• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I shot skeet, or at least lobbed little pieces of lead at some clay for the first time this past May at a buddies house.
    I had two very experienced guys teaching and correcting every move I made and it sure helped a ton..

I came away feeling pretty good about myself, and that about all you can hope for but without the teachers I would have been complete crap..:)

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Are you using a tactical with 18.5 inch barrel? These are clearly the best.;)

LOL,, I used my 20" 590 for a little bit, not as bad as you might think.. Although shooting the other guys high end, purpose built guns was like night and day, almost made me look good,:D

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    It definitely helps to have an experienced shooter coach you. Once you break a few you begin to believe that it is possible to hit those things.

I shot years ago at Ft. Harrison's range. Anybody here remember that from the "old days?".

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It will definitely help improve your overall aim.. and not just with shotguns.
    I totally disagree!! There's nothing that messes up your rifle aim more than coming off of shooting clays on the fly and vice verse!
    It's a whole different type of shooting...you're not "aiming" you're leading. TOTALLY different and totally will muck with your off hand rifle aiming if you're switching back and forth even with a stretch of days inbetween.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    i have always wanted to do that, im going to have to try it when i get home.....

Why wait? Surely they have skeet ranges over there. We used to shoot skeet while on ship. Every Marine base I was on had ranges for off time shooting with cheap prices and awsome rental guns. Whats it called now base services or something like that. I know you guys are working most of time but a little play is always good. What would it take to get some clays and a thrower or 2 over there.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I totally disagree!! There's nothing that messes up your rifle aim more than coming off of shooting clays on the fly and vice verse!
    It's a whole different type of shooting...you're not "aiming" you're leading. TOTALLY different and totally will muck with your off hand rifle aiming if you're switching back and forth even with a stretch of days inbetween.

I think MACHINEGUN meant overall skills. Most of his targets have always been running away from him so he confuses aiming with leading. :ar15:

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    I love skeet and trap equally. They gave me a lot of confidence in my ability to hit a moving target and good instructors make all the difference in how quickly you pick it up. If you haven't tried it....get out there!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    i tried doin the whole skeet shooting thing...i couldnt get it for the life of me

If you are near a club, go shoot on a league.

Marion County Fish and Game has some great people.

You learn a lot quicker if you have some one who knows what they are doing to help you rather than trying to reinvent the wheel for your self over and over.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I love skeet shooting. Did it in Boy Scouts my last two years in the mid 90's. Last time was at Philmont with a nice O/U. 5 of 5. Haven't been since. Figure why mess with a good ending record like that, ya know? :D

I'd love to go again. I just don't have a shotgun for it. Kinda hard to skeet shoot with an SKS even bumpfiring! LOL

Top Bottom