• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I'm finally just about there for building my FAL... Is there anyone out there that has a receiver wrench and barrel vise I can either borrow or rent?

Or is there a FAL 'smith out there that can time the barrel for me? I'm pretty sure I can handle picking the locking shoulder (of course if you already have the right one, great!).

As soon as I get a chance to knock the old receiver stub off of mine, it's finally boogie ti.e SO excited! :rockwoot:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    boozoo there is a man named Geoff Corn from the Oakland City area that builds/repairs M14/M1A type rifles. I found his contact info over on the M14 Firing Line forum.
    I don't know if he does FAL work or not. I have never talked to the man, but I need to sometime soon about some M1A work and also to check about an FAL build.
    Where did you buy your receiver and 922r parts? At this point all I have is an Argentine kit with the original barrel.
    The FAL is new to me so I am kind of lost. Well real lost actually.
    If you want Geoff Corn's contact info let me know and I'll try to get it to you. If I remember correctly he is only in the shop certain days/hours.
    I don't know anyone who has a receiver wrench ect and can't justify buying anything like that for one build, even though the tools could be sold later.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Thats my problem, too... I only ever intend to build this one.

I bought my receiver from "Parsi" on Gunbroker.com It's a bit stiff on price, but the old Imbels were the only ones I didn't see anyone *****ing about. If you get one from him, he doesn't communicate worth a damn, but he does ship quick if you follow his instructions.

I had heard some good things about Coonan, too:
    Coonan - FAL Receivers

If you're lost, I bought this DVD a while back and thought it was pretty thorough. Well.. just enough to get you in trouble LOL
    FN FAL AGI Armorers Course, DVD - DVD602-D S Arms

Compliance parts - haven't done it yet. I have to run down the list and see what I want to swap out. I assume you know about DSA... and then this guy's always got something worth getting: GunThings.com, Military Small Arms Parts Headquarters!  FNFAL, L1A1, 1919, AK, Galil
    I got my kit and a SUIT scope off of him. Real good one to order from if he has something you want.

Might as well pass me the info - it can't hurt to ask.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'll see about looking up G. Corn's info will get it to you if I can. Will do that here in just a little while.
    I didn't know about "Parsi" or Gunthings. I would rather have an Imbel.
    DSA and Coonan quality/problems seem to crop up from time to time.
    Do you know of "gunplumber" of Arizona Response Systems? He's a master gunsmith, and if I have this right he has an FAL build dvd that is supposed to be top notch.
    I often see him on AR15.com, usually in the armory forum.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I'd love to do something with my partial kit! I was debating if buying a receiver was a smart move or selling the kit was smarter.... Hopefully someone comes outta the woodwork!

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The fact is I've not yet found a receiver wrench for sale. I've come up with a lot of dead ends, places that used to have them like AGI and others. Maybe I just haven't looked in the right places? It seems to me that the FAL building hayday is winding down.
    I can't remember where on the net, but a saw a pictorial of a build. He used a modified circular sanding disc to remove metal from the shoulder of the barrel until the barrel would index properly when hand tight, then a big, modified open end wrench was used for a barrel wrench for torque to final index. He did have a proper receiver wrench.
    Gauge pins could be found and bought, but I would only use them that one time probably.

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I sent all of mine to Triple H Accurizing in Azusa, California. All you need to send him is your complete upper. They do the rest. I saw his ad in a copy of shotgun news.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Hello, I need some help also, I have an Century R1A1, inch version that has a uni-brow receiver. It feeds ok as far as I can tell, I had some feeding issues, but I think they were mag related. but the barrel needs timed. It shoots a foot to the left at 50 yards, and the rear site is adjusted all the way to the right. I knew it needed some work before I bought it, but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

cducati

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    You guys need to check out "The Falfiles"

I agree.
    Years ago, I was in the same boat. Met up with members on falfiles in Louisville.
    They showed me all the tricks and I ended up with 3 nice FALs from 3 parts kits, and Imbel receivers.
    All it cost me was gas to Louisville and lunch for all of us, which they reluctantly accepted. Good people.

These things are not hard to build, but head spacing is odd, as you may need a different locking shoulder and some go/no-go gauges.

Check this out....
    Building the FAL at Home, Assembly
    Old info on parts etc, but assembly is the same.

I have a crude parkerizing set up and sand blaster that someone could use if so inclined.
    I'll need to dig up my camp stove!

I REALLY regret selling my FALs. Please don't make my mistake!

They are not very accurate, but accurate enough.

I love them!
    :rockwoot:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'm still working on this from time to time but I keep letting other gun projects get in the way of this.
    I bought a receiver wrench and barrel vice from a guy on the FAL Files. I believe his username is ratas calientas.
    I have the Gunplumber FAL build book and DVD.
    I still need gauge pins.
    I'm thinking about using the Coonan Argie specific upper receivers.
    I have a pile of Argie kits and need to get something going here. I believe I can manage this myself. I'm a 30+ year mechanic with a shop and lots of tools, and have tinkered with guns for decades.
    I have some Israeli wood furniture sets incoming, both HB and LB, and can't wait to get my hands on it.
    I still need some buttplates, handguard spacers and other assorted parts.
    If I can get this wrapped up I'll have some tools and other stuff to loan if you guys are still interested in tackling this.

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I still have some parts sitting around, It would be cool to maybe have a build party somewhere down the road. Even with the correct tools, I dont know if I wanna try to time my barrel solo the first time!

Top Bottom