• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    My wife's cousin invited me to see Fantastic Four tonight. We always have a good time hanging out, so he and I and my BIL went to Muncie to watch it. I don't go to movies much, they're expensive and there are the security concerns. But once in a while I will go.

Overall, it was a great evening, as the company was great.

The movie S.U.C.K.S. I can not begin to describe how epic the fail is. Terrible writing, bad acting, horrendous plot progression, shallow characters. This film had it all. There was 1 hour and 20 minutes of build up. Show time was 9:30, and at 9:59 the opening studio credits came on the screen. At 11:17 my BIL and looked at each other and asked when they were going to actually do something besides backstory. A couple of minutes later the movie climaxed. As we walked across the parking lot, I looked down at my watch. It was 11:34. It all built up to almost nothing.

Anyway, if you were thinking about going, save your money. Consider yourself warned.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering about that one. It looked a bit iffy in the previews. We don't go to movies very much at all so we'll skip this one for sure. I think the last two movies we saw in a theater were Jurassic World and Guardians of the Galaxy. We may go to the final Hunger Games though.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The movie industry has really gone to the dogs over the last 10-20 years or so...
    A steady stream of comic book adaptations: Ant Man, anyone? Really?
    Over-reliance on CGI.
    Plot holes big enough that the Queen Mary couldn't plug them.
    The entire story substituting action and special effects for a coherent story line and plot.
    Awful acting.
    The endless sequels/prequels, so much so that it's almost more likely than not that a given movie will be recycled in such a manner.
    Worst of all, remakes of classic movies, as much of an admission as any that the movie studios' well of ideas is running dry. The one possible exception to the awful remakes is the Cohen Brothers' masterful version of True Grit.

The last two movies that I genuinely enjoyed were American Sniper and The Dark Knight (Joker, not Two Face).
    I also liked the three-part The Hobbit adaptations, but not nearly as much as The Lord of the Rings three-part adaptation.
    It would be nice if someone could do a proper adaptation of a Robert Heinlein or Ray Bradbury story, without destroying it the way the studios did with Starship Troopers, something more along the lines of how Kubrick did 2001: A Space Odyssey, but more faithful to the books.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Might still watch it in BD.

And as for movies that are good, there are still a lot. It's just there's more bad movies now too. I can name that are quality movies:

50/50
    Prisoners
    Jack Reacher
    Gone Girl
    Lovely Bones
    I, Origins
    Whiplash
    Source Code
    The Debt
    Side Effects
    Open Grave
    and many others.....

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Might still watch it in BD.

And as for movies that are good, there are still a lot. It's just there's more bad movies now too. I can name that are quality movies:

50/50
    Prisoners
    Jack Reacher
    Gone Girl
    Lovely Bones
    I, Origins
    Whiplash
    Source Code
    The Debt
    Side Effects
    Open Grave
    and many others.....

That list says a lot. I don't study the industry as such, but I'm in touch with things generally, and I don't recall ever seeing any of those marketed by name. In my experience, most of my favorites are either cult or things I've stumbled into myself. The studios' tiny degenerated minds have a rudimentary learning capacity, and push the stuff that's proven to have high margin. The sheeple self-herd to whatever gets marketed at them most vigorously. Now I have some titles to check out.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Dang. Kids wanted to see it today. Guess I'll just go for the real popcorn and real butter at our local theater. At least at $4 ticket it won't hurt the pocketbook much.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Johnny storm was never a young man of color. I read every comic and never once saw this.
    Not a racial knock in the least I am just amazed they take such liberty's.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The movie industry has really gone to the dogs over the last 10-20 years or so...
    A steady stream of comic book adaptations: Ant Man, anyone? Really?
    Over-reliance on CGI.
    Plot holes big enough that the Queen Mary couldn't plug them.
    The entire story substituting action and special effects for a coherent story line and plot.
    Awful acting.
    The endless sequels/prequels, so much so that it's almost more likely than not that a given movie will be recycled in such a manner.
    Worst of all, remakes of classic movies, as much of an admission as any that the movie studios' well of ideas is running dry. The one possible exception to the awful remakes is the Cohen Brothers' masterful version of True Grit.

The last two movies that I genuinely enjoyed were American Sniper and The Dark Knight (Joker, not Two Face).
    I also liked the three-part The Hobbit adaptations, but not nearly as much as The Lord of the Rings three-part adaptation.
    It would be nice if someone could do a proper adaptation of a Robert Heinlein or Ray Bradbury story, without destroying it the way the studios did with Starship Troopers, something more along the lines of how Kubrick did 2001: A Space Odyssey, but more faithful to the books.

That would take "Effort"

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

I agree. We seldom go to the movies anymore, maybe once or twice a year.

I have found I much rather watch an original series from HBO or even AMC than most theatrical releases. Over the last ten years HBO has had Band of Brothers, Deadwood, The Pacific, Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Boardwalk, Rome, ect. all much more original and better made than most movies. . . in my opinion.

As to the OPs original post. Thanks for the update. By watching the previews I figured it was a turd. Not even Jessica Alba in her bra and panties could save the original one from being un-watchable.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Based on the commercials and comments here, it seems like the producers/directors/writers chose to change the wrong things to make a good movie based on a classic team of comic book heroes.

Of course, there is a precedent for truly horrible Fantastic 4 movies (i.e. the one that almost no one has seen, but we're all heard about how horrible it was).

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington

You have to keep in mind that the US box office is now a far smaller piece of the overall "take" of a movie than 20 years ago. Most of the remakes of classic films, reboots and comic book adaptations were geared to the Far East market and their HUGE audience share.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    All the critics are killing it too. Btw, Ant Man, which I thought would suck, is awesome. It might be my favorite Marvel movie, and that's saying a lot considering Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Blade, and Marve's other great flicks.

Top Bottom