• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    I was out doing some yard work about 20ft from my property line and a farmer was spraying something??? I would like to know do I have any rights as to how close the farmer can plant to the property line??? It seems that he plants right up to the line. Thanks for any help you can give

Thanks for the comments everyone I guess at the time I was out doing the yard work I over reacted a little. I was tring to get some things squared away for my apple trees this year and it just caught me off gaurd.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I was out doing some yard work about 20ft from my property line and a farmer was spraying something??? I would like to know do I have any rights as to how close the farmer can plant to the property line??? It seems that he plants right up to the line. Thanks for any help you can give
    Does the Farmer have Rights to how close you plant towards the Property Line?! :popcorn:

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yes. You have the right to buy a bigger piece of ground. How would owning your parcel have any bearing whatsoever on what your neighbor farmer does on his ground?

How about you try this approach. Next time you see him out there go offer him a cold drink. Or just say hi. Or ask him to go for a round in the tractor. Chances have it he's a pretty decent guy.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I'm guessing the farm ground that he's working was there prior to buildings of homes.

While it might cause you and/or pets a temporary irritant,
    I doubt that it's lethal or he would be planted himself.

Its his ground, he will probably work the ground and plant right up to the line.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The best thing you can do is talk to him. Most farmers do a great job of making sure they don't spray peoples yards.

Whatever you do don't burn bridges with the farmers around you. You'll need them before they'll ever need you.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The best thing you can do is talk to him. Most farmers do a great job of making sure they don't spray peoples yards.

Whatever you do don't burn bridges with the farmers around you. You'll need them before they'll ever need you.

i ask the farmer to try and overspray and he usually does. i only use liquid weadeaters:D. every drop he over sprays is one less drop i have to buy.

if it wasn't so expensive id pave my yard and paint it green

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    I being a farmer will say that we do our absolute best to never overspray. Now that being said I offer you this. How close can you grow grass to the property line. I don't mean to sound offensive by any means but really think about it.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    That chemical he is spraying is expensive and over spray will cost them a lot of wasted money over their field/fields. I really don't think that you will have much of a problem. Do you have any plants next to the property line that you are worrying about?

Chuck

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My guess was he was spraying Anhydrous Ammonia, at least thats what I have seen farmers spraying recently. If it was, you'd know it. It's pretty strong. BTW, Im not a farmer, but I was taking my best guess, and I DIDNT stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    your best bet is ask him to overspray some lime and fertelizer, and if its herbacide replant your yard,

Sorry I don't have much sympathy for housing additions and people cutting into farm fields to build houses,

Yes I'm a jerk but I"m ok with it.

I don't know a farmer that wouldn't meet you in the middle on fixing an overspray problem but Don't go get in his face and tell him you'll have him shut down and sue and whaaaa whaaa wahaaaaaaaaa,

Don't mess with your food supply

capn willie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    I feel bad for the OP
    Poor guy buys a house, and some farm grows up around it after the purchase.

Countin down the days to June
    Can't wait to see how many cars I can back up behind my hay wagons

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    you also have the right to talk to him and tell him to stop inching in on your property. you need to make sure hes isnt coming onto your land. we own a lot of ground and the farmers are always trying to inch in on us so i just hammered 5 foot metal rods into the ground on my property line. last tiime we had checked they had move 15 feet onto our land and so we took them to court now the farmer has is being forced to pay us for the past 10 years for the use of our land... I think if everyone does what my wife and i did they wouldnt think that all of the land is theirs.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My guess was he was spraying Anhydrous Ammonia, at least thats what I have seen farmers spraying recently. If it was, you'd know it. It's pretty strong. BTW, Im not a farmer, but I was taking my best guess, and I DIDNT stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

If it was anhydrous, your grass will grow like it's on roids. Probably not though as it is injected and not sprayed. We lease our land out now days and when I told our farmer that I was planting some grass he offered to run through the area with anhydrous. Went out a few days later and hydroseeded it. Grass grew like nothing I've ever seen, just on the exact 30 inch centerlines of the tines on his applicator.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Look into a line fence if you don't already have one. If you've already got one, then keep it up and don't worry about how close he's planting to it on his side.

Good Fences = Good Neighbors.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

Anhydrous Ammonia isn't "sprayed". It is incorporated into the soil through "knives" that run below the soil surface. Since it is a gas "spaying" it wouln't be very useful. LOL

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    BTW I know a certain homeowner that complains about anything a adjacent farmer does. Several load of all natural manure now gets spread on fields close to that homeowner.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Are there any "rights" as to how close you can stand to your property line.? Sounds like a good condo in town might be the ticket.

Top Bottom