruger 10/22 rifle. I was wondering if anybody has a RUGER FACTORY BULL BARREL and how is their accuracy, green mountain and others have a price of 200 dollars , ruger has a bull barrel for 100 dollars . I am wondering how their accuracy matches up.And if your happy with the ruger bull barrel.Thanks for the feedback guys,am on the fence on which one to buy.
    I'm not sure if Ruger uses a Match chamber in any rimfire. They might use a Bentz chamber in Precision and Target models (I'm not sure). So find out what chamber the $100 barrel has if possible.

Really it depends on what accuracy you're looking for.

Bentz chamber is shorter than standard 10-22 but not as short as a real Match chamber.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had a standard non bull factory barrel. When the rifle was stock, it shot okay. Probably what one would expect from a 10/22.

Then I reworked the stock and added a Feddersen barrel. That made it shoot very good groups. It's under $200.

Then I replaced the trigger group that Brimstone messed up with a Kidd group and now it makes me giddy shooting it. I'm sure in the hands of a real shooter(unlike myself) you could shoot ragged holes at 50 yards all day long. And that is with standard Mini-Mags or Aguila ammo. I don't bother with the high end match stuff...at least not yet. :)

10-22.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How ammo dependent are these bull barrels?

One rifle's 1" group with Eley could be 2" with Thunderbolts, correct? Or not?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I had a standard non bull factory barrel. When the rifle was stock, it shot okay. Probably what one would expect from a 10/22.

Then I reworked the stock and added a Feddersen barrel. That made it shoot very good groups. It's under $200.

Then I replaced the trigger group that Brimstone messed up with a Kidd group and now it makes me giddy shooting it. I'm sure in the hands of a real shooter(unlike myself) you could shoot ragged holes at 50 yards all day long. And that is with standard Mini-Mags or Aguila ammo. I don't bother with the high end match stuff...at least not yet. :)

View attachment 171223
    That's a good looking rifle. :thumbsup:

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    I too, bought a 10/22T with the CHF target barrel and brown laminate stock, back in the mid 90's.

I picked up every brand of ammo that I could find at the time to check the accuracy. Like most any .22, it like a couple of brands better that everything else. High end, it like Eley. Cheaper stuff it shot CCI standard velocity stuff good.

Off of a bipod, it was great fun to plink my 1-1/2" wide by 5" tall steel, human silhouette targets at 200 yards. At one time, I had the math figured out on that, as far as how it compared to a full size silhouette, at range.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The main thing is find the right ammunition for your barrel. I went through over 20 brands, and types of ammunition until I found one my rifle loved. ELEY force. Around 0.6" 10 shot groups at 50yd. My rifle is stock thin barrel 10/22 from the early 90's.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had a 67 SPC that did .75 all day long at 50 yards. Orig owner shot the heck out of it. Bazillion rounds down the factory tube. CCI Blazer what I ran. Only change I made was a Volq hammer.

Best factory 1022 Ive had. Got a reg 70 SP and it shot like crap w everything.

Walnut standards w Overton stocks, one OK, one beyond horrible. Rework of the latter made it come around to normal 1022 mediocrity.

Couple birch standards and an Int'l.....same crap.

Had a DSP from 90s and it shot OK but would shift group.

I got tired of the hassle. Got a CZ bolt rig and a Buckmark target pistol.
    My .22rf needs have been met.

My ol lady has a TRS 25 on her anniv model black/ grey standard 1022. She loves it and it actually does OK. But w reddot it aint gonna get tested for match ammo fondness.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Also if your rifle will cycle the slower FPS loads you don’t break the sound barrier twice. Once leaving the barrel once slowing back down. I think my kimber target rifle likes about anything in the 1080 FPS solid point lead bullets the best.

Faster rounds may be needed to cycle the rifle correctly or eject the case properly. Thus one reason the bolt is normally capable of better accuracy

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have had no improvements shooting CCi standard V vs high V. But my testing was at 25 and 50 yards only .

Must say, SK rifle match has been the better of the few match ammos ive tried in my 1022 target build and cz455.

Dont have any now. Did find some SK standard. Have not tried it. Have some Fiocchi match too.

My old PMC and Aguila match was not good in my last 2 rigs.

Im not competing, so am quite content w CCI Blazer. It has done decent in several rigs. Had an Anschutz 184 that loved the Australian 42 gr Max Winchester. So i got 2 bricks of it left ...and it has shot horribly in everything else LOL.

Top Bottom