• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Does anyone have their pickup trk registered as a farm truck with farm plates?
    what are the requirements to do so and what are the benefits?? What are the downfalls?
    do vehicles registered as farm vehicles still have to be emissions tested?
    I own 3 vehicles and due to their age are becoming more and more difficult to get to pass the emissions test but they are still great vehicles and it would be a shame to have to scrap them as a result of not passing. Any light that can be shed would be greatly appreciated. Believe it or not the BMV really wasn't very helpful.

Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Yes I looked at te BMV page and did not see what the requirements were to be classified as a farm truck. I own 10 acres and we sell hay and raise chickens. Is it a farm??? Well I don't know? This is why I am asking these questions. Yes(gasp) I am trying to find a loophole around this stupid emissions test. The emissions test I speak of is in lake and porter counties so the government can squeeze more revenue from us northerners.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    The only downside IIRC is that you were only supposed to drive them so far away from the county they are registered in. Been awhile since I had them though so I can't be sure it's still true.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    I saw the weight requiremen , but I also see trks in my county that are plated with farm plates and they are standard duty 1/2 ton trks like mine which fall below the 11000# requirement. My GVWR is 7000.
    Antique plates were an option until I saw all the restrictions like I must carry antique car insurance on the vehicle or I can only drive it 3k miles a year and I must show proof that I show the car a certain number of times a year.

Last edited:

Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    I do...I told wife I wanted them when we bought our little place out in the country..Wife told the BMV I wanted one and BMV said I can have one...So I do...I keep a piece of straw to chew on when I am leaning against my truck....

is your truck GVWR 11000# or greater? What type of restrictions are you held to such as leaving the county or state that the truck is registered in?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    State Form 55669 references CFR 390.5 and defines a farm vehicle as a straight truck, "...used to transport agricultural commodities, livestock,..."

Therefore, to plate a vehicle as a farm truck with no real intention to use it as such is dishonest, IMHO.

I suggest you leave Chicago and move to Indiana.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes I looked at te BMV page and did not see what the requirements were to be classified as a farm truck. I own 10 acres and we sell hay and raise chickens. Is it a farm??? Well I don't know? This is why I am asking these questions. Yes(gasp) I am trying to find a loophole around this stupid emissions test. The emissions test I speak of is in lake and porter counties so the government can squeeze more revenue from us northerners.

Sorry, I didn't see this.

dVDJiez.gif

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You can up- and de-rate the REGISTERED gross weight. My GMC 2500 is de-rated to 7,000 lbs (cheaper, and I don't haul THAT much). My trailer is UP rated to 9000 lbs, even though it is a 7000 lbs trailer.

The weight rating is one way to discourage folks from getting farm plates for any random vehicle. It really needs to be an actual "farm truck", not some little Mazda or Honda.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    is your truck GVWR 11000# or greater? What type of restrictions are you held to such as leaving the county or state that the truck is registered in?

I drive it to work and to the farm on the weekend...I haul 250 gallons of water in a tank sometimes in the back..It's a 1993 Ford F150...Wife was here so I asked, she said the BMV said nothing about requirements...She said she just told her "We have a little place in the country and my husband always wanted a Farm License plate...Can he get one?" and the lady said "Yes" and handed it to her....

Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    State Form 55669 references CFR 390.5 and defines a farm vehicle as a straight truck, "...used to transport agricultural commodities, livestock,..."

Therefore, to plate a vehicle as a farm truck with no real intention to use it as such is dishonest, IMHO.

I suggest you leave Chicago and move to Indiana.[/QUOTE

my intentions may not be 100%pure, but the emissions testing here is a joke. 1000's of trucks and busses pass through here hourly with no emissions regulations and diesel pickup owners are modifying their trucks to over fuel and"roll coal" but the epa puts the regulations on the people trying to keep what they have in decent order without shelling out tons of money to satisfy a regulation that is quite honestly smoke and mirrors.
    Also incase you were wondering .... Lake and porter county are in Indiana.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Looking cool trumps dishonesty...Hauling water is a commodity...Sort of...Kind of....It makes her happy when I fill up the hillbilly hot tub by the barn so technically I hauled water to make my wife happy which makes that water a commodity in the game of making mama happy...

I think I'm okay....

(Jetta is going to spray paint "Poser" on my truck the next time he's down....I just know it...:))

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I saw the weight requiremen , but I also see trks in my county that are plated with farm plates and they are standard duty 1/2 ton trks like mine which fall below the 11000# requirement. My GVWR is 7000.
    Antique plates were an option until I saw all the restrictions like I must carry antique car insurance on the vehicle or I can only drive it 3k miles a year and I must show proof that I show the car a certain number of times a year.

Where did you see those restrictions? Because I have an Antique plate on my truck, and was never made aware of those restrictions by the BMV. Not that I don't believe you, I am just curious as I don't show my truck, nor have antique car insurance for it (just regular insurance), and I want to make sure I'm not gonna get screwed somewhere down the road (no pun intended). I see no mention of those restrictions on the BMV site about antique plates here>> BMV: Antique/Historic Vehicle

Last edited:
    Top Bottom