• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE>> is't that all you hear from OBAMA?
    you can change anything you want. you'll still have the cooks out there.. it's a sick thing, but nearly unpreventable.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE>> is't that all you hear from OBAMA?
    you can change anything you want. you'll still have the cooks out there.. it's a sick thing, but nearly unpreventable.

There are crooks (I assume not "cooks" as you have it) in Switzerland and Israel. They have guns, too, and probably more guns per capita. Same goes for Canada. How come the US has more violence, more mass shootings? They do a better job in those three countries. What are we doing wrong?

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    hey do a better job in those three countries. What are we doing wrong?

America seems to have a problem with violence. Not guns, not knives, but violence in general.

However, it is MUCH lower than most of the rest of the world.
    Homicide-map-big.jpg

UNODC releases global homicide data
    This is 2004 data, so a tad old.

My point is two-fold;
    #1 - we are not nearly as bad as it could be. The media makes it seem MUCH worse, and we live relatively sheltered lives here in the US.

#2 - we need to address the root of the issue - why are we so comfortable with violence as a solution? Why is there so much hate? Why can't folks get the help and attention they want and need through more constructive means?

The solutions will be tough, that's for sure. Much tougher than passing some noneffective laws.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    America seems to have a problem with violence. Not guns, not knives, but violence in general.

Homicide-map-big.jpg

This is 2004 data, so a tad old.

My point is two-fold;
    #1 - we are not nearly as bad as it could be. The media makes it seem MUCH worse, and we live relatively sheltered lives here in the US.

#2 - we need to address the root of the issue - why are we so comfortable with violence as a solution? Why is there so much hate? Why can't folks get the help and attention they want and need through more constructive means?

The solutions will be tough, that's for sure. Much tougher than passing some noneffective laws.

You mean we are less aggressive than 3rd world countries? Be proud. Kind of a low bar is it not? I see this crap every day. I am surrounded by human aggression every day, 99% of which never makes it to the news. I ENVY other countries where their fellow citizens DON"T kill, maim, injure, steal nearly as much as we do. No, I am not saying I want to leave the USA but it must be nice for LEO's of these countries actually have time to deal with standard of living issues. They have time to interact with their fellow citizens. They don't carry off duty because they don't need to and it never even occurs to them to do so. I envy their ability to "turn it off" when the shift is over. We will never be that way. We are a violent society getting worse. Gun control won't/hasn't worked because we LOVE to kill each other and will continue to do so. In this area, we suck.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This article is worth reading: "Eleven facts about guns and mass shootings in the United States"

Eleven facts about guns and mass shootings in the United States

What can we do to become less violent as a country? Perhaps to change this "culture of violence"?

If you want to mess with the minds of the anti gun leftwing freaks, just reply to them when they suggest more gun control that what society really needs is to be a police state. That Americans are too free and we need to euthanize the the mentally ill (too many leftwingers are that way).

Watch them go nuts.....

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This article is worth reading: "Eleven facts about guns and mass shootings in the United States"

Eleven facts about guns and mass shootings in the United States

What can we do to become less violent as a country? Perhaps to change this "culture of violence"?

A good starting point would be the truth. This article clearly states that more guns bring more homicide. Is this the reason why there hasn't been a murder in Chicago since 1971?

RolanNRA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    Hammond
    Of course banning any particular type of gun is not going to do a thing. The problem to a great degree is hollywood and all manner of degenerate shows that a few "chosen ones" profit from. look at all the "fantasy movies" that are out it generally speaks to weak minded people. Also since it may almost be a crime to mention God and morality what do you expect? Also news media can air the incident but quickly drop the subject because this certainly inspires copy-cats

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    You mean we are less aggressive than 3rd world countries? Be proud. Kind of a low bar is it not? I see this crap every day. I am surrounded by human aggression every day, 99% of which never makes it to the news. I ENVY other countries where their fellow citizens DON"T kill, maim, injure, steal nearly as much as we do. No, I am not saying I want to leave the USA but it must be nice for LEO's of these countries actually have time to deal with standard of living issues. They have time to interact with their fellow citizens. They don't carry off duty because they don't need to and it never even occurs to them to do so. I envy their ability to "turn it off" when the shift is over. We will never be that way. We are a violent society getting worse. Gun control won't/hasn't worked because we LOVE to kill each other and will continue to do so. In this area, we suck.

Interesting that this thread went in this direction.

