• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Am I reading that right? The kid hit the cop with his car after the officer ordered him to stop, and his parents are complaining about the officer shooting an "innocent person?"

Snipped from other articles:

"Michael Sussman says a lab hired by Danroy Henry Jr.'s family found an alcohol level of 0.128 percent in blood taken during Henry's autopsy...Henry's parents still aren't convinced their son was drunk."

"Police say he sped away in his car and hit two officers. The family denies that."

Tests confirm alcohol in DJ Henry's system

.128? If the kid had hit an killed someone, would his parents have believed it then?

"The father of a college football player fatally shot by police investigating a disturbance outside a suburban New York bar says [the] officer put himself in harm's way by stepping in front of his son's car."

Henry's dad: Cop may have put self in harm's way

That officer should have never stepped in front of the kid's car to try and prevent him from driving with a .128 BAL. I'm sure the other officer who was hit jumped out in front of him for no reason, too.

"...The Henry family is already seeking $120 million in damages from Pleasantville and Mount Pleasant, accusing their police departments of gross negligence."

Charges against Danroy Henry Jr.'s teammates dismissed; they'll proceed with civil suit vs. Westchester DA, local cops | The Journal News | LoHud.com

Ah. There it is.

Not saying this wasn't a tragedy. Not saying that there definitely wasn't a better way the officers could have handled it. Not saying that the police are always right. I wasn't there. All I can do is look at the fact that the kid was drunk, both parties were wielding deadly weapons (vehicle vs. sidearm) two cops were hit by the car, and the kid was shot.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    i dont agree on him getting an award if this is still under a federal investigation. maybe after its over if he's cleared then fine. but come on, it just screams of an ethics violation

I'll grant you that. But a grand jury already "failed to indict" the officer:

"Grand jurors on Monday found "there was no reasonable cause to vote an indictment," Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore said in a statement."

The investigation is ongoing because the parents filed additional complaints:

"The presentation of the evidence and the facts was absolutely ineffective, based on what we know to be the truth, given our own investigation," Danroy Henry Sr. told CNN's American Morning

Danroy 'D.J.' Henry: Grand Jury Refuses to Indict Officer in Student Killing | The Root

So according to the parents, the evidence they provided the grand jury was wrong, the BAL confirmed by the independent lab they hired was wrong...

I've had my own run ins where the "system" has been completely in the wrong (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/144488-can_someone_please_explain_this.htm, Post 11, for example.) But I try to see both sides.

Here is the part about the case that starts to sway me in the direction of the family:

"Parks also said that authorities pulled Henry out of the car, placed him in handcuffs and left him facedown on the ground for 15 to 20 minutes, not realizing that he had been shot. The attorney for Hess acknowledges the error..."

But to be fair, the officers did have a lot on their plate at the moment:

Pace student shooting video | Danroy "DJ" Henry

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I agree with you, LegatoRedrivers but, Ranger also has a point. It would have been far more PC to wait until all of the dust settled.

I know of PDs that have an annual award ceremony every May. No matter how great of a thing anyone did, they are going to wait until May to get the award. There is really no rush :twocents:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    i dont agree on him getting an award if this is still under a federal investigation. maybe after its over if he's cleared then fine. but come on, it just screams of an ethics violation

I agree. There is a time and a place for everything, and this should be handled with some sensitivity as there was loss of life involved. :twocents:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    A young man was killed and his parents are in pain. I feel for the parents.
    They are feeling like this is a slap in the face and disrespect for their loss. The award should have waited. In the time of mourning sympathy and respect goes a long way. Again the award should have waited.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    No one ever wants to get a medal, especially after they receive it.

I don't know anyone who has a fond memory of how they earned their citation.

I don't know where to come down on this. I don't think that just being drunk while driving should be illegal, but the police should be allowed to defend themselves as well, and a car is a lethal weapon.

Just a tragic situation all the way around.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    No one ever wants to get a medal, especially after they receive it.

I don't know anyone who has a fond memory of how they earned their citation.

I don't know where to come down on this. I don't think that just being drunk while driving should be illegal, but the police should be allowed to defend themselves as well, and a car is a lethal weapon.

Just a tragic situation all the way around.

id like to win a special olympics medal :D

i might not be able to win **** at the regular olympics, but I bet I could sure give some cripples a run for their money. gold is gold right? ;)

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    looks like a lot of people looking for a pay check. Too bad the tax payers are the ones that pay it.

The grand jury investigation is for "civil rights violations" and is just the family complaining it's because he was black. It means less than nothing. Assuming the officer has done more than just this one incident this year, I don't have any problem with him being awarded an award if he deserves it. Who cares if the family is pissed? I'm sure a lot of people the cop arrested and gave tickets to don't want him getting an award either but oh well.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm not sure I could win a special olympics race. Maybe if it's a 60 foot race and I only had to do it once.

I puked my guts up last year just doing a "bed race" at Old Fashioned Days. It was maybe 200 meters.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    looks like a lot of people looking for a pay check. Too bad the tax payers are the ones that pay it.

The grand jury investigation is for "civil rights violations" and is just the family complaining it's because he was black. It means less than nothing. Assuming the officer has done more than just this one incident this year, I don't have any problem with him being awarded an award if he deserves it. Who cares if the family is pissed? I'm sure a lot of people the cop arrested and gave tickets to don't want him getting an award either but oh well.

Giving out an award for this just makes the CO feel better about putting an officer in harms way.

No one wants an award for killing a young man who was having a bad night and making some very bad decisions.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Giving out an award for this just makes the CO feel better about putting an officer in harms way.

No one wants an award for killing a young man who was having a bad night and making some very bad decisions.
    Does the award say, for killing a young man? I believe the statement said it was for how he handled himself since the situation, and I'm guessing pre-situation as well.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

grand juries mean as much to the justice system as the words that come out of a politicians mouth. a grand jury is not the same as a trial jury.

Come on Ranger. You usually don't say things this far out into la la land. You want to wait for the civil rights group of AG Holder's justice department to render a decision. The group that says they will not prosecute black pathers that intimidate white people at a polling place. The group that career employees have quit saying they were told to only prosecute white people for violating the rights of minorities.... really? You trust that finding more than a grand jury.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Does the award say, for killing a young man? I believe the statement said it was for how he handled himself since the situation, and I'm guessing pre-situation as well.

Maybe, but that's not what he's going to remember and think about when he looks at it.

Top Bottom