• ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    How are your yields looking?!

We are running Soybeans with a Yield Average trying to knock on 70 Bu/ac at about 11-13% Moisture.

We have yet to crack open a Corn Field yet though...

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    Still waiting for corn to dry down a bit more. Soybeans look good but still a week or two out.. Its threating rain so we maybe on hold a bit.. I have 50 acres of hay thats been down a week and it won't dry down.. bouncing between 20 and 30 percent.. grrrrr Looks like I got the hold field sold for balage if the rain holds off.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    we ran some non gmo corn last week that was sprayed with roundup:rolleyes:. 19%
    40-50 bu/ac (when its that low you dont keep real good track, but the spraying company knows every kernal that came out, because they are paying for what didnt)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Latest I talked to dad (NE Indiana) he cut 1 early field of beans that has ran low fifties so far. There are some green spots they skipped so he expects that to be close to mid-upper 50's when finished. He says that is probably easily his worst field of beans.

Only shelled 1 field of corn so far and it just barely broke 100. Having a lot of problems with brittle stalks, and the ears falling off the stalks the instant the head touches the stalk. Not necessarily a big problem for most people that can drive straight, but he runs twin-row corn through a normal corn head so there is no way to drive straight on the rows, which becomes a big problem when you have brittle stalks. He put the corn reel on to help pull some of it in better but still not looking good last I heard. Guess the deer will have some to eat this year...

ETA, co-workers corn is running anywhere from 20-100 depending on soil condition & specific location. They haven't touched any beans yet that I know of.

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    Corn running about 100 bu per acre and beans from 50 -60 bu per acre. Don't know how it made anything with the heat and little rain just blessed to have this much

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    The people that ran our field got 30bu out of a field that usually produces in the 130bu range. so it was really bad for our area. No beans done yet.

farmdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    We finished corn at about 70 bushel an acre average in the Montgomery/Fountain county area. We have only harvested drought and hail damaged beans so far. We are getting about 30 bushel an acre, but hopefully the undamaged beans will do better.
    By the way (IndyGunWorks), in case you are wondering why watering the corn didn't help this year; it was just plain too hot to pollinate properly. Pollination typically happens under 75 degrees or thereabouts. In drought conditions pollination typically waits until nighttime (check the ears at night, and in cool conditions they will unfurl to expose the silks better). This year, with even the nights being too hot, the pollen literally fell after it had gone "stale" in some areas of the state. This has been the typical issue in this years non-producing fields that I have observed across the midwestern US. I hope that is useful information.
    Good luck to the rest of you, and have a safe harvest.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    We finished corn at about 70 bushel an acre average in the Montgomery/Fountain county area. We have only harvested drought and hail damaged beans so far. We are getting about 30 bushel an acre, but hopefully the undamaged beans will do better.
    By the way (IndyGunWorks), in case you are wondering why watering the corn didn't help this year; it was just plain too hot to pollinate properly. Pollination typically happens under 75 degrees or thereabouts. In drought conditions pollination typically waits until nighttime (check the ears at night, and in cool conditions they will unfurl to expose the silks better). This year, with even the nights being too hot, the pollen literally fell after it had gone "stale" in some areas of the state. This has been the typical issue in this years non-producing fields that I have observed across the midwestern US. I hope that is useful information.
    Good luck to the rest of you, and have a safe harvest.

If thats the case wouldnt it help to have a couple hives of honey bees throughout the farm? Seems they would help the pollination rate during tough times?

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    If thats the case wouldnt it help to have a couple hives of honey bees throughout the farm? Seems they would help the pollination rate during tough times?

Might work except corn byproducts gmo/fungicides/roundup/ pick your other poison are part of whats killing the bee's. Its not the only factor just one of many. The head of the bee association I am with lost a 100 hives parked next to a corn field. You will not find many bee keepers willing to take the chance. Unless you were organic corn and soybeans. I stand on both sides of this issue raising bee's and corn,hay and soybeans.. :twocents:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    According the monitor, my brother says beans have been between 55-65, corn all over the place at 10-105, but falling into the upper 70's an an average. They apperantly got into some better corn over the last week, because the weekend before last he said the average was in the 50's.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had some corn in NW Indiana (jasper County) that I was worried about.

I ended up getting 147 bushels an acre.

Nothing record breaking, but enough to cover my production loan and pay a few bills.

Could've been A LOT worse!

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Waiting until later in the week to start on beans. Popcorn did pretty well.

It's that time to reorder seeds...I can help with that. Dekalb/Asgrow!

Top Bottom