• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    My question is mostly for us younger gun enthusiasts.
    How many people have close family members that are very, or just somewhat, against guns in near or around them.
    I recently finished college and moved back home to save some money until the economy improves in my industry. My mother flips out when she even sees a picture of a gun on a web page i am looking at or hears the word gun come out of my mouth. She yells at me to get it out of her sight, even if its unintentional.

Mostly ranting and not asking for advice per-se, but i am interested to know what others family members think of their love of guns. :dunno:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Tough place, but at least she is not your wife. Save up fast, be respectful, and move out on your own as fast as you can.

zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    My wife hates them, but she knows she has to live with it. I'm teaching our kids to shoot now too, and she is getting more used to it, but will always be a little hesitant around them.

As for your situation, remember that you moved in to save some money. So it may be in your best interest at this point to just not discuss guns, or use the internet to search for guns when your mom is around. It sounds like you expect this to be a short term thing, so maybe respecting her wishes for this period of time is worthwhile. Just some thoughts.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Tough place, but at least she is not your wife. Save up fast, be respectful, and move out on your own as fast as you can.

Exactly what he said!

My mother has NEVER been fond of the idea that I carry, and I'm 50 years old! She HAS mellowed some over the years and doesn't say much now.

She SAYS she's o.k. with people owning/carrying firearms, but I can tell she's uncomfortable about it.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My brother's wife was adamantly against guns when she first married my brother, but after being around me and a brother in law of ours (retired Army) she is not quite as militantly against them. So much so that she doesn't mind my brother having 2 of his own handguns (and he's in the market for a EBR and a shotgun). The great thing is she is really a good woman who isn't blind to new ideas.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Another endorsement for that^.
    Her house = her rules.
    When your name is on the mortgage, you can do as much gun surfing/buying/shooting/talking as you'd like.
    Get after it.:yesway:

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    My family isn't too thrilled if they realize that I'm carrying, but they rarely notice when I am. I babysit my nephews every once in a while, and carry my gun comes with me (usually in my laptop bag that doesn't leave my sight). I get similar reactions from my mom if I'm browsing INGO at her house, :rolleyes: but she gets over it. She works in the county court and has been invited to hit the range with sheriff deputies, but kindly refuses. I have been able to convince everyone but my mom and sister to hold my carry gun (unloaded, of course). I think it's time for a family range day :D

I'm in a similar situation as you when it comes to the job searching except that I was laid off and couldn't afford classes. But, I was fortunate enough to get my own place. Get out when you can, and good luck with the job search.

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    i am as respectful as possible. luckily i dont actually live in the house, but on the property. i dont try to force it on her, we discussed it once and her opinion made no logical sense because she agreed with everything i was saying. its as simple as she just doesnt like guns. youre all right, i have to get over it and save money as quickly as i can.

i was just curious as to who else was or has been in a situation like mine.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    My step-mom, who used to illegally carry in Chicago twenty years ago when she was a waitress, she does not care for guns. I was out of the country for a while and she was not pleased with having my guns stored in her attic. She's one of those people that is a bit hypocritical but not disrespectful. My Dad doesn't care. He never owned guns, but wants me to take him to the range. My step-brother and his wife, who are from the Gold Coast, are amazed that I have several guns, and are interested in going to the range, but they are not disrespectful on it. They do think that Indiana and the "gun culture" in general are a bit hillbilly. I conceded, that yes, that is true, just like many people think that Harvard educated Chicago people are snobbish and Chicago has a bit of elitism going on.

They are cool though. They are going to the range in a few weeks with me. I will give them a real education.

Anyways, the best way to deal with hostility is to take the antagonizers to the range or avoid the discussion all together.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The best thing anyone could hope for in that situation is that you engage them in reasonable conversation.
    You may not change their mind. Most likely you will not change their mind.

But I think if mom doubts my level of responsibility. My choice of interest. My awareness of things dangerous. My level of intellect and good judgment. After I completed a university education. With everything that goes along with gun ownership, I would try to make her aware of how her own son is capable of doing the right thing with such an important responsibility.