The basic problem is that most people nowadays have zero respect for others.

Older generations were taught to have respect for others. Today's generation? Not so much.

Look no further than the "dorm room" thread right here on INGO. Because the kid was in the right, half the people on INGO thought it was perfectly fine that he was an abusive punk.

After all, he was "right". That's the attitude of today's generation. When they feel they're "right", they feel entitled to disrespect and abuse others.

We're just reaping what we've sown with the 1990's self-esteem movement.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

Older generations were taught to have respect for others. Today's generation? Not so much.

Look no further than the "dorm room" thread right here on INGO. Because the kid was in the right, half the people on INGO thought it was perfectly fine that he was an abusive punk.

After all, he was "right". That's the attitude of today's generation. When they feel they're "right", they feel entitled to disrespect and abuse others.

Well Said :yesway:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We have raised an entire generation of narcissistic, sociopathic little pricks. We have taught them that they deserve everything they want right now. There are no consequences for their actions, other than a time out. There is no God, no Devil, no Heaven, no Hell. You are the center of the universe. Take this mindset, add a little depression, drug abuse, failure, etc. and then be amazed and baffled as to "why'd he do it?".

Now before the resident atheists get their panties in bunch, I'm not blaming you, or saying that religion is the answer to our problems. I don't have a clue what the answer is. We just have to do better.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis

Homicide-map-big.jpg

I find it somewhat curious that China's color on the map would indicate it to have one of the lowest homicide rates in the world! Perhaps its because many of the victims there are reported as "suicides".

USMC1811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Anyone ever check the statistics from the FBI showing the number of deaths by automobiles verses death caused by the use of a Gun? I just did a quick search, it appears in 2011 there were 32,367 motor vehicle deaths and in 2010, there were 8, 775 deaths by the use of a gun. I could not find how many automobile deaths were children, or how many were caused by drunk drivers. In the News, in China a man slashed 22 elementary children with a knife. I think the overall point is Life is dangerous. Anything can be a weapon when a person is intent in doing harm and no law will protect us from the unexpected. We can only be prepared to defend. Gun owners should be responsible enough to keep their guns locked up. I had a person ask me about buying a gun. My advise was to buy a gun safe or cabinet first, then get a License to carry, save your money and attend a gun training class and then buy a quality weapon after you know how to use it. And keep reminding yourself, when you holster your weapon, you leave your temper buried as deep in your mind as possible. Always think responsibly and keep your ego in check.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg

Given that crime rates have been dropping for several decades steadily, that clearly is patently false. There was a peak of the violent crime wave in the late 80's and then we see it trend downward since then

US-Total-Violent-Crime-1960-2009.png

homicides-1900-20062.jpg

There are a lot of things that can have lead to the increase in violence after the 1950's. The rise in the narcotics gangs and the battle for turf. The destabilizing of poor families thanks to governmental social programs (inner city urban communities, primarily black and latinio, and rural communities were hit especially hard by this, ending with family structure itself breaking down). Etc.

One thing I've seen proposed for the decline was the legalization of abortion in the 70's. The argument being that the unwanted children that would have been born (generally into poverty) would have ended up disproportionately going into crime. With those people not existing, the crime rates (per capita) fall. Some might consider that distasteful, especially given a lot of people's feelings on abortion (though I think the reasoning makes sense).

Anyway, crime rates today are much lower than they have been for quite some time, and still falling. Personally, I think the more progress we make in ending the so-called War on Drugs will cause that number to plummet even further, as the profit motive for the drug cartels and gangs goes away, ending the endless violence associated with it. Plus, a lot of the more petty crimes will go away as well, as a lot of them are associated with drug abusers (stealing stuff to pay for drugs), since we can shift more of our resources to treatment instead of enforcement.

The one thing that will not change will be these mass shooting incidents. That's because these are being perpetrated not by criminals, out for some sort of monetary gain. These crimes are being perpetrated by mentally ill individuals. Every single one of these guys, that the media parades around as the latest reason to ban guns, all had a history of erratic behavior (if not a defined history of mental illness). Until we get a handle on the mental health situation, these types of things will not stop (see what happened in China today, where thank goodness no one was killed).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Today's generation doesn't care because they think they have no future, and are not responsible for creating one.

They are lost because they allow themselves to be.

Nothing is ever their fault, they are only victims.

Welfare mindset.

Top Bottom