• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Make an excel spreadsheet with a bunch of random numbers in different cells. Title it "family phone numbers" or something innocuous.

In one cell, have your combination. That cell should be easy to remember. If my name were Bert, I'd put it in B4 (B, 4 letters), for example.

Email it to yourself.

Profit.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    With all this safe combo angst, you are making me afraid of forgetting mine. Need to write it down and keep it.

My Son had the car key in his pocket yesterday because he was first out the door and wanted to warm it up (press brake pedal/press start new fangled thing)... The car made a strange ding when he got out at school and I took off without the key.

After going to keyless start, I have misplaced it more than once.

Now where did I put my car key?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Got it! Knew the first, and last two..............so sat there grinding away trying it with a diff number (sequential).
    That 4 turn to clear to start each time............I think my wrist is gone.

I don't need the stress.

Cubs, Trump............deer season (lost safe combo).

OK, so the safe is open. And I didn't have to get a cool new saw to do it (that would have been a cool toy).

On a serious note, with all my combos,passwords..........working in engineering.............I have a zillion numbers in my head, and always keep em straight.
    Hell last week if you asked me what my HS locker combo was I'd probably have had it.

How in the world did I just space this combo?

Lack of sleep has been tremendous............but c'mon...............I had this memorized. For 4 yrs.
    And totally blanked the 2nd number.

I did kinda sorta remember that it was within a 20 or so number range of the first number.
    So just chugged through til I got it.

Am VERY disappointed in myself for having lost that 2nd number.

Something is not right.

It just boggles me that I forgot it.

Refer to post #4

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    With all this safe combo angst, you are making me afraid of forgetting mine. Need to write it down and keep it.

My Son had the car key in his pocket yesterday because he was first out the door and wanted to warm it up (press brake pedal/press start new fangled thing)... The car made a strange ding when he got out at school and I took off without the key.

After going to keyless start, I have misplaced it more than once.

Now where did I put my car key?

yup, happened to my mom when she got a push-to-start car, my wife and i have managed to keep from doing so ourselves after learning from that.

I still remember my HS locker combo too. 10...12 years ago. crap I'm starting to have to think about that, that's not a good sign.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    After it's all over.....

Two different friends/family have the key to the dial, and the combo to my "Big Johnson".

If I loose what I have here at home, I do have options...Bill.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    OP obviously needs to get out and shoot more. That would keep the number current in his head.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have been shooting the last few weeks.
    Had the combination easily recalled the last 4 years.

Even the witch goes "how in the hell did you forget that?"

Maybe my brain was overloaded with Sandra Smith images.........

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    With all of the website passwords, computer passwords, phone passwords, etc, I now just write it all in a book in my house. I am not to worried about a criminal finding it because I have well over 5,000 books in my house (that is not an exageration). The odds of a criminal figuring out which book it is AND cracking the coding system I use to write my usernames and passwords is less than the odds of them just guessing the combination of my safe.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

db7c912f4acb1be132a37324a4254f404333d7e471d39b347b04a301a775c3f0.jpg

Here you go.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Geez, you guys are a bunch of Rookies.

I wrote the combo on the outside door of my safe with a sharpie.

Watch and learn boys watch and learn. :lmfao:

I've done this but "coded" the numbers. First digit written was something like +1 of the real number, 2nd -2, 3rd +3 etc. I used it on a locker at at past job. I rarely used it but the few times I did, I never forgot it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Got it! Knew the first, and last two..............so sat there grinding away trying it with a diff number (sequential).
    That 4 turn to clear to start each time............I think my wrist is gone.

I don't need the stress.

Cubs, Trump............deer season (lost safe combo).

OK, so the safe is open. And I didn't have to get a cool new saw to do it (that would have been a cool toy).

On a serious note, with all my combos,passwords..........working in engineering.............I have a zillion numbers in my head, and always keep em straight.
    Hell last week if you asked me what my HS locker combo was I'd probably have had it.

How in the world did I just space this combo?

Lack of sleep has been tremendous............but c'mon...............I had this memorized. For 4 yrs.
    And totally blanked the 2nd number.

I did kinda sorta remember that it was within a 20 or so number range of the first number.
    So just chugged through til I got it.

Am VERY disappointed in myself for having lost that 2nd number.

Something is not right.

It just boggles me that I forgot it.

Use a good password manager that can sync across your computers and devices. The one I use uses very strong encryption and allows me to store passwords, bank account numbers, cc numbers, any important information, and it's all available on whatever device I happen to be using. Just don't forget that one password that unlocks all of that or you're screwed.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I use a piece of masking tape with my personal codes taped to the unseen back of my safes. Unless you know my screwed up system you'd better be a competent locksmith

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My dad used to disguise a combination as contact info in his phone book. He made up a person's name and embedded the numbers from the combination as the phone and address.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    As I age, the number of usernames and passwords increases dramatically. I typed up a page of them and photo'd it with my cell. Comes in handy, I had to use it just now to log in (I'm mostly a reader and rarely a poster). Health insurance, electric bill, paycheck verification, Gunbroker, Midway, Natchez, BMV......the list is endless.

For my safes, I have a Memo pad note with a to do list that says stuff like " Build shelf: 42x9x24" and just tape it to the inside of a cabinet or closet door in my gun room.

GunsRCool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I have a electronic safe. If i forget the code I just pull of the keypad and get one of my back up keys.

There are so many numbers and passwords that we all have to remember its insane.
    The one that gets me is my online banking. They make you change it every 60 or 90 days, can't use the same password over for a couple years. Kind of hurts the "to hell with security i'm using the same password everywhere" plan.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Well Karma just kicked my butt.

Thats what I get for being a wise guy.

I was building an AR for my wife and wanted to add the pink magpul furniture to it. I opened my safe to look for it because I couldn't find it anywhere else. I get the beep notification that my battery was getting low. No problem I have a 9 volt battery somewhere. After an extended search I found an Energizer Battery. I installed it with the door open and bolt locked.

Upon entering my combo it wouldn't open. I was concerned because the safe is open with several guns in it. My Grandchildern are living with me and will be home today. I'm leaving in the morning for a long trip to Portland, OR and Southern California for the week.

After messing with it for a few hours last night I left it for today.

I did read a post that said to only use duracell alkaline batteries. Potatoe..... Potaho.... yada yada.

When all else fails listen to what others have to say. I went to the store and bought a duracell alkaline battery.
    When I put the battery in and tried the password it didn't open. I then tried the factory code and SCORE! It opened. I tried it about three times before I closed the door.

I'm glad it all worked out.

Top Bottom