• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I do...I told wife I wanted them when we bought our little place out in the country..Wife told the BMV I wanted one and BMV said I can have one...So I do...I keep a piece of straw to chew on when I am leaning against my truck....

I maintain my rural cred with a 4-H Foundation plate, which also gives money to 4-H, and a Porter County Fair window sticker.

Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Where did you see those restrictions? Because I have an Antique plate on my truck, and was never made aware of those restrictions by the BMV. Not that I don't believe you, I am just curious as I don't show my truck, nor have antique car insurance for it (just regular insurance), and I want to make sure I'm not gonna get screwed somewhere down the road (no pun intended). I see no mention of those restrictions on the BMV site about antique plates here>> BMV: Antique/Historic Vehicle

What at year is your truck?? If it is 76 or older those rules don't apply to you. When I called BMV they told me in order to get the antique played I had to either provide them with an insurance policy for antique vehicles or a mileage statement and proof of entering car shows. I'll assume if they don't ask you for those documents then you must be older than 1976??

Also it could be you aren't in an area that requires
    Emissions testing.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We carry antique auto insurance on two of our vehicles. It is a lot cheaper than liability and we have full coverage with no deductible on those two. We do hit a few shows and following the mileage restrictions isn't an issue since those two never see snow or salt.

Are antique plates cheaper than regular? I guess I never really looked into that. If not, what is the advantage to having them?

Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Are antique plates cheaper than regular? I guess I never really looked into that. If not, what is the advantage to having them?[/QUOTE]

The advantage to having antique plates for me would be the exemption from emissions testing. Other than that I'm not sure of any other advantages.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Are antique plates cheaper than regular? I guess I never really looked into that. If not, what is the advantage to having them?

The advantage to having antique plates for me would be the exemption from emissions testing. Other than that I'm not sure of any other advantages.[/QUOTE]

Okay. They do appear a little cheaper. Truck plates are just over $30 and Antique truck plates are $21.75...

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    What at year is your truck?? If it is 76 or older those rules don't apply to you. When I called BMV they told me in order to get the antique played I had to either provide them with an insurance policy for antique vehicles or a mileage statement and proof of entering car shows. I'll assume if they don't ask you for those documents then you must be older than 1976??

Also it could be you aren't in an area that requires
    Emissions testing.

My truck is an 87 (hardly an antique at all). I just got the antique plate so I could participate in the Year of Manufacture plate program. They didn't ask me anything regarding milage or special insurance. In fact, my milage is exempt due to those old 5 digit odometers. I do live in an area that does not require emissions testing, but don't see how that would change the BMV's rules on what vehicles are eligible for antique plates since it is still all under the same IN BMV. I could be wrong though. I've called the BMV many times regarding questions about things, and I learned that the information they give me changes depending who I talk to.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Looking cool trumps dishonesty...Hauling water is a commodity...Sort of...Kind of....It makes her happy when I fill up the hillbilly hot tub by the barn so technically I hauled water to make my wife happy which makes that water a commodity in the game of making mama happy...

I think I'm okay....

(Jetta is going to spray paint "Poser" on my truck the next time he's down....I just know it...:))

It's got to be easy to pick out...
    chariots_100crop_t.jpg

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Churchmouse has antique plates...He just put a leather thong through the holes and wears them like necklace's...He says he does it to be fashionable but I think he does it for discounts at Cracker Barrel....

That's his Hey Kitty! purse. And he definitely couldn't pass an emissions check.

Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    So to those that have farm plates.......
    are you aware of any restrictions to driving the truck for personal use and or taking it across state lines?
    BMV won't share any restrictions with me since they do not enforce the laws they can't tell me what they are I was told I'd have to call the Indiana motor carrier enforcement as well as call every state that I want to travel to and ask them what their laws are specific to my situation

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So to those that have farm plates.......
    are you aware of any restrictions to driving the truck for personal use and or taking it across state lines?
    BMV won't share any restrictions with me since they do not enforce the laws they can't tell me what they are I was told I'd have to call the Indiana motor carrier enforcement as well as call every state that I want to travel to and ask them what their laws are specific to my situation

Just keep country music on while driving your farm truck...They will never question you then...If they ask you to say something "rural" just kind of say, "Yep" and pull a bandanna out of your back pocket and wipe your brow with it...Keep a Rural King hat on the dash board...You'll be fine...

PS- I think you are worrying too much....:)

Top Bottom