Then I'd ask her nicely to make me some soup. ;)

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    The best thing anyone could hope for in that situation is that you engage them in reasonable conversation.
    You may not change their mind. Most likely you will not change their mind.

But I think if mom doubts my level of responsibility. My choice of interest. My awareness of things dangerous. My level of intellect and good judgment. After I completed a university education. With everything that goes along with gun ownership, I would try to make her aware of how her own son is capable of doing the right thing with such an important responsibility.

Then I'd ask her nicely to make me some soup. ;)

shes got a chili-making boyfriend. close enough?

she accepts my choice and doesnt tell me im a bad person because i have. and after we have discussed it she is confident that i am responsible and trusts me to do the safe thing. i think what bothers her the most is the fact that i may actually have to use my firearm to defend myself or the people around me. but shes okay with me being interested in being a LEO.

something that makes it difficult for me to accept is that my dad is ex-military, and she kinda forced her opinions on him and he changed.....but im getting him back into it :ar15::ar15::ar15:

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    have father and 2 sister inlaws antigun...politely inviyed them to shoot one day, started off with 22 marlin then progressed to bull barreled bipoded ar, end results...about ran thru half case of ammo, smiles all around and have 3 new shooters in the world

Trevorreplys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    My family was antigun.. well My mother still is. But my father I went to the range and I showed him how to fire a Ar now he owns 2 handguns and a Sks.. Needless to say he enjoyed himself and the second amendment :ar15::patriot:

joshrio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My family was very anti-gun until I started shooting and got my sister, brother, and dad into it. My mother cannot be convinced, but that's only because of a family member that had a self inflicted gun shot. That is something you cannot argue and it's best to reassure uneasy person on guns and the safety precautions that are taken.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    i am as respectful as possible. luckily i dont actually live in the house, but on the property. i dont try to force it on her, we discussed it once and her opinion made no logical sense because she agreed with everything i was saying. its as simple as she just doesnt like guns. youre all right, i have to get over it and save money as quickly as i can.

i was just curious as to who else was or has been in a situation like mine.

I have been in a *somewhat* similar situation.
    Fortunately I grew up in a household that owned guns and appreciated them, but my parents were very skeptical when I got my LTCH at 18, and started carrying daily. They thought my motivation was to "show how tough I was."
    Thankfully, after time passed and I didn't shoot anyone or threaten anyone, they have come to understand my position. My dad now carries frequently, and my mom wants to get her LTCH.

Altogether a happy family story.:D
    Hopefully yours will go as smoothly!

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    My mom and sister are pretty anti-gun, but not in a political or thoughtful way. They just seem to have a mix of fear/disdain and general ignorance. They mostly complain to each other when it comes up that I own a bunch of guns and enjoy shooting.
    They know better than to bring it up with me.

My wife was impartial a few years ago (before we met) but now loves going to the range whenever we can! I taught her the safety rules and basic marksmanship; she is a better shot than me; I must need to follow more of my own advice.
    Watching the wife shoot large caliber handguns is AWESOME.

I've taught several family members and friends that were either afraid or curious/impartial and got them to have a great time. (even one bedwetting liberal!)

Now I've got my mother-in-law asking me to take her shooting for her birthday!

I must be doing something right.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It would be funny if you have to resort to hiding that you were on INGO... as if you were surfing adult sites on the internet and getting busted by your mom. lol

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I know this situation more than I would like. When I first started getting interested in everything firearm related my whole family was against it. I now have my Mother interested in shooting my gun herself(SHOCKING).
    The rest of my family...well, they still don't like that I am starting to carry. I don't care. It's my life and I am trying to better it. They'll thank me if there is ever a time I have to use it to save myself, my daughter or one of them.

I think once you start looking into training and whatnot....it will ease your Mothers mind to know you are really interested in knowing how to Safely Carry a firearm.

RM

Top Bottom